Home – New Forums Selling online Keywords, do people search “Australia only”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    ::
    Aidan, post: 245292, member: 2298 wrote:
    Hey JohnR – I keep trialing that tool against websites I control and it keeps showing me rubbish when I look for the suggestions based on those sites! I mean serious rubbish, e.g. a telco type site is apparently targeting a medical procedure (it isn’t).

Same with AdWords suggestions, it guesses at the target keywords based on the ads without any adjustment for negatives or match types.

I could give more examples but they’re equally as laughable – is it just me?!

Aidan, I havent experienced that issue. Are you setting it to AU? I think by default it looks in the US, although it sounds like your problem might be something else.

Sure the site hasnt been hacked at all?

Might be worth running it through Screaming Frog to see if you can see anything odd showing in the HTML markup and meta tags.

Actually I just re-read your post and if you’re getting wonky results from two completely separate tools, something is def up. Are you running a VPN or something? Have you tried from a different computer?

Having said that, I dont believe there are ANY tools that are accurate in the SEO space. Some are better than others.

Typically I just use them as guides.

Hope this helps.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

I would echo what bb1 said above to a certain extent.

Think about your customers needs and publish great content around that.

Its real easy to make the mistake of wasting all your time on technical SEO instead of helping people with highly useful, informative content.

People first, then SE.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Good, I prefer writing anyway.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

My two cents. Common names can vary greatly; there are at least three plants that I can name off the top of my head that are called “Butterfly Bush” including the genus and species makes you look like you know what you are talking about, is sometimes what people will search for and will help you avoid confusion. You can easily use the common name and include proper plant name in a subtitle.
    Work on your content. You really need to include cultural notes like climate, soil type, sun/shade, etc for each and every plant you sell. Trust me, been exactly where you are in the past. Selling potted plants to people in your climate zone at the markets is a very different kettle of fish to selling bare rooted plants that sit in a dark box for a few days and end up in the hands of a novice gardener out of the plants native climate. Don’t think of yourself as buying the plants, think of a black thumbed novice and talk them through how to keep your babies alive. Educate your customer and then educate some more. And be honest, if a plant is difficult to grow or doesn’t like heavy clay make it clear. If they are successful they will come back regardless if you are a few bucks more expensive because of the “good value” you have provided. I know mine do.

Ann

troysteele
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    Aidan, post: 245292, member: 2298 wrote:
    Same with AdWords suggestions, it guesses at the target keywords based on the ads without any adjustment for negatives or match types.

I could give more examples but they’re equally as laughable – is it just me?!

I’m a big SEMRush user and find the keywords on-point but the traffic and the bid estimates way off. It won’t find you all the long tails but it is a very good way to brain storm ideas that you can’t think of. Everyone struggles to think of the obvious at different times so the keyword tools can help jog your memory.

The Google Keyword Planner estimates are more accurate but give less examples and harder to brainstorm with. I use them in tandem.

Have you done a search to see if your site is showing up for those weird keywords?

When searching as a user, I’ll only refine my search to Australian only results if the product isn’t common here and the broad search is dominated by US retailers. I use site:au instead of saying “Australia only”.

saini17manish
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

First of all by default Google.com.au will open and people will search for Australia. If they want to search more they will use country or city name to get a result.

You can go to google search also try out keywords with Australia or Australian cities to see how many websites are using local keywords. After that, you can also use keyword tools to see how much search volume those local keywords have.

This will help you which keywords you would target to get results.

YVTruffles
    Participant
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

If you set google to search Australia, then you can struggle to even get a result that would normally be served by Wikipedia. Eg review galaxy note 7, -anything written in USA, It often fails to access the wide range of information available on the net.
    I’ve now gone back to defaulting to world.

If I want an australian response, I add the term ‘site:.au’ to get targeted responses. If someones using a .com instead of .com.au, ,net.au or other au domain they’ll be dropped from the result, but too bad. It suits the majority of information searches, without crippling use where you need a wider response.
    (if they are saving $10 on .com vs .com.au then…..)

marchflower
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

there is an option in Google adwords in keyword planner tool, you can chose a concrete region (country, language) and see how other people search for something in Australia

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.