Home – New Forums Tech talk Lenovo any good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    apress
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi all
    First post here..
    This seems like an active forum of small biz owners so I thought I’d ask what laptops you guys prefer.

I need to update from a very old Dell, and have been looking at HP’s and Lenovos. You can’t get Lenovo in any shops I’ve seen so i’m keen on your opinions. I have also noticed lenovo have some good online sales pretty often, so this is swaying my choice a bit :)

Thanks!

apress
    Up

Forgot to say – I saw Lenovo are having a sale tonight from 8pm (http://bit.ly/jVpoc0). Would love to pick up the 40% discount, so any info you have please let me know ASAP!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Levono are the third biggest computer maker in the world. Made in China. (But then so are iPads)

apress
    Up

Do you mean they sell the 3rd most? Or they make computers for a lot of other companies? I thought that was Clevo (or something like that..)

Joes
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    apress, post: 77396 wrote:
    Hi all
    First post here..
    This seems like an active forum of small biz owners so I thought I’d ask what laptops you guys prefer.

I need to update from a very old Dell, and have been looking at HP’s and Lenovos. You can’t get Lenovo in any shops I’ve seen so i’m keen on your opinions. I have also noticed lenovo have some good online sales pretty often, so this is swaying my choice a bit :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I think lenovo are good
    I think they are owned by IBM
    I bought this Lenovo recently at a MSY shop in North Melbourne for $499
    http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6781

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

More info on Lenovo

apress
    Up
    Joes, post: 77426 wrote:
    Yeah, I think lenovo are good
    I think they are owned by IBM
    I bought this Lenovo recently at a MSY shop in North Melbourne for $499
    http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6781

Thanks for that..
    I noticed the sale is on again tonight (site was updated: http://bit.ly/jVpoc0) so I think I’ll go for something in the T series..

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Apress,

Although I might be a bit late to offer pre-purchase advice, I thought I would chime in here with support for Lenovo products.

Over the last two weeks I have been fortunate enough to use a Thinkpad Edge 14 and the super serious Thinkpad w520.

Thats pretty much Lenovos entry level Thinkpad and their top-of-the-line super laptop/portable workstation.

Both of them were fantastic. In-fact, you would have a hard time picking them apart. They are both solid and well built. Their keyboards are class leaders and very tactile.

The Lenovo online store offers realy good bundle deals/discounts so buy all your software with the laptop. Also make sure you pick up the Next Business Day Onsite Warranty, that can be a real life saver for not much outlay.

Ive run up a short review for the Edge 14, check it out here.

apress
    Up

Hi John

Thanks for that – not too late! I haven’t bought anything yet.

Funny you should mention the Edge, though, today I got sent another deal on a mailing list for E420/E520 (details: http://www.sandybridgelaptops.net/australia-lenovo-thinkpad-edge-cashback-offer-ends-june-6)

I’ve never used the E series myself, but I was looking around at reviews and they do look very good. The price of an i5 processor in the E520 with the above deal is quite good, IMHO. I was looking at the far more expensive models, but the more I look at it, getting E might better. I could get two of them, even!

Thanks again for your review -I read it and and it helped. Concise and mentioned actual business use, which was great. A lot of reviews get very geeky.
    Nice, clean blog site template too :)

Cheers…

IT Advocate, post: 78106 wrote:
    Hi Apress,

Although I might be a bit late to offer pre-purchase advice, I thought I would chime in here with support for Lenovo products.

Over the last two weeks I have been fortunate enough to use a Thinkpad Edge 14 and the super serious Thinkpad w520.

Thats pretty much Lenovos entry level Thinkpad and their top-of-the-line super laptop/portable workstation.

Both of them were fantastic. In-fact, you would have a hard time picking them apart. They are both solid and well built. Their keyboards are class leaders and very tactile.

The Lenovo online store offers realy good bundle deals/discounts so buy all your software with the laptop. Also make sure you pick up the Next Business Day Onsite Warranty, that can be a real life saver for not much outlay.

Ive run up a short review for the Edge 14, check it out here.

IT Advocate
    Up

Happy to be of service, Apress.

Pity about timing, you just missed the 40% sale they ran Friday till Sunday, some really good savings.

The 520 has a numeric keypad while the 420 does not. Also, the 520 is 15.6″ while the 420 is 14″, which is a pretty big size differential.

FYI Dont buy those Lenovos at MSY, they are not Thinkpads, but the lower grade consumer class products. Good for the price, but not Thinkpad quality.

The Thinkpad T series offers a longer battery life and the TPM – Trusted Platform Module, which is required if you want to run Bitlocker drive encryption.

The Edge has a 9cell battery upgrade option, but no TPM.

The T most likely is a better machine, but will you see a return on investment for the extra money?

I couldn’t actually identify an inferior part to the Edge.
    Generally with entry level laptops there is a dodgy screen or flimsy chassis, the Edge does not present with either of these.

If the Edge meets your technical specs then go for it. Get the 9 cell battery, and onsite warranty. Bundle as much as you can together to increase value for money.

If you need any other help or advice let me know. Im around here generally, but if u want fast answers, try my email or tweet me.

Cheers

apress
    Up

Hi John,

Thanks again for the great info. I didn’t know that about the ones at MSY.
    Another of my fav bloggers Paul Thurrott, did a good review on the E420s, which he bought to replace a MacBook Air. You might enjoy it: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-420s-136224

He also really likes it and confirms the quality aspects, too.

BTW, the late night sale is on again tonight! Saw on twitter: http://bit.ly/iyF4Zu. The only problem is that I priced up an Edge and the 9 cell battery delays shipping by 4 weeks. Might still get it though. I can’t live with the 6 cell.

Thanks again
    Apress

IT Advocate, post: 78119 wrote:
    Happy to be of service, Apress.

Pity about timing, you just missed the 40% sale they ran Friday till Sunday, some really good savings.

The 520 has a numeric keypad while the 420 does not. Also, the 520 is 15.6″ while the 420 is 14″, which is a pretty big size differential.

FYI Dont buy those Lenovos at MSY, they are not Thinkpads, but the lower grade consumer class products. Good for the price, but not Thinkpad quality.

The Thinkpad T series offers a longer battery life and the TPM – Trusted Platform Module, which is required if you want to run Bitlocker drive encryption.

The Edge has a 9cell battery upgrade option, but no TPM.

The T most likely is a better machine, but will you see a return on investment for the extra money?

I couldn’t actually identify an inferior part to the Edge.
    Generally with entry level laptops there is a dodgy screen or flimsy chassis, the Edge does not present with either of these.

If the Edge meets your technical specs then go for it. Get the 9 cell battery, and onsite warranty. Bundle as much as you can together to increase value for money.

If you need any other help or advice let me know. Im around here generally, but if u want fast answers, try my email or tweet me.

Cheers

apress
    Up

Was browsing Whirlpool… and the late night sale is on again! http://bit.ly/lzmCzW

IT Advocate
    Up

have a gorgeous red Thinkpad E420 on my desk at the moment. I’ll put up some pics when I can. The red really is nice, its sort of metallic, while still being fingerprint resistant.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.