Home – New Forums Selling online Lay-by Scheme

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Diecastpoint
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has implemented an lay-by scheme on their website or have used this technique before?

Thanks
    Ron

Shipporter
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Ron,

The only experience I have with online layby was as a user recently. See the link below for their terms and details.

http://www.ppq.com.au/infohub/laybyinformation.aspx

Hope this is of some assistance.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Ron,

Interesting, you don’t hear much about lay-by these days. I guess since credit cards got big.

But if you’re keen on the idea, it sounds like something you could possibly test on your website. It could be as simple as adding a button that says “interested in lay-by?” and if nobody ever clicks it (use your analytics) then you’ve saved yourself any real work on it. If it gets a lot of clicks, then you could maybe take it further.

Dave

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Diecastpoint, post: 170112 wrote:
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has implemented an lay-by scheme on their website or have used this technique before?

Thanks
    Ron

Howdy Ron

Must say i tend to like your posts.. :)

Re lay-by, its not something you hear of a lot lately although from a personal experience and understanding the little niche you are in i think this service would add a FANTASTIC avenue for you..

Why do i say this? basically your target market are avid collectors forking out many many dollars on these items (especially limited editions and numbered items) and often these people actually forgo other purchases to try and get there hands on the next ‘fix’.. offering a lay-away offer will allow them to pay you in contributions as they can afford..

A word of caution though: you will need to have STRICT guidelines in place covering time frames allowed, what happens if not pay, etc etc.. obviously that has to be factored into your costs as you have paid for the stock and are ‘holding’ these items for a specified time… Although its also a guaranteed sale :)

Not sure how you would implement this on the web site though, maybe speak to some forum gurus on web ecomm such as Matthew Keith and there are others on here as well…

Maybe an adaption could revolve around NEW limited stock coming in that you can presell – thus giving people the opportunity to plan (like a lay-away) for monies going out and start with a deposit then final payment.. just a thought..

Look forward to hearing how you progress.. will keep my eyes out for any plugins that may offer this.. your running wordpress yes? which ecommerce you on?

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Diecastpoint
    Up
    Shipporter, post: 170171 wrote:
    Hi Ron,

The only experience I have with online layby was as a user recently. See the link below for their terms and details.

http://www.ppq.com.au/infohub/laybyinformation.aspx

Hope this is of some assistance.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the link :)

Warm Regards
    Ron

Diecastpoint
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 170174 wrote:
    Hi Ron,

Interesting, you don’t hear much about lay-by these days. I guess since credit cards got big.

But if you’re keen on the idea, it sounds like something you could possibly test on your website. It could be as simple as adding a button that says “interested in lay-by?” and if nobody ever clicks it (use your analytics) then you’ve saved yourself any real work on it. If it gets a lot of clicks, then you could maybe take it further.

Dave

Hi Dave, haha popular name on this thread :P

Analystics is truly a website owners number one tool.

That would be quite a easy and cost effective way to find out if it is worth while having that feature on your site.

Thank you for your suggestion Dave, much appreciated.

Warm Regards
    Ron

Diecastpoint
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 170193 wrote:
    Howdy Ron

Must say i tend to like your posts.. :)

Re lay-by, its not something you hear of a lot lately although from a personal experience and understanding the little niche you are in i think this service would add a FANTASTIC avenue for you..

Why do i say this? basically your target market are avid collectors forking out many many dollars on these items (especially limited editions and numbered items) and often these people actually forgo other purchases to try and get there hands on the next ‘fix’.. offering a lay-away offer will allow them to pay you in contributions as they can afford..

A word of caution though: you will need to have STRICT guidelines in place covering time frames allowed, what happens if not pay, etc etc.. obviously that has to be factored into your costs as you have paid for the stock and are ‘holding’ these items for a specified time… Although its also a guaranteed sale :)

Not sure how you would implement this on the web site though, maybe speak to some forum gurus on web ecomm such as Matthew Keith and there are others on here as well…

Maybe an adaption could revolve around NEW limited stock coming in that you can presell – thus giving people the opportunity to plan (like a lay-away) for monies going out and start with a deposit then final payment.. just a thought..

Look forward to hearing how you progress.. will keep my eyes out for any plugins that may offer this.. your running wordpress yes? which ecommerce you on?

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Hi Jason,

Firstly howdy again, haha looks like great website owners follow the same threads.

You do raise some valid points, I am currently running my site on Opencart, but I am a major fan of wordpress :D actually quite fond of it, brings back my first interactions in becoming a webmaster haha.

I have seen on the plugin marketplace for Opencart, a few layby plugins for under $50. It could actually be a nice investment to lock away sales, as you know the only way to better your competition is a niche.

I guess it will all boil down to how to pre-planning to make the best of the feature and see how benefical it is to your bottom line

Will be looking to implement this feature soon, just need more planning to work all every scenario and kinks.

Warm Regards
    Ron

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi Ron,

Just thought I would add in a comment regarding actually facilitating the payments as well.

Obviously you would be looking at accepting a regular bank transfer but you can also set up recurring schedules or (or ‘payment plans’) using a service like eWAY. This would allow you to create the payment terms with the customer and then set them up with a payment plan (pre-set or custom) and have their visa/mastercard/etc charged without having to remember.

Personally, I love the idea of lay-by but for some reason I’ve never really taken advantage of it. I guess in your market it would be an advantage for a collector to be able to reserve a hard to find item rather than risk losing it whilst they save the money.

Maclean

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.