Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Last minute trade show tips?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #981403
    [Former] FS Concierge
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    As some of you will know, my friend Scott and I launched a new business just before Christmas, Tribe of the Tree flower essences.

    We’re just about to pack the car and head off to our first ever trade show, where we’re expecting around 10,000 people (mostly consumers, but probably a few industry folk too) to wander past our stand over three days.

    We’ve got the display, the stock, the eftpos machine, the competition to encourage people to sign up to our database … but now that it’s nearly time to leave I’m worried that I’ve forgotten something.

    Any last minute tips for us? We have a long drive ahead of us, so we’re planning to use some of that time to practice our sales chatter… any other ideas will be gratefully received too!

    Oh, and if you happen to be heading to Health, Harmony, Soul on the Gold Coast this weekend, please come and say g’day to us. I’d love to see you!

    Thanks in advance folks – I’ll leave you in the capable hands of the others in the FS team while I’m off gallivanting!

    Jayne

    #1130160
    MyGreatIdea
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    0
    ::

    How exciting for you guys !!

    My advice would be:

    1. Remain standing as much as you can. I know your feet probably won’t like it, but it’s a much more inviting position for communicating.

    2. Make eye contact with people walking past, even if it’s only fleeting.

    3. Keep a small smile on your face. If you start with a big cheesy it’s not going to last all day and then you’ll just look sad lol. You can always break out the big smile naturally during conversation.

    4. Never make the assumption that someone is not a potential customer. I remember the story of an obstetrician who spent two hours at the Pregnancy Birth and Children’s Expo without receiving so much as a glance…just because he was male and over 40 people assumed he wasn’t their target market. What a waste !!

    5. Enjoy. They really can be fun, especially getting to know your neighbouring stands.

    Wendy :)

    #1130161
    TheGoldenGoose
    Member
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    0
    ::

    Don’t be a little mouse and sit in your stall on your iphone.

    Don’t bowl people over who look like they want to avoid you/your stand.

    BTW Saw an article in a health magazine of yours from years ago at Bellingen of all places. It was incredibly random!

    #1130162
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    A friendly smile and a hello does wonder.

    Also, allow people to sign up to your newsletter via iPad. I saw a stand doing that at the last one I was at and they were getting 100’s. Oh, they had an awesome competition as well!

    Good luck

    Matt

    #1130163
    geegee
    Member
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    0
    ::

    Take lots of munchies to keep your energy levels up. Especially healthy ones like fruit and nut trail mix.

    #1130164
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks everyone! You rock :)

    Show starts tomorrow so we will let you know how we go.

    (Matt, I’ve been looking for an excuse to get an iPad. Maybe that’s the justification I need!)

    Cheers,
    Jayne

    #1130165
    michnichols
    Member
    • Total posts: 236
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jayne,

    Good luck for your expo! How exciting!

    Don’t forget to take photos – a simple tip but you can get so busy, packing up, chatting to people etc that it slips the mind. Maybe other exhibits or ideas that you like.

    I always pack an “emergency” trade box for an expo. Basically a mini stationary pack with a few extras. Saves frustration, time and money when you are at expo.

    Things to pack: Gaffer tape, packing tape, velcro tape and dots, bluetac, mini stapler, scissors, spare pens, black marker, paper clips, bulldog clips, safety pins, push pins, rubber bands, mini first aid kit with Panadol, tissues, hand wipes, spare batteries, extension cord & powerboard (tested & tagged). All in a plastic storage tub, and ready to go for each exhibition.

    Happy exhibiting!

    Michelle

    #1130166
    kathiemt
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    0
    ::

    mmm, I love fruit and nut trail mix Robyn, mixed with some chocolate sultanas. yumm.

    Have fun with the trade show. Make sure you have your essences on display by smell. Are you able to promote the fragrance in any way? Like when you can smell incense burning? That will draw people to you.

    Oh, and love your website too. Did you do it?

    #1130167
    WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 147575 wrote:
    Also, allow people to sign up to your newsletter via iPad. I saw a stand doing that at the last one I was at and they were getting 100’s. Oh, they had an awesome competition as well!

    And of course this can also save you a bucketload of data entry later! ;)

    #1130168
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::

    Shoot videos.

    Being at the expo is great exposure and helps build credibility. Let people interact with your product, do short interviews if possible. Talk about your experiences. Use any positive feedback and capture it all on video.

    Put those videos on your site and leverage the hell out of it.

    And of course, get leads. (You might be able to do this by offering a free sample kit or something) – mail it out to them.

    #1130169
    Divert To Mobile
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    0
    ::

    To start with, drive carefully.

    Keep a few bottles of water stashed under the table.

    Don’t let negativity get you down, although at a health body soul expo i think the crowd wont include many nasties.

    Careful of the salespeople in the crowd, some will spend 30min of your time pushing their products to you.

    Have nibblies for your guests, healthy lollies. Mints are good for everyone.

    Set yourself in a state of mind of looking forward to meeting new people and having a great time.

    Steve

    #1130170
    Cat – GLC
    Member
    • Total posts: 440
    Up
    0
    ::

    Throat lollies!

    I lost my voice after 2 days of talking non-stop.

    I ensured that there were no chairs in our stall as I wanted to come across as proactive so all of us stood for the 2 days which also gave all the stalls around us something to talk about.

    They would try and leave chairs in our stall and see if we would cave and sit. We did persist and none of us sat down and we said hi to nearly everyone that went past.

    Lots of water and an emergency kit for when you are setting up as you don’t know what dilemmas you may come into.

    Have a great time and I might just pop in and say g’day

    Cheers

    Cat :)

    #1130171
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi everyone,

    We are just about to embark on the third and final day of the show, and so far it has been awesome for us. An extremely good decision, despite all the hard work and expense.

    Thanks again for all your suggestions – they have proven extraordinarily helpful.

    Couple It, post: 147558 wrote:
    Keep a small smile on your face. If you start with a big cheesy it’s not going to last all day and then you’ll just look sad lol. You can always break out the big smile naturally during conversation.

    Wendy, I am having SO much fun, and am so excited to be here that I am having trouble keeping the smile OFF my face! I’ve even had a couple of other stall holders come and say “Can I have some of what you’re selling? You look so happy” :D

    TheGoldenGoose, post: 147568 wrote:
    Don’t be a little mouse and sit in your stall on your iphone.

    Thanks Leah, that was a great tip, and thanks to you we banned phones from the stand. Very, very good idea :)

    MatthewKeath, post: 147575 wrote:
    Also, allow people to sign up to your newsletter via iPad. I saw a stand doing that at the last one I was at and they were getting 100’s. Oh, they had an awesome competition as well!

    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 147771 wrote:
    And of course this can also save you a bucketload of data entry later! ;)

    We’ve had heaps of entries in our competitions, so with one day still to go, I am already staring down the barrel of a healthy chunk of data entry time. The iPad will definitely be coming with us next time. Thanks Matt and Dan for suggesting this!

    geegee, post: 147599 wrote:
    Take lots of munchies to keep your energy levels up. Especially healthy ones like fruit and nut trail mix.

    geegee, we would have forgotten this, and we really needed the snacks, so thank you. Blueberries have proven to be the snack of choice – sweet and juicy, but not destined to give you a sugar rush (and subsequent slump), and small enough to eat quickly and without making a mess. Yummy too!

    michnichols, post: 147747 wrote:
    Don’t forget to take photos – a simple tip but you can get so busy, packing up, chatting to people etc that it slips the mind. Maybe other exhibits or ideas that you like.

    John Romaine, post: 147781 wrote:
    Shoot videos.

    Being at the expo is great exposure and helps build credibility. Let people interact with your product, do short interviews if possible. Talk about your experiences. Use any positive feedback and capture it all on video.

    Put those videos on your site and leverage the hell out of it.

    Michelle and John, I’m so glad you mentioned this. We have been so busy that we would have forgotten to take photos, and we certainly wouldn’t have taken videos. We’ll organise both of those today, and I am extremely grateful that you mentioned this. Bless your hearts!

    michnichols, post: 147747 wrote:
    I always pack an “emergency” trade box for an expo. Basically a mini stationary pack with a few extras. Saves frustration, time and money when you are at expo.

    Things to pack: Gaffer tape, packing tape, velcro tape and dots, bluetac, mini stapler, scissors, spare pens, black marker, paper clips, bulldog clips, safety pins, push pins, rubber bands, mini first aid kit with Panadol, tissues, hand wipes, spare batteries, extension cord & powerboard (tested & tagged). All in a plastic storage tub, and ready to go for each exhibition.

    Happy exhibiting!

    Michelle

    Cat – GLC, post: 147858 wrote:
    Throat lollies!

    I lost my voice after 2 days of talking non-stop.

    Michelle, I did have an emergency kit packed, but your list was much more comprehensive and I was able to add some extra things to my box thanks to your help. I’ve also learned that you can never have too many velcro dots.

    Cat, I’m with you on the throat lozenges. Those will now be a staple in my emergency kit!

    kathiemt, post: 147758 wrote:
    Have fun with the trade show. Make sure you have your essences on display by smell. Are you able to promote the fragrance in any way? Like when you can smell incense burning? That will draw people to you.

    Oh, and love your website too. Did you do it?

    Thanks Kathie :) Ours are the kind of essences that you take, rather than essential oils that you smell, but we have been giving people samples, and it is working a treat!

    (And thanks for your feedback on our site! A friend built it for us, using graphic design from the same lady that created our packaging).

    Divert To Mobile, post: 147817 wrote:
    Keep a few bottles of water stashed under the table.

    Don’t let negativity get you down, although at a health body soul expo i think the crowd wont include many nasties.

    Thanks Steve, we encountered any negativity at all thankfully. And you are right about the water… we ran out on the first day, and that won’t be happening again!

    Cat – GLC, post: 147858 wrote:
    Have a great time and I might just pop in and say g’day

    That would be awesome Cat! If you’re around today I would love to meet you in person!

    Thanks again everyone. I’ll be back on deck next week, and will give you another update then. Enjoy your sunday!

    Jayne

    #1130172
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks again everyone for your support and ideas here.

    Now that I’m home and almost recovered from the drive and the hard work, I can report that we managed to connect with a few hundred people, doubled the size of our database, and made some fantastic contacts – including opening a few wholesale accounts.

    So we’re very happy with how things turned out, and extremely grateful for all your input. :)

    Love your work,
    Jayne

    #1130173
    kathiemt
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    0
    ::

    Good to hear Jayne and well done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.