Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Kick-starting a Newsletter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    I’m starting a newsletter to provide information for online business and ClickWebDesign updates to existing clients and others interested in online business.

I should have started this a while ago, since asking existing clients if they would like to sign up I have built newsletter functionality into several websites!

My question to the forum is how do I kick start the ClickWebDesign Newsletter?

So far I have:

Look forward to some tips from those with established newsletters!

Cheers
    Chris

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

Posting it here will have helped! I think your competition is a great idea. Try using social media to get the buzz out about your newsletter. Include details in your signature on forums like this one as well.

Chris Finnegan
    Up
    mark_xpnsit, post: 50474 wrote:
    Posting it here will have helped! I think your competition is a great idea. Try using social media to get the buzz out about your newsletter. Include details in your signature on forums like this one as well.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your reply. I’m adding a link to my email signature now. And tweeting about the content – so far articles are:

10 Successful Blogging tips
    What makes a successful referral strategy?

I get the best response from tweeting about the free logo comp! People do love a competition, myself included:)

Cheers
    Chris

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Chris, one thing you need to learn is patience. I only started my newsletter 10 weeks ago and as such, my subscriber database is growing … slowly. Here’s what I’ve done, and do, to promote it:

• Tweet that a new edition is about to be launched so “sign up now” and provide a link to the sign-up page.
    • Tweet the actual newsletter link so non-subscribers can sample it and consider signing up.
    • Added a sign-up tab to my Facebook page.
    • I printed out some slips of paper that invited people to subscribe and stapled them to my business cards when I attended networking events.
    • TALK about my newsletter. Mention it at networking events, online, on forums, in social media and in emails with clients and potential clients.
    • Invite new Twitter followers to view the latest edition and consider signing up.
    • Always make signing up easy. No having to jump through hoops, and don’t ask questions that are too probing.

Once you start sending out newsletters:

• Ask for feedback about them. Engage with readers.
    • Get personal (a little). This works for my audience.
    • Include client ‘plugs’ in your newsletter so they are more invested in providing a reason to be featured in it.
    • Share the space with others. Ask people to allow you to link to their blog posts, articles or other material that will be of interest to your audience.
    • Add plenty of eye appeal – images, varying fonts, coloured sections.

Above all, let me reiterate … be patient. It takes time to develop a following and people need to know why they should sign up. If that means they have to ‘sample’ a few editions of your newsletter, so be it. Just keep creating newsletters as though your audience is massive. Every individual reader deserves that from you.

Hope that helps :).

Chris Finnegan
    Up

Hi Gina,
    Great tips here, I think I’ll be back a few times to be sure I’ve acted on them all!
    The Facebook signup is one I’ve missed. Also profiling a recent customer and their website is a great idea. I like the “patience tip”, and look forward to building momentum (patiently) with each issue.

I’m getting excited now only a few days until my first newsletter is out:)

Cheers
    Chris

wordmistress
    Up

You should be excited! A newsletter is a big effort and once you get started, you’ll find there’s no turning back :).

Tracey Baird
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi ClickWebDesign,

I’ve just gone to your sign up page – it’s looking much better from when I visited it after your post, good job.

I think you’ve got some great stuff going on there – I would add one more thing to the mix, give them something specific when they opt in. Whether it’s a 5 day email course on having better results on your website or an eBook on how to do online marketing have a specific offer with something they receive immediately. I’ve seen this do wonders for my clients opt in rates for their newsletters, all the best.

Tracey Baird
    Amazing Business

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Chris,
    Perception is reality. I can’t use your website.

I’m viewing your site with the single most widely used browser (IE8). Hope I’m not suffering a browser glitch but I just rebooted so it seems unlikely. I can view it in Firefox but that’s only a minor browser with around 20%+ of potential site viewers.

In IE8, your site navigation drop menus fall behind the images located below them so users can’t click through to the pages on your site.

Bottom line: If your newsletter is about generating online business but people can’t even navigate your own website, why would they they regard you as an expert in generating online business or subscribe to your newsletter?

Can I humbly suggest you check out how your site performs in various browsers before you focus on building an email list or your efforts may be wasted.

Regs,

JohnW

Serena Star Leonard
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Chris,

I have two main bits of advice for newsletters:

1. Consistency – make sure you always post them when you promise. I make this mistake with one newsletter, and my readership is much lower than the ones where people know exactly when I will arrive in their inbox. If your timing is unreliable people stop relying on it and that is not a good thing!

The blogs and newsletters I have that are religiously sent are by far the best read.

2. Quality – Make sure everything you send is of value to the reader. Look through with fresh eyes and gauge the value in terms of content, offers etc. If your number 1 intention is to provide value, then people will happily receive and read. This applies for any communication that you send (and is my saving grace when I am unrelaible with timing!!).

I just love the type of relationship that you can create with a newsletter and have so much fun producing them!

Good luck!

Chris Finnegan
    Up

@Tracey, a sign up gift is a good marketing technique. I’ll have to think what that might be:)

@John
    , looks like you caught me updating the site, thanks for your observation!

@Serena
    , consistent timing is a good point and probably more so on a weekly rather than monthly newsletter. This leads me to ask, how often should a newsletter be sent? I’m sending monthly with 2-3 new articles, would it be better to have one article and send out weekly?

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Cheers
    Chris

wordmistress
    Up

Hi Chris and all :)

The wordmistress newsletter goes out weekly, usually on a Sunday night but on occasion, on a Monday night.

When I began sending my newsletter, it was weekly and I wondered if it might be too intrusive for my subscribers so I asked them if they’d prefer monthly. The response was that there is so much information and interesting content in my newsletters that sending them out monthly would mean either cutting back on content or the newsletter would be so long that they wouldn’t be able to get through it.

So, I send them weekly, and I truly enjoy writing them with that frequency. Throughout the week, I make notes as interesting information comes to hand.

My newsletters attract feedback every issue and I’ve also requested feedback so that I know what’s working and what’s not working. I add items of feedback to the side bar text complete with the person’s name and a link to their website. I always look for opportunities to promote other businesses in my newsletter, one of the things which makes it popular.

Chris, yours is obviously evolving and doing very well and I look forward to future editions.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 50643 wrote:

• Tweet the actual newsletter link so non-subscribers can sample it and consider signing up.

I like that one and have just done it.

I also have now included past editions link on the sign-up page so people can see what they are signing up for.

wordmistress
    Up

Perfect! That’s what I do too but I generally try to wait a week before posting the most recent edition. If people want to know sooner rather than later, then it’s in their interests to sign up :).

Serena Star Leonard
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Chris,

I think it depends on yoru audience, I have monthly newsletters for some databases and weekly or bi-weekly blogs sent to other databases.

If I had the time I would post weekly to all databases because every time I post there is a massive spike in traffic. People remember you even if it is to save your email for later or heaven forbid delete it!

It also weeds out those who are not really interested, if you post more often.

We have one blog that posts twice weekly and it has grown the fastest although I think it may be too much for our audience and we are about to ask them if they would prefer a weekly round up.

I have seen stats that the more you post the better for traffic growth but there have been very few people I subscribe to that I feel are good enough to send me emails daily or a couple of times a week!

Why don’t you ask people what they want from you?

Do you already have a database?

Cheers,
    Serena : )

universal-tk
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Chris,

One of the best bits of advice that I got for doing a newsletter was to sign up for mailchimp. It is really easy, free and has some brilliant back end features that let you know whether your newsletter is working.

Regards
    Craig
    http://www.universaldiscounts.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.