Home Forums Marketing mastery Lead Magnet Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Bearded Lawyer
    • Total posts: 19

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, it seems like a great community to be a part of.

I recently launched my blog, which I plan to use as a lead generation source. I was forced to launch earlier than I expected because I was invited to present at a networking function and wanted (needed) my branding up and ready to go.

Anyway, as a result of launching early, I am still working on filling the site with content, as well as my lead magnets. I want to put a call out to business owners on this site, what is the one thing that you would want a lawyer to answer that can then form the basis of a checklist or whitepaper for users to download for free. I have a few of ideas already:

– 5 things to look out for before buying a business
    – Things to know before negotiating a lease
    – 5 things to look out for in a franchise agreement

My concern with the above is that they sound like “click bait”. Any ideas you could throw at me would be great.

Regards,
    -Sami

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,173

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=112887]@The Bearded Lawyer[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

One way you could frame the negative is along the lines of 5 Traps to Avoid when….

Another relevant topic is around “About to be sued?”

Cheers

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

Personally, if I was marketing my services I would avoid this type of list.

They are meaningless, and you are right – clickbait.

If I am looking to use a service I want to know why YOU are a better option than any one of the numerous lawyers out there.

I find in my business for example (sourcing) that anyone can do it if they apply themselves a bit No rocket science to it. Where I come into play is in things like experience, databases, history.etc.

I could write a list of 5’s, and have done similar in the past, but so can everyone else. Stories are much better.

I know legal is a bit different but is still a service you rare offering, same as any other.

The Bearded Lawyer

Hi Johny and Paul,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Johny, you are completely right – that is exactly how I market myself in a face to face setting, and my aim for the blog is to translate that into an online setting. For example, one of the sections of the blog will be devoted to “startup stories” profiling some of my clients and the success they have achieved in building their businesses (the first of these should go live tomorrow).

With the lead magnets, I am aiming to build a database so that I can attract repeat visitors. This seems to be the current trend in digital marketing (nothing unique to me), and goes along these lines:

1. Give away interesting content, that clients would normally be expected to pay for.
    2. Require that visitors provide their name and email address in order to access the content.
    3. Engage with those visitors by sending periodic emails to draw them back to the site to read more content (but don’t spam).

You are spot on, the examples I gave are terrible (hence my hesitation to just implement them). This brings me back to my initial post: as a business owner, what would you like to ask (and have answered) by a commercial/business lawyer?

Regards,
    -Sami

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

[QUOTE=”The Bearded Lawyer, post: 263120, member: 112887″
    1. Give away interesting content, that clients would normally be expected to pay for.
    i

Theres one problem with this approach, everyone is giving away exactly the same ”free” content. Just look at 10 websites giving away free content and they are almost all giving away the same ”free” content. So really you aren’t differentiating yourself from anyone else. The marketers tell you to do this, but remember thats what they are telling the other 2026 lawyers out there. They need to come up with a new approach.

The Bearded Lawyer

Thanks Bert, I appreciate the feedback.

You are right in that there is a lot of junk out there being given away for free – I certainly wouldn’t sign up for most of it. Having said that, I still find some of the offers compelling (including material on how to use wordpress, which allowed me to get my blog up and running).

I think there is still scope to come up with new and interesting content that is useful to people. For the most part, Lawyers are still behind the times when it comes to online engagement – with only a few firms/people doing it well (including contributors to this site). The vast majority of legal writing out there is overly technical and completely useless to ordinary business people. That’s the niche I am trying to fill.

Regards,

– Sami

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    The Bearded Lawyer, post: 263123, member: 112887 wrote:
    You are right in that there is a lot of junk out there being given away for free – I certainly wouldn’t sign up for most of it.

Ah and that is exactly where you have hit the nail on the head, and it just becomes a big thing that the marketers say get the email address.

And the big problem is you don’t know it’s junk (which 90% is), until you sign up and give you email address to them.

You should be selling yourself on what you have to offer and not by trying to give away free (junk or otherwise) stuff, if you have a compelling story they will come. If all you have to offer someone is something free, it doesn’t say much about the quality of what ”you” have to offer. Not a dig at you, thats a generic comment, for all I know you are the greatest.

The Bearded Lawyer

Thanks guys.

The message I am hearing is loud and clear – steer clear of that kind of marketing! I’ll put the lead magnet idea on the back burner for now.

I am still aiming to produce interesting content for the blog though, so if you think of a topic or question that you’d like me to cover on the site please let me know.

regards,
    -Sami

storyxl
    • Total posts: 3

Dont give up because of others comments, why are you listening to all the negativity, lead magnets and list building work.
    the assumption here is you are giving junk??? I am dumfounded by these comments.

I like your niche approach, forget about telling everyone how wonderful you are as most do.

Its all about your customer and the value you can offer, ask yourself these questions
    and make yourself the guide, go to person for solving. Then write your lead magnet and articles accordingly

What does your customer want?

What’s the external problem they are dealing with?

What’s the internal problem? (How is the external problem making them feel?)

What empathetic statement can your brand make toward your customer’s internal problem?

Why are you an authority to solve your customer’s problem?

What’s your plan to ease your customer’s fear and confusion?

What is the direct call to action?

What does life look like for your customer if you solve their problem?

Set up an autoresponder series offering value, after all you are building relationships not trying to sell, the spin off of this has many benefits

The Bearded Lawyer

Hi Storyxl,

Thank you! That is some excellent feedback, I really appreciate it.

I must say that I was disheartened initially, but the response I’ve had to the blog in the last few weeks has largely overtaken that.

I like to think that the content I am posting is (hopefully) addressing some of those questions you mention. It seems to be resonating, as I’ve had about a dozen coffee catch-ups in the last few weeks resulting from blog introductions (and a few of those have already converted!). So my strategy at the moment seems to be a blend between online and offline engagement.

I think I’ll revisit the list building aspect in the new year, taking on board your suggestions. My goal is to get up to speed with Mailchimp during the holiday break.

Thanks again for the feedback, and all the best for the festive season.

storyxl
    • Total posts: 3

have a look at mailerlite, i switched ages ago, best one on the net

m4engineers
    • Total posts: 121
    storyxl, post: 263445, member: 112251 wrote:
    … forget about telling everyone how wonderful you are as most do.
    … Its all about your customer and the value you can offer
    … after all you are building relationships not trying to sell

Somehow Pareto always apply. Marketing is all about them, and Sales is about you. The percentage mix is about 80% Marketing and 20% Sales. When your digital presence is done appropriately; your 80% Marketing is almost covered, which left you to concentrate 99% of your effort on your 20% for BDM.

Hope it make sense. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    The Bearded Lawyer, post: 263127, member: 112887 wrote:
    Thanks guys.

The message I am hearing is loud and clear – steer clear of that kind of marketing! I’ll put the lead magnet idea on the back burner for now.

I am still aiming to produce interesting content for the blog though, so if you think of a topic or question that you’d like me to cover on the site please let me know.

regards,
    -Sami
    Hi Sami
    The ” How to” and “10 tips” are great for content building strategy. Although a lot of law firms do it, it does not mean you should not either. As you are aware, if it happens the prospect is searching those keywords near your service area, which those contents, you could be up in the search engine.
    There is another way: since you are blogging, why don’t you try video blogging, where you made video instead.
    Youtube does have an Auto Transcribed function which ultimately, you can use to create a written blog too
    It is not about giving about FREE content, it is about building Trust.
    Example:
    “what to look for when you sign a lease?”, no personal guarantee but 3-month bank guarantee
    “what to do when you are in breach of your lease?”
    “should I declare bankruptcy instead of going to a section….. in the bankrupcy act or liquidation act (I make this up obviously)?
    “What to do when you receive a fine ticket from your local Council?”
    “I can’t pay my rent. How should I fix it?”
    “The landlord said the damage is mine NOT wear and tear”
    I am happy to do a pod cast with you or Skype call do record and upload on your Youtube Channel if you have not found one yet.

Trudy Rankin
    • Total posts: 14

Hi, Sami

This has been an interesting discussion. I’ve had a quick look at your website and the types of posts that I would be interested in reading are definitely the client success stories.

Also, since you asked … ;) … here are some topics that I would find useful to read about:

• How to do a GDPR audit on your website
    • 5 quick things you can do to be GDPR compliant
    • What a good privacy policy looks like (you could do a great lead magnet by providing a draft policy for people to copy)
    • More on partnerships, especially when the partnership is informal and based on trust (you may have particular opinions as to how smart that is)

I could probably come up with more, but hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Trudy Rankin
    • Total posts: 14

Also, I wanted to sign up to your blog, but couldn’t find any way to do that on your website … might want to add in a sign up form :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.