Home – New Forums Starting your journey Legal Help?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I’m in the middle of starting up my own swimwear business and need some help with the legal side of it all.

I’ve got my ABN and registered my business name but do I need anything else?

It will be an online store that will ship worldwide. I get my bikinis made in brazil but they are my own design. i have already got my domain name for the website and got the help of an IT business to do the rest of the website based stuff.

I guess my question is – is there any import taxes or ANY other legal stuff i have to apply for other than an ABN and business name. I really want to do all this the right way.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Alana, you may find this link of interest

http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessTopics/Homebasedbusiness/Pages/default.aspx

Cheers
    Pete

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Selling via your site will require terms and conditions and you would be wise to purchase from someone like http://www.legalvision.com.au

Your imports will depend on the size of the shipments so a little more research will need to be done there.

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Alana

Great that you have registered your business name and got your ABN and domain name. Are you operating as a sole trader or some other structure (company? trust?)

You don’t need to register for GST until your turnover reaches $75,000 in a rolling 12 month period. However you can choose to register for it.

You also may want to look at trademarking your business name. This is not a requirement but will help protect your brand in the long run.

Have you looked at Insurance? I would speak to an insurance broker about product liability insurance and also business contents insurance to protect your stock from theft, flood, fire etc.

You won’t owe any tax until you lodge your first tax return but if your business is making profits you should get someone to help you calculate how much tax you will owe so you can put it aside each month rather than end up with a big tax bill at the end of the year that you can’t afford.

Great you are looking into all of these things upfront.

Cheers

Gabrielle

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Alana, and welcome to Flying Solo.

You’re received some great advice there to get you started – please feel free to continue posting any questions that come up for you.

Hope you love every moment of being your own boss,
    Jayne

AlanaC
    Up

Thanks Gabrielle! That was really helpful for me. I will definetly now look into insurances and trademarking!

FYI – i’ll be a sole trader.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Alana,

You also may want to look at trademarking your business name. This is not a requirement but will help protect your brand in the long run.

Absolutely – but possibly more importantly is making sure your chosen brand doesn’t infringe any existing trademarks. Trademarks are a country-by-country thing, so, if you intend to promote in other countries specifically they’ll need consideration to.

You mention your bikinis are your own design. If they are new and haven’t yet been publicly disclosed, then the may be eligible for design protection. A registered design protects the way something looks – it’s overall appearance when it is new and distinct when compared to other products on the market.

Even though someone is manufacturing for you, in Australia as the seller you will be viewed as the manufacturer, so, be sure to read up at the ACCC website on any responsibilities you have in providing products to consumers.

All the best :)

Spacelli
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 185386 wrote:
    Hi All,

I’m in the middle of starting up my own swimwear business and need some help with the legal side of it all.

I’ve got my ABN and registered my business name but do I need anything else?

It will be an online store that will ship worldwide. I get my bikinis made in brazil but they are my own design. i have already got my domain name for the website and got the help of an IT business to do the rest of the website based stuff.

I guess my question is – is there any import taxes or ANY other legal stuff i have to apply for other than an ABN and business name. I really want to do all this the right way.

Hi Alana,

I recommend finding the right advisers who are licensed and fully qualified (Accounting and Insurance Brokers probably the most critical). Use a recommendation or referral – but do your own research and make sure you connect with people who you can trust and rely upon.

Good luck with the new venture!

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 185457 wrote:
    Thanks Gabrielle! That was really helpful for me. I will definetly now look into insurances and trademarking!

Hey Alana,

Good to see you are getting some good advice on here and that you are well on your way!

I have quite a few importers in my portfolio so if you have any questions on the type of insurances you may need for your business, please feel free to ask – I also replied to an online store thread recently (http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/29413-insurance-advice-please.html) which may also point you in the right direction.

Good luck with it all!

Regards,

Mark

AlanaC
    Up

Thanks so much everyone for your awesome advise! Especially getting the answers i needed within 24 hours was amazing! It was really useful and am now on my way to trademarking and looking into some insurances mentioned. Thanks very much all!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Alana,

If you haven’t yet filed your trademark application – you might be interested to read an article I wrote for FS a little while ago – http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/startup/business-start-up/five-things-to-remember-when-registering-a-trade-mark

The process to register a trademark is lengthy – so this offers a couple of things to keep in mind now, when filing the application.

All the best,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.