Home Forums Logistics Legal red tape for selling dog food treats NSW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kat112
    • Total posts: 5

Hi, i think i have it worked out that if in NSW and selling NON – HUMAN GRADE ingredients as dog food treats there is nothing legal, permits, safety food standard test stuff i need. Is this right ?
    Where’s my proof, how can i be sure?
    So i want to make dog food treats from chicken and meat sold as dog food from a factory or butcher , turn into dog treats , packages it , label with my sole trader name, sell online or at markets.
    I have business public liability and indemnity already.
    can anyone find me quote, or real hard evident that’s i dont need anything to do this?
    is there a better place to ask?
    thanks guys

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

You are right, unfortunately there is little regulation of pet foods. As long as you abide by labelling standards, and don’t make any false or misleading statements you are good to go.
    There are standards made by a voluntary organisation called PFIAA, but no overarching legislation and those standards are only for members of that organisation.

https://pfiaa.com.au/pet-food-standards/

https://www.sharongivoni.com.au/pet-food-packaging-legal-requirements/

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

AS 5812:2017

AS 5812-2011

kat112
    bb1, post: 271958, member: 53375 wrote:
    AS 5812:2017

AS 5812-2011

sory i dont understand you?

bb1
    Participant
    kat112, post: 271972, member: 120779 wrote:
    sory i dont understand you?

Search on google, they are Australian standards in regards to Manufacturing and marketing of pet food

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

Keep in mind that although these standards should be followed they are, unfortunately, only voluntary standards.

bb1
    Participant
    Rowan@quaotic, post: 271975, member: 28171 wrote:
    Keep in mind that although these standards should be followed they are, unfortunately, only voluntary standards.

But I think if the OP was to ignore these standards and ended up doing major injury to a pet, their insurance coverage may look at them dimmly, and they asked for a better place to ask, wouldn’t the Australian Standards be a logical place to go.

kat112

Thank you both . yes ive confirmed there is not legal permit or anything i need to do to be able to sell and make dog food products if using pet food grade ingredients. keeping to standards quoted above is simple enough anyway and good business practise that shouldn’t be to hard.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121
    bb1, post: 271976, member: 53375 wrote:
    But I think if the OP was to ignore these standards and ended up doing major injury to a pet, their insurance coverage may look at them dimmly, and they asked for a better place to ask, wouldn’t the Australian Standards be a logical place to go.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Pet owners are becoming more educated day by day and many are very concerned what they feed their pets.

So it is also a good marketing opportunity to get out in front of an issue that many think of – that’s great for business and following the standards are great for pets and their owners.

Cheers
    Paul

Corey
    • Total posts: 568

Look at your competition, what are they doing? anything different?

Cheers
    Corey

bb1
    Participant
    Corey, post: 271991, member: 31331 wrote:
    Look at your competition, what are they doing? anything different?

Cheers
    Corey

Sorry bad idea in this instance, if the competition is doing it wrong and you copy them, then you are still liable to be sued.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568

Conduct a SWOT analysis…

A SWOT analysis is a simple tool to help you work out the internal and external factors affecting your business. It is one of the most commonly used business analysis and decision-making tools. A SWOT analysis helps you:

• build on strengths (S)
    • minimise weakness (W)
    • seize opportunities (O)
    • counteract threats (T).

Source: SWOT analysis | Business Queensland

Cheers
    Corey

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.