Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Justifying the purchase of management systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mikmak
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

As I said in my introduction thread, my company has developed a range of management systems (as have a few members on here) which help business managers do what they do best: manage.

Our products range from OHS and EHS, to Risk Management, Quality Management and integrated customised solutions/applications.

The biggest hurdle we have come across is the reluctance for small businesses to engage such systems, citing “return on investment” as the most significant discouragement.

I can obviously see the point of view, but at the same time, coming from a background of relentless, inherent mortal danger (helicopters at sea), I can see the other side of the coin (that being the need for monitoring of various risks in your environment), making it much easier for me to rationalise what is a rather small outlay (I’ll keep costs out of it since I am not sure on the allowable content on this forum, but I’ll just say that our small business OHSMS costs less than a laptop!).

As you may have guessed, sales is not my primary vocation. Generally speaking, my experience lay more in the analysis and standards compliance side of things.

To give you an idea of the product, here’s a few bullet points:

Sharepoint hosted system

Management Procedures are already written for you.

Entry Level OHS is set up for 1-8 people (ideally for singular independent operators)

Larger Systems are Fully Compliant with relevant ISO/AS/NZS and support companies with upto 100 personnel (or more with certain additional requirements)

Rapid Enabling (Entry Level is ready for use in <24 hours, larger systems can be as quick as 3 weeks!)

We support the customer during and post certification (where ISO 9001:2008 is pursued for example).

So I guess what I am asking is, how do you view management systems? Is it mainly cost or do you believe they are not important?

Does the name Management System sound daunting?

Let’s remember that we are not just talking about OHS (of which every workplace is actually required to have one, but we try not to use scare tactics to corral customers), but essentially just the ability to organise what you already have.

Management systems (in my opinion at least) make time. If you effectively manage the ancillary and regulatory functions of your company, the more time you will have on focusing on the more important facets of your business: product development, investigating development opportunities, and heaven forbid, perhaps a split second for yourself (or in my case time for my 2 kids under 6!).

I guess the biggest return on investment is time itself. How do you put a dollar value on that, in order to demonstrate the return on investment?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mick

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Hi Mick,

I can see the obvious value in your product but of course the average business owner lives in a murky world and they find it hard to see the value you bring and they don’t want to have to work to see that value.

So your job is to get them to paint a vivid picture of where they are now (problems) and where they could be so answer this question:

What are the top 3 problems that your customer has that your product uniquely solves?

Cheers,

Will

mikmak
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi Will,

Sorry I didn’t get back here sooner. Sometimes life gets a bit nuts.

As for the product, I guess the 3 key (attractive benefits) are organisation, organisation and organisation. At the moment we have the system set up for Standards specific management such as 9001:2008 (Quality System), but we have found more attraction from businesses wanting bespoke management tools as well.
    Registers for Servicing of equipment, or, Hazardous Substances and the like probably don’t hit home so much with small business (though everyone is supposed to have at least a Hazardous substances register, no matter how basic), but the key point is identifying which you as the customer would like to monitor.

For example, product sales, whether they be physical items or specific services, need to be analysed to properly justify their existence. From time to time you may vary your product line and one item may become a more significant part of your business than you had originally conceived. Do you refocus your business around that new product? Do you develop a line to collaberate with your n product? These are pretty involving decisions that require plenty of time and analysis.

The right tools can provide the right information to reduce the time spent on analysis, allowing more extensive product development time.

Management systems are used by companies to regulate growth and monitor process. The latter is usually based on regulatory requirements, but they didn’t grow in the first place with out refining their product and monitoring it’s success.

If you don’t have enough time right now, your company is too busy. That means you are ready to grow. If you grow without a management system, well…. you don’t necessarily get any more time to enjoy your success, or effectively manage it.

Not sure how to bullet point all that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.