Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Landing page feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NigelBurke
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an outsourced onboarding program for new employees and love any feedback you might have.

The draft page can be found at http://rusdens.com/blog/

As well as general feedback, I’m particularly interested in your thoughts on :

1. What type of demand you would expect for this type of program.
    2. What factors would affect your decision to use this type of service
    3. Would you or anyone you know be interested in a five minute phone interview around your thoughts new employee onboarding.

Thanks in advance

Nigel

JanF
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Nigel

It took me a while to figure out what “onboarding’ was :)

Your concept is one that we push consistently with our clients but with limited success.

Small business owners want new employees to be up and running in their jobs as fast as possible and simply don’t have or see the need to take the time to concentrate on ensuring they get the most out of them.

Often, the complaints about employees come later: “my employees aren’t loyal”, “my employees are just here for an easy ride” etc. Yet despite these problems most either get rid of non-performers or simply live with them.

As to your questions:

1. Until a business has a true understanding of the value of “onboarding” and constant reinforcement of cultural values and business processes, you won’t see any demand. We have found this realisation kicks in at about 10 employees, especially if it is accompanied by key employees leaving. The next hard bit is convincing the business owners to devote time to fixing the underlying issues – time they don’t have.
    2. As each business is different the structure for any onboarding program needs to be provided in the first instance by the business. As they don’t have the time to do this they would be looking to find someone who can quickly immerse themselves into their business and do the leg work for them. Then of course, it needs to be low cost (you are talking about a non-value added activity with only an intangible Return on Investment)
    3. A five minute interview is way too short :)

Hope this helps

BTW – fancy website!

Jan

NigelBurke
    Up

Thanks Jan, you raised some great points.

Do you think there is an opportunity to develop a framework so the employers don’t have to develop a program themselves? For example, having new hires complete somthing like the business model canvas so they get a better understanding of the business?

JanF, post: 75308 wrote:
    Hi Nigel

It took me a while to figure out what “onboarding’ was :)

Your concept is one that we push consistently with our clients but with limited success.

Small business owners want new employees to be up and running in their jobs as fast as possible and simply don’t have or see the need to take the time to concentrate on ensuring they get the most out of them.

Often, the complaints about employees come later: “my employees aren’t loyal”, “my employees are just here for an easy ride” etc. Yet despite these problems most either get rid of non-performers or simply live with them.

As to your questions:

1. Until a business has a true understanding of the value of “onboarding” and constant reinforcement of cultural values and business processes, you won’t see any demand. We have found this realisation kicks in at about 10 employees, especially if it is accompanied by key employees leaving. The next hard bit is convincing the business owners to devote time to fixing the underlying issues – time they don’t have.
    2. As each business is different the structure for any onboarding program needs to be provided in the first instance by the business. As they don’t have the time to do this they would be looking to find someone who can quickly immerse themselves into their business and do the leg work for them. Then of course, it needs to be low cost (you are talking about a non-value added activity with only an intangible Return on Investment)
    3. A five minute interview is way too short :)

Hope this helps

BTW – fancy website!

Jan

JanF
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Nigel

A Business Model Canvas is a good framework – but each of its segments will require customisation to the individual business, so the “time” factor will come into it. However, the framework may make this an easy excercise to start with and be more appealing.

Are you proposing a “read and test” type of approach?

I am beginning to warm to the concept.

Regards

Jan

NigelBurke
    Up

Exactly Jan,

As well as reducing the demands on the business, this ‘read and test’ type of approach has a number of benefits including :

• Encourages pro-active learning which has been shown to be much more successful than a passive information dump.
    • Favours a social network building approach where new hires are given a reason to reach out to all areas of the business.
    • Allows the business to see it’s operations from the perspective of the new hire

You might find the article “Getting New Hires Up to Speed Quickly” which deals with some of these issues interesting – download from http://bit.ly/j7OJPr

Nigel

JanF, post: 75439 wrote:
    Hi Nigel

A Business Model Canvas is a good framework – but each of its segments will require customisation to the individual business, so the “time” factor will come into it. However, the framework may make this an easy excercise to start with and be more appealing.

Are you proposing a “read and test” type of approach?

I am beginning to warm to the concept.

Regards

Jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.