Home – New Forums Tech talk laptop lost its sound courtesy of angry 5 year old

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    ::

Hi all, my little boy “lost it” with his soccer game, and banged the laptop against the wall. Shortly after it lost sound. I did the obvious – checked it’s not on mute, turned it off and restarted, did a system restore, but no joy. Is it more likely to be a sound card issue or busted speakers (from the bang against the wall)?

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

most likely busted something internal.

make sure its not on mute in the operating system AND on the laptop (sometimes a Fn+ function key push if its not a dedicated button).

otherwise, plug some headphones in.

good luck :)

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    leisadent, post: 93948 wrote:
    Hi all, my little boy “lost it” with his soccer game, and banged the laptop against the wall. Shortly after it lost sound. I did the obvious – …….

Probably not relevant, but am I the only one that thought “the obvious” was something going to be something involving your son?! 😮 I must be a bad, bad mother lol!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Angela – no, you aren’t the only one with that thought about ‘obvious’ – my first thought was to sit the child down and explain how ‘mummy’s things’ are off limits and that it’s inappropriate to react by throwing anything. As she is a sensible person and a devoted mother, she has probably already done that version of ‘obvious’. :) She is probably tearing her hair out with frustration :(

Laptops can normally survive a lot of things – Leisa do you have a local repair person that could check it for you while you wait, or come to your home office? Have you tried the headphones as suggested above, or plugging in external speakers? If the headphones or external speakers don’t work I would definitely get it looked at before anything else is affected. And of course make a copy of all your work files first.

And then maybe get a new laptop for yourself and teach your kids how to type on the old one.

Hope it all works out ok. :) Please let us know the end result.

AngelaGirl
    Up

Hi Karen C/Leisa

Sorry, I think the light hearted intent of my post got lost in translation.. that’s the problem with posts/emails when there’s no tone of voice.

Yesterday was the last official day of school holidays for my 5yo daughter and it was a particularly trying day in our household (and that’s the polite way of saying it :)) I couldn’t help but smile when I read Leisa’s post as it made me feel a bit better about my daughter who struggles to control her emotions at times…. which in turn tests my ability to control MY emotions and not fly off the handle!:eek:

Sorry again!

Angela

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

HI Angela – no, I understood you were lighthearted. And I am sure Leisa knows we are both being supportive.

So sorry you are both going through trying times with little ones … been there a long time ago. It will get better. Take care of you.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    KarenC, post: 93972 wrote:
    It will get better.

hahaha don’t you believe it !! It gets worse first lol

Wendy :)

AngelaGirl
    Up

Thanks Karen

And thanks Wendy.. NOT! :) Getting worse is exactly what I’m worried about, although she was a perfect angel today so I shouldn’t complain.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

5yo using a computer for work (I assume a ‘for-work’ one) Yikes.
    Problem could be caused by anything from a combination of buttons he may have depressing while banging it to a cracked board track. If earlier solutions don’t work then professional help needed (for the computer, not the normal boy)

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Leisa,

Mostly covered by others – see if there is any source of sound at all from laptop. My technical expert advises the following:
    If you get sound from the headphones, it’s probable that the speaker cable is damaged – or the speaker is dislodged or damaged – which should all be fixable.
    If not, simplest problem is that the sound card on the motherboard is dislodged somehow – if it is just cracked solder, it may be fixable. If it is more complicated than this, it is likely that you have a laptop with no sound – unless you want major surgery with replacement parts to occur. At this point, it would almost certainly be cheaper to get a new one and give your son the one with no sound…

Good luck!

Kathy

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

if its something internal, i wouldnt bother fixing it. the labour alone and the availability of the parts would mean you should write it off.

if youre looking for the cheapest out a 2nd hand laptop can be had for $200-$250 which will be at least 10 times as quick as what youve got now.

ebay stores that buy them bulk from greys a virtually giving them away.

dEx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.