Home – New Forums Tech talk Keywords, backlinks , SEO and all that stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

There are quite a few threads on that subject here already but I must say, that I know very little on that subject. What I am really very keen to find out form anyone here on the FS forums is this – has anyone actually done the required whatever SEO steps, keywords, backlinks and whatever else that is being recommended AND found, that it actually made a difference to his/hers business. Not just in increased traffic to the website but also in increased leads and actual business being done. After all – isn’t this what it’s all about.
    So let’s hear some stories.

Rgds

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi travelmaster,
    it has definitely had a huge difference for us. When we started we were page 7 on Google, averaging 70-80 hits a month. We’ve conducted SEO on our own website and are receiving 1000’s of hits a month now from some top of page 1 listings.

As long as your website is of high enough quality to convert the extra leads, then you should see a pretty amazing benefit from SEO. I guess your trying to see whether there is good value in it for your business?

travelmaster
    Up

Thks for your reply Mike,
    Yes, I am trying to get some idea from pple out there who have done the excercise and actually benefited from it. But like I said – not just “more hits” but more actual business. So can you confirm that you do have more real business and can trace it down to these SEO actions.
    But what puzzles me even more is the fact that you are the only one who has put a hand up. Could it be that there is no other business out there that can say they benefirt from SEO actions?

rgds

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Travelmaster,
    I’m sure we’ll get more responses over time on this but I can say that SEO has been hugely effective for me in delivering real clients and leads. When I first started my copywriting business I focused on terms such as ‘sydney copywriter’ and other than word of mouth, direct leads through people finding me on search engines has delivered regular projects. Admittedly it was a lot easier seven or eight years ago when it was less competitive, but the effort from back then still delivers results today even though I’m totally slack at maintaining the effort.

From a Flying Solo point of view, search engine optimisation has been a major driver of our traffic over the years. It’s not a major focus for us, but we just try and get some of the SEO basics right for each piece of content we publish and it helps people find the content they’re after. Our first focus though is creating valuable, original content that is relevant for our members.

Personally I think SEO is well worth investing in for small businesses. But in my experience it’s not necessarily a instant fix-all, but with ongoing time and investment it can become a genuine long-term driver of new customers. I suggest getting expert advice but also make the effort to understand the basics yourself as there is a lot you can do yourself if you have the right knowledge.

There are plenty of great SEO people in the FS community too!

All the best,
    Peter

travelmaster
    Up

Thank you Peter the FS perspective.
    I fully agree with what you are saying and am about to go through some actions to improve our current website. I guess the subject must have hit the right note to get a reply from the very top at FS. I really do appreciate it. Anyway, let’s see who else can add their responses on the subject.

btw – FS is the best website for anyone in small business – absolutely full points for creating it. Well done.

Rgds

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Voltek,

I hesitated to reply even though I have a number of examples, only because i’m “in the industry” of SEO, and didn’t want to sound like I was pushing my own baton when you wanted “real user” examples.

However since few have replied i’ll pipe up.

One good example is a website i’ve been working on for the past 3 years, although it’s had page one rankings from about 3 months into the life of the website. The business is called National Stockyard Systems and is located at http://www.nationalstockyards.com.au
    It can be easily found from a huge range of relevant search terms, such as cattle yards, stock yards, stockyards, cattle crush, cattle crushes, cattle yard panels, small cattle yards, large cattle yards, cattle yard designs etc.
    Not all of these are at #1 as it tends to be a constant battle against a particular couple of competitors, but all are in the top 3 or 4 results and the site receives visits based on searches from several hundred different keywords each month.

When the site started the business was only a few months old and had 3 staff. In four years the business has grown to around 15 staff, and has recently moved into huge new custom built premises. All of this is not just due to the website of course as the business owner is a very smart operator, however without giving any exact figures away around 40% of the companies sales come directly from the website (the balance comes from exhibiting at field days, through word of mouth and via local customers).

There is no google adwords used, no paid directory listings, no social media etc, so ALL search engine traffic basically comes from either Google or via other links and free directory listings created as part of the SEO process.

The website is very basic looking (intentionally) and doesn’t even have a contact form or email listed (also intentionally), just a phone number to call. Yet the development and SEO of the website has become a major contributor to business growth and ongoing revenues.

So, yes, SEO does work, even in an industry where the target is farmers who many may not think would even be looking online.

If anyone reads this and would like a reference of my work, please don’t hesitate to contact Murray. Contact details on his site.

Matt

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 50161 wrote:
    Thks for your reply Mike,
    Yes, I am trying to get some idea from pple out there who have done the excercise and actually benefited from it. But like I said – not just “more hits” but more actual business. So can you confirm that you do have more real business and can trace it down to these SEO actions.
    But what puzzles me even more is the fact that you are the only one who has put a hand up. Could it be that there is no other business out there that can say they benefirt from SEO actions?

rgds

Hi Voytek,
    sorry I should have actually referred to the work that we get from SEO, not just the extra hits. We ask how people heard of us through every enquiry that we get and between 50-60% of them are through search engines. The same percentage would apply for our new sales. About 50% of our new sales come from SEO referrals.

Google Analytics is a wonderful thing! It’s so handy being able to measure these things.

Cheers,
    Mike

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Hi Voltek,

It has taken me over 3 years to get to the top of google for some highly competitive keywords very specific to my business, for 1 of my websites.

I have found since reaching the top, I have 3x the traffic and when its combined with my normal adwords campaigns, around 50% more conversions.

Many people when looking for services I supply shop around, however I mainly attribute my success to the ‘effect’ having your site at the top of google, combined with adwords adverts side by side giving searchers a solid impression of your brand and thus more chance of them choosing you on their first click than other sites.

Now, to do it all again x3 for my other sites!

cheers

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 50167 wrote:
    btw – FS is the best website for anyone in small business – absolutely full points for creating it. Well done.
    Rgds

Thanks Travelmaster!! It’s discussions like these and thousands of others that are so valuable for this community so thank you and everyone for contributing so generously.
    Cheers
    Peter

ClareS
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

This is an excellent topic.
    For a long time I was struggling and then I actually did an online course in SEO, online business, etc.
    The results have been great for me. While I may look at outsourcing in the future, I am glad I can do it for myself right now.
    Travelmaster – I would look at education as well if I were you.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

I’ve found the trick is to keep it simple – optimize a page (including meta, headline, content, etc.) for just one keyword/phrase per page.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    travelmaster, post: 50063 wrote:
    Hi all,

AND found, that it actually made a difference to his/hers business. Not just in increased traffic to the website but also in increased leads and actual business being done. After all – isn’t this what it’s all about.
    So let’s hear some stories.

Rgds

August 09 compared to August 2010 increase in visitors to website = +64%

August 09 compared to August 2010 increase in $ revenue in bricks & mortar shop +34%.

Only other advertising is the shop front.

Regards

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Voytek,

It is very wise to be sceptical, particularly when you are in a very competitive industry where a skilled SEO service is esential.

I can offer you the name of a Sydney-based guy in the travel industry who I understand has successfully used the web to increase his business and I have not provided him with any services so it is an unbiased referral.

Send me a PM if you would like the contact details. He is on the other side of the Roseville bridge to you.

Regs,

JohnW

Kellie Dobbie
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I actually engaged the service of a professional to take care of my site’s SEO and now I’m reaping the rewards. Increased traffic to my website eventually translated to increased business.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Old thread, but thought I’d still chime in.

SEO is like just about anything capable-minded folks can tackle, if you’ve got the time and wherewithal, you can learn how to fix that leaky toilet.

OR… you can just pay someone and have a pretty good chance that they’ll do it right.

And a really, really nice one will tell you that you got the dizflibberator valve on backwards and that you should watch out for that next time. Heh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.