Home – New Forums Other discussions Lease Responsibilities of Landlord & CPI increases

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ad2405
    Participant
    • Total posts: 66
    Up
    ::

With a commercial property what are the responsibilities of the landlord?

Carpet condition? Is this what we as the tenant have to look after and pay for or the landlord?
    Air Conditioning? If we wish to have air con installed, who pays.

With both of these, the landlord agrees to pay for them, but they want $200 extra a month. Is it reasonable for them to ask for an extra $200 a month on our lease to cover the costs of what I believe is maintaining the premises to be suitable for tenancy. That is $7,200 over a 3 year lease term.

PLUS

Is it reasonable to have CPI increase on the rent every year?
    In 3 years my rent has gone up $300 a month. I was talking to my barber the other day (as you do!) and he has not had a rent increase in 7 years.

Do I have an unfair landlord?
    I am not happy that’s for sure, I want to leave and move problem is I have no where to move to which would benefit my business.

Any advice or constructive comments would be welcome :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ad2405, post: 194703 wrote:
    With a commercial property what are the responsibilities of the landlord?

Carpet condition? Is this what we as the tenant have to look after and pay for or the landlord?
    Air Conditioning? If we wish to have air con installed, who pays.

With both of these, the landlord agrees to pay for them, but they want $200 extra a month. Is it reasonable for them to ask for an extra $200 a month on our lease to cover the costs of what I believe is maintaining the premises to be suitable for tenancy. That is $7,200 over a 3 year lease term.

PLUS

Is it reasonable to have CPI increase on the rent every year?
    In 3 years my rent has gone up $300 a month. I was talking to my barber the other day (as you do!) and he has not had a rent increase in 7 years.

Do I have an unfair landlord?
    I am not happy that’s for sure, I want to leave and move problem is I have no where to move to which would benefit my business.

Any advice or constructive comments would be welcome :)

It should all be covered by your lease agreement,

Personally I would say your barber is on a good wicket, as it is unusual for any lease (cormercial or not), not to include an annual increase, and from what I have seen it is generally CPI. If you signed the lease with CPI, you cannot call your landlord unfair.

Condition of any fittings, etc is generally up to you to maintain accept for reasonable wear and tear, again check your lease.

If there was no airconditioning when you took on the lease and now you want air conditioning, it is fair for your landlord to expect you to pay additional lease costs for them to install it. Unless of course it was promised prior to signing the lease, in which case it would be documented.

Landlord sounds fair to me.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Been a long time since I had a full commercial lease, but I’d have to agree with bb1.

Anything not specifically mentioned in the lease, and especially fittings and fixtures was always my problem.

The ONLY thing the landlord did was lift the rent, as soon as it was possible under the terms of the lease.

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

CPI or 4% a year is pretty standard in Commercial Leases

Lease contains all the details you need. You would normally be responsible for all internal fittings like carpet etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.