Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Law regarding direct mail advertisement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    aussiesniper
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

G’day everyone,

I’ve recently started a business as a sole trader selling custom made machine parts to factories and workshops, first couple months i have tried google Adwords but it’s slowly becoming more and more expensive as my competitors gotten more desperate due to tougher economic conditions (everyone trying to get the top Ad spot) so now i’m looking to quit the rat race and go for more direct way of advertising

So i have a question regarding NSW business advertisement law – is it legal to send direct mail (envelopes with brochures inside) advertisements to potential customers (businesses from yellow pages) with their business name and address as To:? of course i will put my own address there as return address and put on a 60cent stamp

And what about going to their physical address and drop flyers/brochures into their mailbox?

Thanks!

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

As far as I’m aware, and I’m no legal expert mind you, both are legal versions of marketing. Think of the Yellow Pages, nobody asks for that doorstop!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

It is perfectly fine to post advertising.
    You can even drop it into thier letter box.

Steve

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

I agree with IncredibleCo and Divert To Mobile

Another way you can use yellow pages in your advantage is by calling them first and ask if you can send a mail (envelopes with brochures inside) that way you can get a name and address your mail to a specific person rather than att: to manager or etc

Addressing your mail with att: to manager will be considered as junk most of the time and you don’t want that. (chances are your mail will end up in trash)

Addressing your mail Att: To John Smith for example and you know that your mail has been opened. (chances are John Smith will open your letter and read it)

All the best,

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Aussiesniper,

There are currently no restrictions over direct mail advertising, for either business or residential. Of course, it is best practice to ensure if anyone contacts you and says they do not wish to receive your material to stop sending to them (but then why waste dollars on people that don’t want to receive your stuff anyway)

You can find more information at http://www.adma.com.au, which is the Australian Direct Marketing Association.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to drop me a line if you’ve got any other questions

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Even though you can, doesn’t mean you should. I think a few members already mentioned here that making sure you don’t look like spam is very important. May be worth even integrating some form of follow up communication into your strategy. E.g. Send them the flyer – then give them a follow up call a week later might work really well.

Doing something out of the ordinary usually catches people’s attention. E.g. I read a story about a guy that got a job by sending his potential employer a letter with 2 coffee vouchers attached, he eventually got the job. If the revenue you make from one conversion is high enough, you may want to consider sending them an offer to have coffee with you with your letter which will give you a chance to get in front of them :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for reading,

Wendy – Co-founder of SavvySME – A new social platform for small businesses

aussiesniper
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thanks everyone for your kind inputs, i have two more questions though – is it ok to post to business P.O.Boxes? most of these companies i am sending ads to are big engineering and mining companies, should i just put their business name as ‘deliver to’?

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi,
    There is no problem posting to a businesses PO Box address. In actual fact, most businesses prefer that as Australia Post do not mail to some street addresses, which causes dramas for them (in certain areas, the posties are not allowed to leave their bikes, so if it is a first floor building with no ground floor box)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    aussiesniper, post: 124472 wrote:
    …most of these companies i am sending ads to are big engineering and mining companies

If they are big then it is ESSENTIAL to have it personally addressed. Otherwise it will likely never get to the right person.

so:

1. Ring and either get the name of the right person, or ring and TALK to the right person.
    2. Send/email the promised material
    3. Followup by phone within a week

If they are big companies, then they are prospectively worth a LOT of money to you. So it is worth doing it right.

Your phone approach, material included (this might be customised for each post, depending on the outcome of the initial phone call) and followup process will evolve over time as you see the flow that works best.

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    King, post: 124684 wrote:
    If they are big then it is ESSENTIAL to have it personally addressed. Otherwise it will likely never get to the right person.

so:

1. Ring and either get the name of the right person, or ring and TALK to the right person.
    2. Send/email the promised material
    3. Followup by phone within a week

If they are big companies, then they are prospectively worth a LOT of money to you. So it is worth doing it right.

Your phone approach, material included (this might be customised for each post, depending on the outcome of the initial phone call) and followup process will evolve over time as you see the flow that works best.

I completely agree king!

In a previous life i was a business development manager and the key is to get the right persons name, send the info to them and then get a face to face meeting. A big company could take a year to get through to so be patient as once you get the contract it can be worth plenty.

You will notice they will revure budgets etc twice a year Jan and July and the best time to approach them is a month or so before this as this is when they will be starting the cost revue process.

In a big company ask to speak to the purchasing officer and that will get you past the initial gateway

Matt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.