Home – New Forums Other discussions Kickstarter article

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up
    ::

Hi all. I wanted to share an interesting article I found at Wired.com on a idea/invention site called Kickstarter.

It’s basically a giant crowd-sourced incubator of ideas and inventions.

Wired article – How Kickstarter Became a Lab for Daring Prototypes and Ingenious Products

I have a small review of th article at my creativity blog, EssentialNothing

If you’re interested in ideas & inventions & startups it’s worth the read in my humble opinion :)

Robbie

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks Robbie – that’s a great site to know about.

Love your work!
    Jayne

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

It’s a great site but it’s not a good resource or help to most people living in Australia. Currently funding is only via Amazon Payments and the only way you can set up Amazon Payments is to have an USA bank account, USA driver’s licence and USA based mobile phone. They even ask the name of the phone carrier in the set-up and you can’t move forward in the account set up without that mobile number.

So.. you can pledge and give money for special projects and inventions etc, and there are a few projects underway in Australia, but most people in Australia would not be able to receive funding.

Kickstart is looking at other ways of payments to be transacted outside the USA but so far it hasn’t happened as of the time I’m writing this, I believe. I’d love to know I was wrong.

OneArmedGraphics
    Up

Thanks Jane, I wasn’t aware of that. Let’s hope they get something sorted. Or maybe we can do our own version! I love the concept.

Robbie

p4tricia
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

What a timing. I stumbled upon KickStarter last night and love the idea as well. Too bad it’s not available for projects outside of US at the moment – but they were talking about making it available to other countries on their FAQ (not sure how soon).

I also blogged about KickStarter and a similar(ish) concept but for non-profit org, Kiva here. KickStarter provides funding for projects in America. Kiva provides lending to entrepreneur in under developed countries. Have a read here, if you have a bit of time: http://bit.ly/gm42tq

Those two sites are awesome innovation in harnessing the power of the internet.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Patricia,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for your contribution to this thread. We’d love it if you decide to stick around and be part of the gang.

To kick things off, please start by posting in the introductions thread and also let us know a little about yourself by filling in your profile in ‘Control panel‘.

Thanks very much – I’m looking forward to getting to know you.
    Jayne

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    JaneB, post: 69328 wrote:
    It’s a great site but it’s not a good resource or help to most people living in Australia. Currently funding is only via Amazon Payments and the only way you can set up Amazon Payments is to have an USA bank account, USA driver’s licence and USA based mobile phone. They even ask the name of the phone carrier in the set-up and you can’t move forward in the account set up without that mobile number.

So.. you can pledge and give money for special projects and inventions etc, and there are a few projects underway in Australia, but most people in Australia would not be able to receive funding.

Kickstart is looking at other ways of payments to be transacted outside the USA but so far it hasn’t happened as of the time I’m writing this, I believe. I’d love to know I was wrong.

Here’s a similar Australian crowdfunding site: http://www.pozible.com.

Cheers,
    Victor

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    victorng, post: 69764 wrote:

Cheers,
    Victor
    Thanks for that. It’s great to see Australia have its own version.

I found a project to support so it will be fun to follow its progress and see if it gets the full funding. The process of signing in and giving credit card details was a cinch.

It was a bit surprising to see how many projects were rather self-indulgent.
    Wanting people to fund large overseas trips and adventures is a bit much for my generation (baby boomer) to swallow.

OneArmedGraphics
    Up
    victorng, post: 69764 wrote:

Cheers,
    Victor

Nice one, thanks for that Victor.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.