Home – New Forums Starting your journey Legality of selling Baby Skin Care Products

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Carlzy
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have a business selling Modern Cloth Nappies. I am now making and using cloth wipes with my own wipes solution. What I want to know is, is there anything I need to do before I start selling my wipes solution? It is made with all natural food grade products which I will be listing on the labels. Do I need to get some kind of special insurance? Do I need to get permission to sell this from the government or wherever? I know I’m all covered to sell the fabric items, but I’m just wanting to make sure I’m doing the right thing before I start selling the liquid products, and that I cover myself on the off chance that someone might have an allergic reaction etc.

I also make a hand sanitizer that I will be wanting to sell too.

thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me! I’ve searched all over Google to no avail.

Kind regards,
    Carly

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    Carlzy, post: 18454 wrote:
    Hi,

I have a business selling Modern Cloth Nappies. I am now making and using cloth wipes with my own wipes solution. What I want to know is, is there anything I need to do before I start selling my wipes solution? It is made with all natural food grade products which I will be listing on the labels. Do I need to get some kind of special insurance? Do I need to get permission to sell this from the government or wherever? I know I’m all covered to sell the fabric items, but I’m just wanting to make sure I’m doing the right thing before I start selling the liquid products, and that I cover myself on the off chance that someone might have an allergic reaction etc.

I also make a hand sanitizer that I will be wanting to sell too.

thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me! I’ve searched all over Google to no avail.

Kind regards,
    Carly

Considering some of your products will more than likely be vegetable oil based (which are able to be absorbed), it’d be worth looking at the TGA to get an idea of that sort of thing.

The TGA will have all the info you need to know regarding labelling standards also.

Cheers,
    Joel

Carlzy
    Up

Thanks Joel I’ll give that a go! I appreciate your quick reply!

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    Carlzy, post: 18490 wrote:
    Thanks Joel I’ll give that a go! I appreciate your quick reply!

No worries Carly. Good luck with your business!

Cheers,
    Joel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Carlzy

The regulatory classification of your products will depend both on the ingredients they contain and whether you are making any therapeutic claims for them (e.g. “These nappy wipes relieve eczema and nappy rash”). This is a bit of a catch-22: Formulating and marketing your product in such a way as to be a therapeutic good makes it easier to sell, but also increases your compliance costs.

As Joel said, the TGA is a good starting point. This page: http://www.tga.gov.au/cosmetics/index.htm also contains links to the NICNAS website, which may be the regulator of your products if the ingredients don’t fall under the TGA’s jurisdiction.

Personally I think insurance is a good idea. The last thing you want is to be unprotected if someone’s baby has an allergic reaction to one of your products! If you have the cash to invest in expert advice on the regulatory issues involved, this company is highly reputable in the industry: http://www.tga.gov.au/cosmetics/index.htm

They also conduct 1/2 day workshops on cosmetic regulatory issues every now and then. Apologies but I don’t know the cost.

Good luck with everything, please let me know if I can help any further.
    Jayne (with FS Concierge hat off!)

Solo Lawyer
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

Dear Carlzy

In addition to the valuable information provided by Jayne, you will also need to look at the relevant Australian Standard for Cosmetics and Toiletries.

This is a mandatory standard so failure to comply can result in the he Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) taking legal action.

The ACCC has a free brochure which explains a supplier’s obligations under the Standard. Here is the link –

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/323594

Bye

Michael Terceiro
    Solo Lawyer
    http://www.terceiro.com.au

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Carlzy, apologies – I just realised that the second link I posted was the same TGA one as the first. This is the regulatory company that I meant to direct you to:
    http://www.robert-forbes.com/public_html/index.php

Kind regards
    Jayne

Carlzy
    Up

Thanks to everyone for the help you’ve provided!

My Baby Wipes Solution contains: Water, Apricot Oil, Aloe Vera, coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, and glycerine.

I’m not making any claims about it other than it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals like other brands do.

Such as Propylene Glycol which is a cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair products, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

This is why I’m so passionate about making and selling my own products, to keep my son and other babies safe from these dangerous chemicals.

I noticed that my son was getting a nasty nappy rash and so I started using cloth nappies on him which did help, but every time he had a dirty nappy and I’d clean him up, the next time he’d have a bad rash again. I thought it must have been the result of the dirty nappy, but I started sitting him in the trough and washing his bottom between nappy changes instead and it went away. This led me to start researching why, and I researched what all these chemicals I unknowingly was using on him were.

It was after that that I refused to use the commercial brand wipes, because even the ones that don’t use Propylene Glycol use other forms of chemicals that are just as harmful, some of them even being carcinogenic. I looked into herbs and natural oils that have beneficial properties and cleaning agents and I came up with this product and my son has never had nappy rash since. And he smells like a sweet Apricot! :)

Nadine Hall
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Carly

I know a lot about this area as I have spent 3 years working on my skin care range if you are in Qld a lady you could contact is Wendy Free from Quality Matters Safety Matters she has a website so just use her email, she is very high up in the cosmetics industry and can answer all of your questions from formulating your product to checking your labels and packaging, advertising laws etc you can go to TGA website but it can get a bit overwhelming.
    She has been a fantastic help for me ask about the mentor programs as they do hold them and you can get a few hours from industry experts at very cheap rates.

Best of luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.