Home – New Forums Other discussions Lending your vehicle to a new employee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to ensure I cover myself and the business when lending our company car to new employees.

I.e. Employee needs to pickup or deliver goods, uses our company vehicle. If he speeds thru a red light camera or has an accident – how can we properly document that he was the individual driving the vehicle at the time of incident?

Thanks so much – looking forward to future discussions on this forum.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Greg,

That’s an interesting question – I’m sure someone around here will have some advice for you on that.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for joining us.

Jayne

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I would think the first step would be to consult your insurance company, and maybe a solicitor?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Idont think you are actually lending it to them you are providing them with a tool to perform their duties, just like you would provide a computer or any other essential equipment for the job you ask them to do.

You will need to check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for employee’s, if you are only privately insured you may need to check that business usage is covered, also if under 25 check for excess, etc.

As for speeding fines, when I employed, my solicitor had me have my employee fill out a log book (which is a good idea anyway), and therefor you have a record of when and where they drove the vehicle.

LisaWB
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

My day job is SDRO.

If they were to incur a traffic infringement you will need to be able to provide their date of birth, licence, address and name. In NSW legally you must sight their licence before they drive. If you can take the details, all the better!

Log books are a must to cover yourself.

In NSW as a business if you cannot nominate the driver, you will incur a Fail to Nominate penalty which is not cheap.

Tree Shaz
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Agree with advice given on this post. I would also recommend you have a good policy regarding the driving of work vehicles, that they read it and sign to say they agree. Log book for the car where whoever drives it signs off on the Kms they do (not sure but you might need that for FBT reporting???). most definitely have a copy of their licence on their personnel file.

cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.