Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Letterbox drops and flyer distribution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    gretel
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Just wondering if letterbox drops & targeted flyer distribution on, in my case, cars in the carpark at a baby exhibition, for example, actually work for any kind of business.

My partner and I have very little marketing budget, but need to get the word out about our amazing portrait photography business. We’ve just opened a new studio in Crows Nest too.

We are thinking about doing letterbox drops in the areas where our target market lives & putting flyers in cars in carparks at events etc our target market attends, but are concerned that these kinds of activities will cheapen our brand because they are used so frequently by cheap plumbers & pizza joints etc. Will it cheapen our brand? or is it something we should really look at? Are there any examples we should look at where it has been a success?

Gretel

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I just burnt $600 on a 5000 flyer letterbox drop, didn’t get one enquiry from it. Very disappointed, they probably ended up in a bin somewhere.

I certainly wont be spending my money on that form of marketing again any time soon, not to say it doesn’t work though. I think it was more bad timing on my behalf then anything.

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

hmm you’ve got a bit of a problem there. You have a small budget which doesn’t give you much room to not have a ‘cheap brand’ with high reach.

One area that you might want to look at is Facebook advertising to people within XY kilometre’s of your location who are recently engaged. You have complete control over how much you spend as well.

Letterbox drops might have your target market a bit too spread out, but flyers on cars at relevant events would definitely hit your market. If your going to look into something like this, really concentrate on the message so as you said, it doesn’t cheapen your message. It might be worth designing a business card with a special offer on the back and putting this under car wipers instead of a cheap flyer.

How about working out some referral systems with other local businesses where they put your flyers up or mention you in some way. Perhaps in exchange you can offer than 5-10% of the sale value or promote their business in the same way. Their customers may be given a discount voucher for you at the end of their sale, and you can do the same for them and their customers. Tactics like these barely cost you a cent, and if they don’t produce anything, they’ve done no harm.

Hope thats of some help!
    Mike

gretel
    Up

Thanks for your reply. Shame it didn’t work? Do you know why? Just timing?

What sort of business do you have? What is your target market?

gretel
    Up

Thanks for the comments & ideas Mike – awesome. I’ve thought of doing ‘retailer vouchers’ with some local businesses that sell sucessfully to my target market… where customers receive one of our vouchers for purchasing over $100 or $200 or so..

sourceview
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    gretel, post: 20577 wrote:
    Just wondering if letterbox drops & targeted flyer distribution on, in my case, cars in the carpark at a baby exhibition, for example, actually work for any kind of business.

My partner and I have very little marketing budget, but need to get the word out about our amazing portrait photography business. We’ve just opened a new studio in Crows Nest too.

We are thinking about doing letterbox drops in the areas where our target market lives & putting flyers in cars in carparks at events etc our target market attends, but are concerned that these kinds of activities will cheapen our brand because they are used so frequently by cheap plumbers & pizza joints etc. Will it cheapen our brand? or is it something we should really look at? Are there any examples we should look at where it has been a success?

Gretel
    Gretel, double-sided flyers printed on a warm colored paper and personally given out work, but not on car windows. It is the personal touch of you personally going up to someone and saying hi, he we are and this is what we can do for you, and here is your discount on our first work with you. You would be better if you could get a small table outside the event with a large sign, but be sure and ask the management.

gretel
    Up

Great idea. What do you think about letterbox drops?

sourceview
    Up

Gretel, in general in USA, direct mail is working but very expensive. Is that what you mean by letterbox drops? Since I was in both the family portrait and fashion model photo business – far far away in a different universe, here is what worked then:

We put up a nice table display in local supermarkets with a sample of our work, offering a free 8×10 colored portrait just for signing up. Now, most parents and families knew they were going to buy more prints, but they signed up anyway. We called them and set an appointment for shooting, and afterwards we made special offers to them — only once did we not make money on a sitting. Our processor paid for the 8×10.

Photogs here in USA are everywhere. The most popular is to setup with a school or athletic team for group and individual shots – I still have a pic of my young son holding a soccer ball in his uniform stuck to my monitor. In general, what I am trying to emphasize is that personal contacts, eyeball to eyeball contacts, and reputation work.

Let me give you another idea. In San Francisco I ran Contemporary Models. We advertised in newspapers for fashion models – Free evaluation of your chances at making it in Fashion Modeling. We interviewed about 12 women over 18 every day. Our presentation was the same: the chances of you making it in fashion modeling is very slim to none, but we do happen to have a weekend training session (Sat and Sun for ten hours) which included instruction in dance and movement, a free make-up by our make-up artist, and 5 to six hours of shooting in front of 5 photographers, myself included. It was all black and white, and we had on hand two male models from winning contests in New York City to model with them. Each photographer had to provide one 11X14 black and white print for each model, our weekends were reserved for just 10 prospective models and we charged $495. for the sessions, 10 11X14 prints (they could choose) and 100 zed cards. My net after paying the male models, the dance instructors and in house processing photog (she worked fulltime) was $4000/week, and I kept it up for two years.

gretel
    Up

Thanks for your reply and great info.
    Lots of food for thought!
    By letterbox drops I mean putting flyers into people’s letterboxes in areas you know your target market lives.

sourceview
    Up

NO wonder I wasn’t familiar with the term. That is expressly illegal in USA. But realtors do drop off their brochures on our front porch once a month, and we ignore them, as we do the free weekly paper.

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

Flyers do not work. You would be better to go to the Baby exhibition dressed in work clothes with your company name logo etc. Smile and be really friendly complimenting people on their babies and handing out your business card and a brochure etc. Someone mentioned spending $600 on a letterbox drop. If you spent $600 on Google Adwords you would get a way better ROI.

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 20578 wrote:
    I just burnt $600 on a 5000 flyer letterbox drop, didn’t get one enquiry from it. Very disappointed, they probably ended up in a bin somewhere.

I certainly wont be spending my money on that form of marketing again any time soon, not to say it doesn’t work though. I think it was more bad timing on my behalf then anything.

Could the problem have been your flier? Fliers still work. I know another copywriter who is doing 1 or 2 fliers for clients a week, and they’re getting results.

Did you identify a USP/UVP that your target market wanted? Have a strong, compelling headline that couldn’t be ignored? What was your offer like? Did you emotionally involve your prospect and build rapport with them by showing them you understand their problems, then explaining how YOU can solve their frustration quickly and easily.

I’d avoid car windows though. They just annoy people and by the time they get home to take action on your flier, they’ve forgotten all about it.

BTW, have you considered melbournes child/sydneys child/whatever city’s child magazines?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hugh, not saying that flyers don’t work, they just didn’t work for me :P I still do flyers, just not in mass mail out quantities.

As for the marketing material itself, no doubt it was far from perfect, but I think it was pretty good. The headline was “computer running slow?”, which I think a lot of people can relate to :P

In my particular case, I feel it was just bad timing. I pressured myself into doing it because I needed clients, but in reality it’s a bad time to be advertising an IT service. Xmas is hardly a time when people have money to burn on their computers.

I’ll stick to putting flyers on counters =)

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I wouldn’t be so quick to condemn letterbox drops.

I’m in printing, so living vicariously through my clients I get a pretty good insight into letter box drops.

They tend to work more so if you target market is the general population.

One of my clients is a yoga instructor and she regularly, about every 2-3 weeks does a letterbox drop. Only about 1-2,000 at a time and she gets great results from it! (I think the maths works about to be about 2 new people coming to her classes for a couple of weeks pays the drop off)

I think with your industry, almost every house you drop off at would be a potential client.

My strategy is a 4 pronged attack, I’m not targeted towards the general population (as the general population doesn’t really need commercial printing, I focus toward businesses)

Week 1 – Letterbox Drop.
    Week 2 – Phone call
    Week 3 – Email
    Week 4 – Personal Letter in an envelope with my business card.

Because I know printing isn’t an impulse buy, I need to stay in my customers mind, so when they do need some printing, they will think of me.

Perhaps you can target your letterbox drops around certain periods, like as a great Christmas present? Do you offer Gift Vouchers?

Murray_Leslie
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

There are many variables when it comes to letterbox drops. Another way to increase your return is to analyze your customer database to highlight hot spot areas where you can target your campaigns.

Murrray Leslie
    Independent Letterbox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.