Home – New Forums Tech talk Let Google Breath…. seriously

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    ::

In the last months I have been working in some niche/industries that are so competitive that I wonder all the time…

“why the heck did I accepted this gig? :confused:”…

For months it didn’t matter how many links, how much tweaks, how much authority we injected to the site…. nothing happened.

Nothing = No one single move in ranking. Like if the site was dead… not going up, not going down.

So I did the best SEO move ever: I packaged my bags and took the family to the snow.
    No internet, no link building, no more SEO… bye bye link building for 10 days.

And then I came back: Surprise Surprise. 😎

AAAALLL the impossible sites ranking in top 1st page. (like magic)

So the tip of the day is… let your site and google breath. Let Google count your links in peace, without you hammering google with more links.

Sometimes allowing the crawler to index everything properly without you asking “are we there yet????” can be a great decision.

Obviously I have no PRECISE DATA to backup my facts, but In case you want to read more about the effect of SNOW and SEO , follow the link ;)

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    seocourse, post: 86607 wrote:
    So I did the best SEO move ever: I packaged my bags and took the family to the snow.

I have found that going sailing also works for this. The main problem with the snow is hitting things – like ski lift towers, other skiers, and trees. (Apart from $50 for a cup of coffee.)

Actually it is amazing how quickly Google will index some things – particularly blog posts. Have had some listed in a few hours. It used to be that you could wait months.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

LOL seocourse,

Reminds me of the old phrase:

A Watched Pot Never Boils

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Ha ha, I don’t think this phenomenon is unique to SEO folks.

I can reliably inform you that the perfect tagline, headline or marketing strategy NEVER appears while you’re sitting at your desk.

Love your work!
    Jayne

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Obviously I have no PRECISE DATA to backup my facts…
    I’m with you on this one, Gab.

I suspect there are many functions where the G algorithm imparts a “slow down” effect like you describe.

My subjective impression is that it could be applied to new website indexing, link indexing, “review” indexing and more.

Have you noticed G index a number of pages from a new domain in a week or so post-launch, then drop most of them from its cache for a period of time?

With all the automated scraper programs and useless business directory sites cluttering G’s results, I suspect “slow downs” are intended and part of G’s index clean up process.

I don’t know how accurate the numbers are on this site: http://www.worldwidewebsize.com/. Check out its estimate of Google’s index size over the last 2 years. It ranges from 3 – 48 billion pages.

In the last month it reports a 10% variation between peak and trough. Maybe your client work got hammered when G dropped 10% of its pages. We’ll never know.

One thing is for sure, there will be a huge index cull again at some stage in the future. It has happened with every major algo upgrade since Google launched.

PS I liked your Top 10 Stupid SEO questions of the Week (http://www.internetninja.com.au/top-10-stupid-seo-questions-of-the-week/)

Regs,
    JohnW

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up
    In the last months I have been working in some niche/industries that are so competitive that I wonder all the time…

For months it didn’t matter how many links, how much tweaks, how much authority we injected to the site…. nothing happened.

Nothing = No one single move in ranking. Like if the site was dead… not going up, not going down.

So the tip of the day is… let your site and google breath. Let Google count your links in peace, without you hammering google with more links.

Sometimes allowing the crawler to index everything properly without you asking “are we there yet????” can be a great decision.

Obviously I have no PRECISE DATA to backup my facts, but In case you want to read more about the effect of SNOW and SEO , follow the link ;)

Maybe you attracted some natural links whilst you were away having fun?

Explainafide
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Last month for some reason every one of my links disappeared (accept one). 6 months of link building went away in a blink. I wanted to send Google a nasty email- do they even have an email address?

But sure enough four days later they all reappeared plus extra ones I’d forgotten about.

Google is very good at what it does. They’re strange and mysterious and we might not like everything they do- but they do it mighty well and generally seem pretty fair.

If you’re reading this Mr.Google give me a boost!

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

When I first started in SEO I’d see this all the time and freak out.

One day i’d be ranking 3rd then the next day i was down to 40 – a week later number 2…

Sometimes their algorithm shifts and crawls come at strange times and can make you do backflips in bed. Overall though, the simple fact remains. Constant content creation and SEO pays off.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I often notice my ranking will drop dramatically one day then rise higher than it ever was the following day!

Printerboy
    • Total posts: 151
    Up

This gives me hope for my hard work that I have yet to see to much results for, I think I might have had a slight link building addiction for a while

great post
    Ben

Liza Tailor
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

What kind of back links did you use & how did you manage to remove 6k?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.