Home – New Forums Tell me straight… KingsDesign website aimed at small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rik Konings
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

Being a member for only a bit over a week I got to know great people and got/gave some great tips. Let’s hope it only get better.

I’m a web developer and designer running KingsDesign.
    Recently I launched this new website.

What I would really love to know is:

Does the website target you as a small business owner?
    Is the content interesting for a small business owner?

If you have any feedback, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Rik Konings

I’m also putting together a custom website package for Flyingsolo members at a great price. Anyone interested?

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi Rik,

I’m a business owner running a similar business in Melbourne, I thought it would be interesting to review a similar business. One of the things I observed was that it didn’t specify a price range, least I couldn’t find any. It would be a nice start to mention some of the prices for your previous projects, small business owners are very keen about this aspect. Hope this helped, best of luck and growth!

Rik Konings
    Up

I’m not quite sure whether I should provide set prices as I deliver custom products to all my clients based on their requirements.

Maybe I should go with a couple of examples including the costs.

Aus Seek, post: 31404 wrote:
    Hi Rik,

I’m a business owner running a similar business in Melbourne, I thought it would be interesting to review a similar business. One of the things I observed was that it didn’t specify a price range, least I couldn’t find any. It would be a nice start to mention some of the prices for your previous projects, small business owners are very keen about this aspect. Hope this helped, best of luck and growth!

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Lovely website – Clean, simple, easy to navigate.

I agree with Aus, prices are a good idea – It doesn’t have to be a definitive set price, perhaps a “starting from” may be a good idea?

Regards,

Jake

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I don’t agree with prices on websites that are 100% project based.

I would include it in an FAQ of “what can I expect to pay”, say the average project includes X, Y, and Z for around $x.

If you were a client, would you want what you’ve paid broadcasted on the designers website?

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I vote for Chris’ method.

It depends on weather you are competing on price. If you aim to be the cheapest, list your price, if you aim to compete on other things, don’t list your price, list those instead.

IMO it’s far better to compete on value, so explain why you are better value than Mr $500 website :)

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    Rik Konings, post: 31400 wrote:
    What I would really love to know is:

Does the website target you as a small business owner?
    Is the content interesting for a small business owner?

If you have any feedback, it would be really appreciated.

Hi again Rik :)

I think the website does target small businesses because it sets out what a small business would need in terms of a web presence. I also think, though, that it could offer a bit more information as to the process involved in working with you. On the right hand side of the Services page, you offer a 4-step explanation of the process and then it says “Find out more”. This leads to the contact page, but if I were a brand new business looking to have a website built, I’d be hoping for more information here so that I’d know better what to ask you when I did contact you.

Plus, on your Services page, alot of the language is ‘we’-based and not aimed at telling your potential clients what’s in it for them.

For instance, the last line:
    “See what we can do for your next project.”
    It could perhaps be better phrased as: “Find out how your next project can come alive with Kings Design.” It’s actually better phrased on the Home page under ‘Contact Us’ where it says: “See what we can do together.”

And this sentence seems to fall in on itself:
    “Whether you want to sell products or services online, or you want to set up an Online Store”
    Isn’t selling products or services online the same as setting up an online store? It’s just a little confusing for the reader to understand, especially if they’re new to e-commerce.

As for the content being interesting for a small business owner, unfortunately there’s not really any ‘meaty’, substantial content that compels. Have you considered adding some informative articles? Obviously a blog would be an idea but articles can serve a similar purpose without having to be updated constantly if you don’t feel you have the time to keep the blog updates coming.

Offer information that relates directly to the services you offer, but expand on them for the lay person to gain a better understanding of what’s involved in getting their business online. The easier you can make it seem, the more likely they are to choose you to build their site or assist them with their existing online presence.

Anyway, I hope these suggestions help. :)

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Hi Rik,

I’m going to be rough here mate but this is a review right?

Does it speak to small business? no.

In fact it doesn’t speak to anyone.

Your website is all about one person: you.

“Web Development & Interface Design” who cares?

“Kings Design is a…” who cares?

“Our Services” this is where you finally get a chance to hook a person but you drop the ball by not connecting those features to meaningful benefits.

Your testimonial I completely missed as I thought it was you talking about you again – put your testimonials in “quotes” always

Now your testimonial holds the most compelling thing on your landing page and it was the last thing I seen I.E. “My website was listed very well in the google rankings in a short time and for some keywords I was listed number one!”

the site is nice and clean but step away from you and put your customer in the limelight

Cheers,

Will

Rik Konings
    Up

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their great feedback.
    This is exactly the kind of info I need to move forward.

@Chris

I’m going to write a second page in the services section named “complete website solution” or something similar. Here I will explain the complete website solution and the benefits for potential customers.
    And I compete not based on price but on quality and a complete service.
    So maybe I will put up a starting from price with the complete website solutions to give more of an idea to potential customers.

@wordmistress

Hello Again and thanks again for some great feedback.
    There is some great corrections in there and with English being my second language I tend to struggle a little every once in a while :)
    I will make most of these changes in my draft document with the copy in it.
    In the coming week I will write the complete website solution page and also a small website consultancy page as there seems to be a lot of interest in this.
    As for content, I would love to tell you that I can write up one article every week but I have too many other things happening at the moment to do this.
    But a Blog is what I will use in the future but for now I have to focus on my main business.
    I have been thinking about writing a “Website Self test” and a “What do I need” PDF so potential customers can get a better understanding of their current website and their website needs. It might be a great resource to post here as well.
    Anyway Thanks for the feedback

@willa
    I do kind of agree with you that I should outline the benefits for potential customers with all the services I offer. Connect more with them.
    I completely disagree with you that I cannot introduce myself on the homepage. That is what a homepage is for. Tell what this site is about and who we are. Get them interested and then they will click through to the page they are interested in.

Again thanks for the feedback everyone.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    Rik Konings, post: 32166 wrote:
    I completely disagree with you that I cannot introduce myself on the homepage. That is what a homepage is for. Tell what this site is about and who we are. Get them interested and then they will click through to the page they are interested in.

IMO, People don’t care about you. They care about their problems. You exist in business to solve problems. You don’t tell them about who you are cause they don’t care. For example;

This is ok;
    Customer: Has broken leg.
    Website: We have 5 years leg breaking experience and we fix broken legs.

This is better;
    Customer: Has broken leg.
    Website: Hurts to have a broken leg doesn’t it? We can make that pain go away!

While both statements are true, one is a whole lot more effective. It is best to identify with your customer first, then proceed to tell them how they will feel AFTER you have fixed their problem. That’s all they care about..

Think about going to the dentist….do you care how he fixes your fillings? do you want to know who he is and where he is been? (You, do, but that is secondary to your problem of getting your teeth fixed)

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

hi,

I;m glad you disagree in fact I encourage it. Personally I’d rather point out things that are holding you back because that’s where the opportunities lie for you.

I’m not saying don’t use your brand – I am saying don’t lead with it, the only time where this may be acceptable is when you’re a well known brand that has a great reputation.

Instead lead with a major problem, you do know what the biggest frustration or problem with your customer is don’t you?

…And don’t say price!

If you knew what I knew about how people made real buying decisions then you’d know how important it was to put them in pain before anything else and then come to your rescue and then mention who you are.

Branding is important but not as important as making the sale.

Good work

Will

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.