Home – New Forums Tech talk Learning adobe illustrator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JPD
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi,

We use a local graphic designer to do our logos and advertising materials. We have also been trying get some designs/graphics for surfboards done that my husband has in his head but can’t seem to explain to people what it is we want (including our local graphic designer and 4 others). We think the best way to the designs he is after is to do them ourselves in illustrator and then by trial and error we can adjust them until we get what we want. I have illustrator but I have NO IDEA how to use it and I really need a “back p basics” way to learn. We have tred you tube tutorials and adobe tv but I’m thinking either a tutor or a course might be the best option.

Does anyone know of this type of training in Wollongong/Sydney area? Even a great book?

Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks

Jodie
    JPD Surf

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Have you tried lynda.com? They have nice tutorial progressions, from total newbie to intermediate, for a lot of technologies, including all the Adobe stuff. I’d subscribe for a month and see if it works for you.

You should know pretty quickly if its working for you, and if not, then maybe pursue a tutor.

One thing I’ll mention though. Illustrator is just a tool, like a fancy pencil. It still takes a certain artistic skill to get what is in your head out. It might be worth also going through a book like Drawing on the right side of the brain (highly recommended).

Hope that helps.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    adrian_gray, post: 129827 wrote:
    Have you tried lynda.com? They have nice tutorial progressions, from total newbie to intermediate, for a lot of technologies, including all the Adobe stuff. I’d subscribe for a month and see if it works for you.

You should know pretty quickly if its working for you, and if not, then maybe pursue a tutor.

One thing I’ll mention though. Illustrator is just a tool, like a fancy pencil. It still takes a certain artistic skill to get what is in your head out. It might be worth also going through a book like Drawing on the right side of the brain (highly recommended).

Hope that helps.

I agree with both of the comments by Adrian. Lynda is a great resource for learning the Adobe products (and others), but I’m not sure learning illustrator is what you need. You either need to learn how to draw, or preferably, find a graphic designer who understands what you’re trying to communicate – some are definitely better at it than others.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    John

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Can you draw? Do you have a design background?

If not, then this approach might be more trouble than it’s worth.

Illustrator is a professional tool, you either need to have strong design or drawing skills to begin with, then you need to learn how to use the tool, and as it’s a professional product, you can’t just jump in and be awesome at it.

I would put your energy into finding a graphic designer / illustrator that can get inside your head and help bring your concepts to life. You don’t need a local graphic designer these days as the internet has shrunk the world.

JPD
    Up

Thank you your suggestions I’ll definitely try linda.com.

The designs are more abstract shapes and it’s more about the distance between them and pacement than the actual creativity/artistic side of it. Jason has the designs and can explain bit by bit but paying someone to put that together is proving expensive. So we have some templates that we want to tweak and build from and try different parts with trial and error and at least get to a point that a graphic designer can then understand.

As an example when designing most things I use shapes and colours in word and then email it to start with. We have done 14 different attempts at this with graphic designers so far and it’s not working. Our ability to use the correct language and terms is probably our biggest problem.

Thanks again, anymore recommendations or direction would be greatly appreciated.

JPD
    Up

Any recommendations on an Australian based designer?

We just found out our website developer outsourced the work overseas so I’d prefer to stick locally

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi JPD,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

I did some courses with these guys about four years ago, and they were really good for someone who’s not a designer, but just needs a general idea. I think if you actually did have a design bent (which I don’t) they’d probably be even better.

One of the best aspects for me was that (at the time) they gave you the option of repeating the course for free within a certain period, so I was able to go away, experiment, and come back with lots of questions.

Good luck with it,
    Jayne

bluewoodstudio
    • Total posts: 233
    Up

If you are in Sydney, Alpha are the Adobe experts.

But I agree with what others have said, Illustrator is a complex program. I may be able to help you… I am pretty good and getting briefs out of clients…?

Happy to have a chat anyway.

Heidi :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Loftus TAFE run a cert IV in digital media which includes Illustrator as well as PS and others.

Steve

evti
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Could also try City Desktop Training, they offer courses in all of the design courses.

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    JPD, post: 129867 wrote:
    Any recommendations on an Australian based designer?

We just found out our website developer outsourced the work overseas so I’d prefer to stick locally

You can try finding some freelance designers on freelancer.com.au, elance.com and odesk.com. Those are the big markets for freelance dsigners and developers.

I wouldn’t discount looking overseas for designers either (as you might find one that will works great with you). Plenty of talent with good customer service in Europe, USA, etc.

Chris@Tapestry
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Don’t go overseas :( make friends in Australia :)
    I can draw, have used illustrator for 17 years, and have taken briefs for that long.
    It puzzles me that 5 designers, including your regular one can’t make this work for you. I doubt remote dealings would help that any!

Illustrator is tricky for the novice, lots of curves and handles and tricky bits.

Hit me up for a quote. I’m Sydney based. Or I could quote to teach you illustrator, but I guarantee that will cost you more in time and money.

All the best.

MrMelbourne
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Send me your drawings and I can help ya. You basically want your drawings vectorized right? Illustrator is not that hard it just needs time and more time, it is like all things.

As for learning Adobe products, I taught myself and internet tutorials are good way to start. Lots of messing around is the best, every month you will see some progress.

You have to have passion for design and creativity…I’m married to two women and they are Adobe and Apple :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.