Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Kick-starting a Newsletter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    premiumwriting
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

If you really want to encourage sign ups, make your opt in fields more visible. This is one of my sites that you can look at as an example:

http://www.jack-russell-lover.com

Note that the opt-in box is at the top of the left navbar, so it’s visible above the fold on every page, including an image of the free gift you get when you sign up. It’s also at the bottom of every content page, so when people finish reading something and think, “What a great site!” the next logical step is to pop in their email address. May not be directly applicable to a site like yours but it should give you some ideas. If you really want to promote it you should at the very least have a link to the sign up page above the fold on every page.

Also, I don’t know what the deal is with your sign up fields but you have to actually click on the word “Name” or “Email” before you can type anything in. If you click on the empty space within the field, nothing happens. At first I thought the fields weren’t working at all. You may be losing sign ups because of that.

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

Well done on getting it going.

I think there are loads of great tips here for you and the point about being patient is spot on, it takes time but as long as there is consistent growth then that’s what matters.

Both of my online businesses have email newsletters that have a good rate of growth from the constant efforts such as via social media, easy sign up process, email signatures etc but the most important signup tool is the special offer.

We’re finding competitions are working really for us – and we cross promote them via other email newsletters, sites and social media. Naturally we reciprocate as well.

We also run competitions for advertisers on She Inspires and they get between 200 – 600 signup amount (with 3 this year getting over 1,200) and this is a great way to build your newsletter database.

So look around for opportunities and seek cross promotional opportunities. It works really we for us.

enpointe
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Chris,

All the suggestions you’ve received are great and should certainly help.

I just wanted to add a bit of weight to Tracey’s comment about giving people something for free when they opt in. From personal experience this is a great tactic to try.

I’ve developed a newsletter for my business for approx. 3 years and my distribution list has been growing, but it’s only been slow. What growth I have achieved has been from using some of the other tactics that have been suggested to you. Then, two months ago, I developed a short e-book and offered it for free topeople who signed up for the newsletter. Almost overnight the contacts started. It hasn’t quite been a flood but I’ve grown my list more in the last two months than I have in the past two years!

When thinking of a free item you could make available to people, try to think of something that is closely related to your business and will really help people. E-books are popular but it could also be a free tool, application, etc.

If you’re really stuck for an idea and want some assistance don’t hesitate to get in contact with me.

Paul
    En Pointe

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.