Home – New Forums Selling online Keywords, do people search “Australia only”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

I am just dotting down some keywords and how they come up in google.
    I sell Australia only. If I want to buy something I always search “Australia only”, but what do other people do? To find out which keywords rank high – do people search the web or Australia only?

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Everyone searches differently.

Best strategy is to show up without having to filter results.

heftzwecke
    Up

Thanks that’s all I need. I use startpage anyway but test in google.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245181, member: 88078 wrote:
    I am just dotting down some keywords and how they come up in google.
    I sell Australia only. If I want to buy something I always search “Australia only”, but what do other people do? To find out which keywords rank high – do people search the web or Australia only?
    as default, google.com.au is used if customers are in Australia. If they have the intention not to search within Australia, they would go to google.com/ncr to search world wide instead
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

There are a lot of keyword search tools available, none of which are perfect including Google’s Keyword Planner (you have to have an Adwords account to use it).

Any of them will give you a sense of what people search for.

brownlawpl
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

If you search for Australia then you should in google.au . if you do this, then you get best result.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

The best tool Ive found for keyword research is SEMRush, and to be honest its not even a keyword research tool.

It allows you to enter a competitors web address, then shows you what terms they rank for. Do this for a number of key websites and youll have real data to work from – plus you can see exactly what theyve done to rank for those terms.

I do SEO for a living and rarely (if ever) use the Google Keyword Planner.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 245290, member: 39536 wrote:
    The best tool Ive found for keyword research is SEMRush, and to be honest its not even a keyword research tool.

It allows you to enter a competitors web address, then shows you what terms they rank for. Do this for a number of key websites and youll have real data to work from – plus you can see exactly what theyve done to rank for those terms.

I do SEO for a living and rarely (if ever) use the Google Keyword Planner.

Hey JohnR – I keep trialing that tool against websites I control and it keeps showing me rubbish when I look for the suggestions based on those sites! I mean serious rubbish, e.g. a telco type site is apparently targeting a medical procedure (it isn’t).

Same with AdWords suggestions, it guesses at the target keywords based on the ads without any adjustment for negatives or match types.

I could give more examples but they’re equally as laughable – is it just me?!

heftzwecke
    Up

I tried some of these tools but nothing useful came up. I now try to use the plant name, the plant name + herb or plant more often throughout. The trouble is the latin names change all the time and there are various common names, if I use them interchangibly then the reader gets confused. I didn’t use h1 titles in my descritions so far – I am about to change that (it is still raining and there are 138 to go!)

burtontelford
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245181, member: 88078 wrote:
    – do people search the web or Australia only?

Depends on the product… some people want Australian products so they may filter it to Australia Only.

heftzwecke
    Up

I cannot send overseas.

Andy McWhirter
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Set your keywords planner to the US, not Australia. It’s a much larger sample size and more applicable for niche queries that may not have enough data for Australia.

That said, I don’t find the keywords planner particularly useful. I think it’s more important to brainstorm synonyms and long chain key words, and using these in your Title, Meta Desc, H1s and content.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

If you only supply to Australia, all other web traffic is totally irrelevant.

To largely exclude the rest, set your Google Console/Webmaster Tool to target Australian customers. See, “Search Console Help – Target your search results to a specific country

G already presets Au residents to search on G.com.au. The vast majority of searchers do NOT go selecting between G.com or G.com.au or G.com/ncr unless they are hardcore SEOs.

If you are targeting Au customers it then does not matter whether your site is a .com or .com.au domain. Google will rank a .com site as if it was a .com.au domain.

Other issues to consider…

Some Au customers prefer to do business with Au companies so they have local consumer law protection and a local entity to complain to/about.

Is a more specific location important to your customers? Depending on the product category, you could find that many potential customers also include a city/town search word.

Some products may be freight free to local customers or free in-store pick-up may be a common practice.

Check for the importance of town/city search words with G’s predictive search function. Type in a product category and see if location words occur in the drop-down predictive results.

Eg. Sydney or Melbourne in the predictive search box. If not, cross check by adding “(space) S” to your product category search to see if “Sydney” displays in the predictive search.

Few potential customers make a single search query and then buy something.

So forget keyword planners!

They only tell you where a small number of searchers start their journey. They don’t tell you what search queries people use when they are ready to purchase and they don’t give info about the use of multi-devices in the process.

Virtually every product search includes these search methods as people progress through their purchasing process.

Search for:

• A problem or a solution
    • A product category search
    • A product sub-category search
    • A product brand name search
    • A type of business that can supply the product
    • A specific business name
    • Ready to buy search words: Location words, online, retail, shop, store, price, quote, free, best, discount, freight, delivery, reviews, testimonials, etc.

I hope you don’t need a keyword planner to tell you what words are relevant to your business for these types of search options because keyword planners provide very poor and incomplete answers.

Please remember, SEs do NOT rank exact match search terms, they rank how the individual words in a search query are used on a page and on those that link to it. There are NO exact match web pages for most search queries. Exact match has very litlle impact on a page’s ranking.

Hope this helps,

heftzwecke
    Up

Thanks. I only do ship to Australia but not TAS, WA and NT for quarantine reasons. I don’t use keywor planner, I played around with several of them and nothing useful came up. What I do at the moment to repeat the specific plant name more often in the description text but more the common name because the latin name sounds weird in a text – I always search with the latin name!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245906, member: 88078 wrote:
    I always search with the latin name!

Don’t worry about what you would normally search by, think of your customer. Ideally somehow get both options in there (JohnW territory on how to do that), but you need to put you head in customer mode. I very rarely have a client talk about their plants by the scientific name, 99% of the time it is the common name (thank goodness).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.