Home – New Forums Other discussions Legality question on product bundling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shockfree
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

Have a question I am hopeful some kind FS member can help me out with.

To state the situation simply, I wish to bundle a few different related products (Vitamins/minerals/detox teas) from different producers into one ‘program’ or ‘package’ that I have created. Through experience I have found that these products complement each other well for the desired effect

I’ve read about product bundling or tying but I’m not sure that is applicable, in that my proposed product is just going to be one product, in one box, however it is going to contain inside a few different brands which complement each other well for the desired effect.

I am wondering what the legal implications are here. Can I brand my ‘package’ with my own brand, containing inside products branded and trademarked by others, and sell my brand in its own retail box. Would authorisation from the various suppliers be sufficient to do so, or am I still breaching some legislation or opening myself up to litigation for placing anothers product in my own branded retail box.

I guess it’s not that different from Toyota selling a vehicle with a TomTom branded GPS system, so long as the agreement is in place between the two..?

I hope someone can provide some advice or a nudge in the right direction.

Cheers!

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up
    ::
    Shockfree, post: 197929 wrote:
    Hey guys,

Have a question I am hopeful some kind FS member can help me out with.

To state the situation simply, I wish to bundle a few different related products (Vitamins/minerals/detox teas) from different producers into one ‘program’ or ‘package’ that I have created. Through experience I have found that these products complement each other well for the desired effect

I’ve read about product bundling or tying but I’m not sure that is applicable, in that my proposed product is just going to be one product, in one box, however it is going to contain inside a few different brands which complement each other well for the desired effect.

I am wondering what the legal implications are here. Can I brand my ‘package’ with my own brand, containing inside products branded and trademarked by others, and sell my brand in its own retail box. Would authorisation from the various suppliers be sufficient to do so, or am I still breaching some legislation or opening myself up to litigation for placing anothers product in my own branded retail box.

I guess it’s not that different from Toyota selling a vehicle with a TomTom branded GPS system, so long as the agreement is in place between the two..?

I hope someone can provide some advice or a nudge in the right direction.

Cheers!

If your package outlines that it contains the products inside and has a small disclaimer acknowledging who the trademark owners are then you may be ok.

I would be more concerned regarding the representations you make on what the products do. You can’t contract out of the Australian Consumer Law and so you need to be sure that the claims you make are backed up. Or that you say that the claims you make aren’t may not actually work someone in the fine print.

regards

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.