Home – New Forums Other discussions Leasing an office – what do I need to know?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #990637
    Kate Toon
    Member
    • Total posts: 79
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi

    I’ve decided I can’t work at home any more and have found a local commercial space to let.

    Is there anything I need to know – can I simply sign the lease and move in?

    I mean obviously I have to consider
    – Utilities, Rates, Internet

    But do I have to worry about
    – Signage – permits for a sign in the window?
    – Fire safety – do I need to install smoke alarms and hoses?
    – Insurance if people come and visit me there?

    Just don’t want to miss anything.
    Thanks
    Kate

    #1177921
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    Kate Toon, post: 207156 wrote:
    Hi

    I’ve decided I can’t work at home any more and have found a local commercial space to let.

    Is there anything I need to know – can I simply sign the lease and move in?

    I mean obviously I have to consider
    – Utilities, Rates, Internet

    But do I have to worry about
    – Signage – permits for a sign in the window?
    – Fire safety – do I need to install smoke alarms and hoses?
    – Insurance if people come and visit me there?

    Just don’t want to miss anything.
    Thanks
    Kate

    Hi Kate

    Congrats, dependant on how you are sourcing the premise you may also require a Bank Guarantee which forms a part of the ‘bond’ held by the banks in case you do something untoward.

    Cheers
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1177922
    ThexArm
    Member
    • Total posts: 253
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think there are other costs such as outgoings, key cost, security cost etc. I found this article in relation to this I hope you may not have gone through already! http://www.allianz.com.au/business/small-business-insurance/news/retail-property-leasing-tips-and-costs

    #1177923
    Kate Toon
    Member
    • Total posts: 79
    Up
    0
    ::
    ThexArm, post: 207170 wrote:
    I think there are other costs such as outgoings, key cost, security cost etc. I found this article in relation to this I hope you may not have gone through already! http://www.allianz.com.au/business/small-business-insurance/news/retail-property-leasing-tips-and-costs

    Thank you so much, that was a really useful read

    #1177924
    Kate Toon
    Member
    • Total posts: 79
    Up
    0
    ::
    SimplyReplica, post: 207157 wrote:
    Hi Kate

    Congrats, dependant on how you are sourcing the premise you may also require a Bank Guarantee which forms a part of the ‘bond’ held by the banks in case you do something untoward.

    Cheers
    Jason

    Okay thanks Jason, i didn’t know about that. Really helpful. Ta!

    #1177925
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    Kate Toon, post: 207173 wrote:
    Okay thanks Jason, i didn’t know about that. Really helpful. Ta!

    No Probs Kate,

    Not saying you will definitely need one as it all depends on circumstances and what you are leasing.. If you are subleasing etc etc… Just make sure when you are discussing ‘leases’ with the commercial agents you ask what securities are required.

    Just make sure you look at the paperwork and read the requirements, if you have already found a place to let just contact the commercial agent and ask for a copy of the agreement. This will outline all of your property costs including outgoings, maintenance, refurb requirements (if any) etc etc

    Let us know how you go
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1177926
    PRO
    Member
    • Total posts: 450
    Up
    0
    ::

    Some variations state to state
    If Qld I can give you some answers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.