Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Landscape Designer Online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    OnlineGardenDesign
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I thought I would outline our service here and ask for some feedback on the current website etc.

Online Garden Design

We offer landscape design packages and do it yourself landscaping guides in one complete custom made kit. We create the perfect garden design for you based upon our thorough questionnaire, photos of your site and your site dimensions. From this information we design a garden based upon your wants and needs and give you all the information and step by step guides to either do it yourself, or hire a contractor.

We would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi,

First of all – I love your business concept. I definitely could have used your services a few years ago.

This feedback is from a potential customer viewpoint.

You have lot of great information about your process, great photos of the work you have done, some great testimonials. Your site certainly instills confidence around your process and the potential outcome.

Two comments

If a client wanted to do part of their yard eg a new pool area – Do you do that? How would you charge? etc.

Also if the client was like me – someone who likes to think they have some ideas but would like to get some help to make it “more designer” – would you provide a consulting service or finesse a plan. (I understand that this is much more annoying than starting with a clean slate :o).

Great concept – I’ve no doubt your business will be very successful.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Mesa Paradigm
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi there,

Firstly congratulations and your website looks nice, clean and simple.

Few things on the technical as well as content side.

• The pictures you use for the banners should be jpg as opposed to png, there is no drop in quality and you will notice a significant decrease in size (I used img-5 from your sliding banner as an example and it went to 134KB from 478KB, I then optimised it and reduced it to 120KB which is a reduction of approximately 75%). This would benefit you as you would save almost 1MB from just your banner images alone.
    • You should add alt tags to each of your pictures as they will help with SEO (i.e. for a “Japanese” garden, make the tag “Custom Japanese Garden” or something similar.
    • When you click on the banner it merely refreshes the page, this can be annoying for customers who think that clicking the banner will change the picture as well as annoying that nothing will actually change and the page will have to reload
    • Grammatically speaking you should be writing in First person OR third person consistently throughout your website, it is considered more professional for third person as it gives the impression that there is a team (even if you are only one person). I.e. instead of saying “I truly love designing gardens” you say “we truly love designing gardens”. I know that it is tempting to give in to your “ego” (please do not get offended by my use of this word, ego is not a bad thing, it is a good thing, without it we would never improve) and boost your confidence by using first person, but it is more professional to use third.
    • With the purchase section, I would elaborate upon each package. This will allow you to further breakdown an explanation of what you are providing and why it is worth the expense (i.e. you do not click “Buy Now” you click “Package Details” or something similar, then see what a Landscape Master Plan is, how comprehensive your Planting List is etc). Useful because then you can further enhance the professionalism of your service by saying something like “not all plants are equal in Australia, we have carefully categories our plants in order to cater for all clientele, allowing for atmospheric conditions as well as how much time you have to dedicate to your garden” etc. Note: I just finished looking at your samples page and see that you have already covered this, perhaps include the information in a more readily available format through the purchases page as well?
    • With your contact us page, I would remove your photo and name to more align with what I said above about not telling people there is only one person who works there. If you get to the point where a client asks if there is only one person working there you should have already convinced them with your winning attitude and professionalism that it does not matter if you are alone or backed by a large team.
    • Grammar, I only skimmed through your pages and noted a couple of grammar mistakes, perhaps ask a friend to read through your site and tell you the mistakes they find or alternatively you can pay someone to do it for you

Lastly just general optimization of your website will be beneficial for SEO as well as all around good website practice.

Anyways, best of luck with everything, I hope it takes off and is a great success for you. There is a large number of people on this site (myself included) who can provide help with all of the points I mentioned above so don’t worry if what I said was daunting.

Cheers!

OnlineGardenDesign
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi,

Thank you both for your feedback, I really appreciate your time!

I have made a few changes based upon your suggestions, and have a few more to make tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.