Home – New Forums Tech talk Landing page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up
    ::

Hi all

There are evidences that Landing Pages without any Navigation (no header no footer) convert better than the one do

Without the Menu or Company Logo, About and Contact us, I found that it is not trustworthy, at lease for me personally However, having that means it might distract potential buyer. Is this true? Please let me know?

eatyourveggies
    • Total posts: 62
    Up

Yes, all the research points to better conversion on “squeeze pages” (where you have to enter your email or if not, close the window)… but I absolutely hate hate hate these pages as I want to know who the company is, learn more, etc.

My theory on the research is that whilst you may collect more email addresses, you may not collect real ones and / or the likelihood of conversion to an actual sale / genuinely interested subscriber from people giving you their email on these squeeze pages may be lower than if you allow people to learn more about you by using other navigation elements.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

I am with [USER=60116]@eatyourveggies[/USER] I hate pages without the links, I want to know more before I provide my email.

BUT research says differently, BUT I believe the research is not always based on “Your” target market.

If you are targeting young consumers they don’t seem bothered by landing/ squeeze pages, and if they get lots of emails they will either just unsubscribe or block them (Which creates all types of future issues).

If you are targeting B2B or older B2C customers then you need to show the other links (About Us etc) to build trust.

I personally prefer better quality subscribers over quantity.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 242727, member: 60404 wrote:
    BUT research says differently, BUT I believe the research is not always based on “Your” target market.

Mischelle makes an important point. Although research may show higher conversions for squeeze pages, this will vary from industry to industry and between different business types. So the single average result shown by “research” doesn’t mean a lot for you.

Since I work with local service businesses, being transparent and real is important for trust, so I tend to put landing pages within the website where people can click on menu items such as the About page if they wish to get more perspective on the company.

If I were selling an online course (or smaller purchases where people don’t need to do as much research) I might do the opposite.

Dave

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Grandawood,
    Be very careful of online “evidence”. I find most is a crock full of misinformation, nonsense and/or bias.

Does the “evidence” you considered address these issues:

1. How is the audience attracted to the landing page?
    2. What are the types of products/services promoted?
    3. What is/are the conversion actions being assessed?

and heaps of other questions…

1. How is the audience attracted to the landing page?
    I read “landing page” and automatically think referrals from SEs but the terms could be applied to links sent out in email campaigns, social media or other delivery mechanisms.

If you are thinking about landing pages for SE referrals, you need to consider that a stand-alone landing page is likely missing out on 90% of its possible audience. Higher conversion rates in this situation can be an absolute irrelevancy.

2. What are the types of products/services promoted?
    How long and complex is the purchasing process for a given product/service?

I can’t imagine many stand-alone product/service pages that could be much help in any purchase process that requires more than one search session.

3. What is/are the conversion actions being assessed?
    If all you want is someone to complete an email subscription form, a stand-alone landing page may convert better but as Eatyourvegies says, you could be attracting inaccurate and irrelevant subscribers.

If you are talking about conversion rates from SE landing pages to a products/services supplier’s online presence, I’d be hard pressed to think of an example where your landing page should NOT include your normal website navigation structure.

The reason, you can’t tell where a potential SE referral visitor is in their purchasing process and you will therefore find it difficult to predict what ancillary info they will need at that point.

A single page, no matter how long, can’t provide all that.
    Regs,
    JohnW

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I’ve been watching this one, and just to pick up on Johnw’s comment, the first three posts say ”evidence” and ”research”, but none actually quote ”evidence” or ”research”.

I’m a bit of an ”evidence” person, and so far I don’t see any evidence of the evidence

Mischelle
    Up

LOL, Bert, you are correct in saying that, I think we are all using the term “research” loosely (including me) but I am referring to research that we or the poster have completed online ourselves :):)

For example: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/what-converting-websites-do/

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 242770, member: 60404 wrote:
    LOL, Bert, you are correct in saying that, I think we are all using the term “research” loosely (including me) but I am referring to research that we or the poster have completed online ourselves :):)

For example: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/what-converting-websites-do/

Hey Mischelle, I must need new glasses, I read that blog, I cant see where it supports this statement ” There are evidences that Landing Pages without any Navigation (no header no footer) convert better than the one do”’

I must be missing something.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

A landing page has a specific application and like every other tool there is, if it is not used appropriately, you will not get the results you are looking for.

For example, if you are running a competition, a landing page will probably work well.

If you are trying to educate around your product or service, a landing page will not be effective.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi All,
    I’m also confused by Grandawood talking “landing pages” and Eatyourvegies talking about “squeeze pages”.

My understanding is that “squeeze pages” is reserved for the type of landing pages whose specific purpose is capturing an email address. Did Grandawood intend this limited definition of landing pages?

Hi Michelle,
    Interesting reference you post…

My two favourite points from it:

What The Highest Converting Websites Do Differently

• “Approximately 96% of visitors that come to your website are not ready to buy
    • The more landing pages you have, the more leads you are likely to get.

I still find the single most common problem that inhibits generic SE referrals is not answering most search queries, particuarly when people are nearing the end of their purchasing process.

Part of the problem seems to be a fixation on targeting frequently used keywords from a keyword planner.

Example:
    I just SEO audited an online product catalogue site. No page on the site qualified for any search query that includes these “imminent purchase” indicative words:

Sales, buy, selling, supplier(s), supplies, discount, best, lowest, price, quote, reviews, online, (business category) and more.

If you want to improve conversion rates of landing pages, get at the top of the search results when the searcher is ready to buy.

As it happens, I had an old client in the same product category. Of its top 1,000 search query referrals, 37% of them included the “imminent purchase” words or business category words listed above.

I suggest that the timing of when information is delivered to a potential client is likely the single most important attribute in any conversion rate assessment.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Mischelle
    Up

Hi John,

Awesome posts :)

I truly love the part:

I suggest that the timing of when information is delivered to a potential client is likely the single most important attribute in any conversion rate assessment.

I can’t thank you enough for taking time out of your day for posting informative and educational information.

I am about to embark on a full blown launch of my new products (2 years in the making) and I am trying to make sure I am learning the correct way of doing on-line marketing so I hit my target group – as you say at the right time. :)

MCoWebsiteDesign
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

The best way is to run a split test, every audience is different and it often depends on where the audience is coming from . Someone clicking on a banner ad or AdWords link will be a lot more sceptical than someone clicking on a referral link from a friend in an email, or from a recommendation in a facebook group they trust.

You really should use a split test and get at least 500 visits before deciding, preferably 1000 or more.

Another suggestion is to use a prelaunch…see which works best with the launch methods you will use, then launch with the most successful type of page and methods. The benefit of a prelaunch is you can also get a bunch of great testimonials in the prelaunch phase, and act on early feedback. There’s nothing worse then paying to send 10,000 visitors to a launch, only to find out your payment system fails, or they hate something about your product.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.