Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Letterbox drops and flyer distribution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    gretel
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

This has been quite an interesting discussion…

We’ve found that flyers have been the ONLY way we’ve been able to get any response thus far (bearing in mind we are operating on a shoestring marketing budget so haven’t gone in for big signage, expensive print or online advertising). The flyers that worked were ones that had some kind of limited offer on it, for example: $50 for a one hour photo session + two prints, with the flyers going out around Mother’s day.

I am still feeling that a letter box drop (naturally I’d get a distributor to do it for me!) might not be the way to go because it is casting too wide a net and not honing in on my target market, even though the areas I’d look at doing it have a large percentage of families with children under 5…
    Just not sure if a letter box drop would place us in the cheap and cheerful end of the portrait photography services scale, rather than the reasonably-priced, quality end we’d like to be at. I guess I’m concerned about the brand perception angle more than anything… we are a relatively new portrait business aiming to stand out and capture the attention of customers in a very fiercely competitive field. We need to be different, not be seen as just another portrait photography business just like the rest…

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

@Gretel – I just had a look at your website, I think your photography is absolutely stunning! Fantastic website too =)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of flyer did you use? Size, colour, paper weight etc.

I hear many varied stories form a lot of customers saying that certain styles get a much higher response rate.

gretel
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    Emroy, post: 28232 wrote:
    @Gretel – I just had a look at your website, I think your photography is absolutely stunning! Fantastic website too =)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of flyer did you use? Size, colour, paper weight etc.

I hear many varied stories form a lot of customers saying that certain styles get a much higher response rate.

Glad you like the photography!

Initially we produced our own flyers designed ourselves and printed on photographic paper. They were quite successful but have since move on to getting them designed (we are photograhers, not designers!) and printed in a postcard size, postcard weight or a lovely matt satin paper about 120gsm I think. We’ve had great feedback on the last lot, just need to think about what we do for the next one (wasn’t entirely happy with the design work on the last one!) and how we get them out to our target market more effectively.

Credit Manager
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Gretel,
    In my area, about 40% of households have “registered post only” notices on their mailboxes, and as for leaving flyers on cars, maybe check with your local council first, as it may not be legal.

Have you thought of approaching your local child care centres, bridal shops, and baby stores?
    Maybe even chemists, they normaly sell a fair bit of childrens stuff.

If you could get their permission to put one of your great pics in a nice frame on their counter with your fliers next to it, and maybe offer them an incentive such as a spotters fee, you may have some success.

Just my two cents worth
    Good luck with it.
    Paul

Fluidx
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Gretel,

You’ve received a lot of great posts. Really good ideas. It’s good to see what people have done and what has and has not worked.

From what I gather, the flyers have worked for you in the past. But if you are trying to reach your target market there are other methods. Paul mentioned advertising or promoting within organisations that your target market gather.

From my experience that is idea works quite well. But a call to action is important. Usually un-addressed mail outs need to be conducted in the masses, with really good call to actions to get a response. Like Woolworths catalogues.

Have you tried doing a personalised direct target mail out? Usually when I conduct direct mail outs I always follow up. I never really on the mail out alone to bring in the business. It usually gives some good pull but requires some follow up.

Have you thought about markets? Paddy’s markets or Narrabeen markets. Whatever you’re targeted market area is?

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Gretel

Emroy is on the money..letter box drops do work, however it can better for some industries than others and there could also be seasonal factors. Like Emroy say’s about having a four pronged attack it is all about a mix of promotional channels, picking the ones which will work for you is the hardest. As Henry Ford once said ‘I know 50% of my advertising works, just don’t know which 50%’

One thing about flyers and advertising is a factor which is called Awareness. Awareness is created by using the same methods of advertising i.e. the same add in the local rag over a period of time usually 9months, after is time your success rate escalates dramatically. And this is the reason why people say flyers don’t work, they do it once with minimal or no response.

May I suggest you try of working up an offer and take it to the local Sporting Clubs and Kindergartens? They are always looking for some $ assistance to run their organizations. I now one person who did this and it was so successful he paid out $33K in one year to one club. It was a different product to yours, but gives an insight to how you may get some traction.

Cheers

Steven

rowan
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Be careful,

It is illegal to put fliers on cars in Australia.

I have found that letterbox drops are a waste of time. It is far better to offer some juditious freebies, or hae a stand at a local shopping centre (ask for a discount if you are not actually selling on the day, just offering information) If you put up an interesting and different display you will attract attention.
    Some shops (especially child clothing sellers and baby stores) may be interested in a ‘come in and get your child’s picture taken “Geddes style”‘ day.
    I do some photography and have found that I get enquiries when I wear a shirt advertising my photography, or a handbag with a good photo printed on it (email me for details on where to get these things printed).

I have got some work after teaching photography courses. These courses tend to show people how hard it is to take their own professional looking pictures, and give you a chance to show off your skills and advertise.

Cheers,
    Rowan

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    rowan, post: 28598 wrote:
    Be careful,

I have found that letterbox drops are a waste of time.

Cheers,
    Rowan

Hi Rowan

Just out of interest how much have invested in the flyers? That’s not just money, but along of how long did you keep your campaign going?

Cheers

Steven

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up

Flyers can work. But only if done properly. Judging by the sort of junk that comes through my letterbox, businesses don’t realise this.

As for the windscreen wiper idea – scrap that. It does look cheap.

For quality flying there are four things you need to do:

1. Define your audience and target them.
    2. Write good copy.
    3. Choose quality paper and get it printed professionally.
    4. Get your timing right. (If you’re delivering to mailboxes, avoid junk mail day as you will be competing for attention.)

Here’s an example of a print product I have used in the past for a green cleaning business I own. My response rate (with conversion of around 95%) has consistently sat at around 7%.

collateral_window_cleaning_card.jpg

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Paul,

Just a heads up that the original poster on this thread has probably resolved their questions about flyers now – it was started back in 2010 and only reopened today by someone who was advertising (and whose post has now been removed).

Sorry for the inconvenience 😡
    Jayne

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up

Thanks for the heads up Jayne. Hope my response is useful to whomever stumbles upon it from here… :)

Danielle Murdoch
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

When I was in university, I saw a portraits photography who had a small booth set up that had a competition running. Fill in your name address and phone number (now a days it would be Name and email address!) and you go into win a free sitting in the studio. My flatmates and I all signed up and we all won – it was exciting until we realised it was just a poly. But a good one.

I would suggest, setting up a newsletter and getting all your existing and past clients to sign up. Offer them limited deals through it. Remember special dates, ie if you are taking pregant shots, contact them once the baby is born for a follow up shoot.

I just took a look at you website, but it look as if it is currently down. However, pulling your website up in the “Wayback Machine” looks as if you have a website that has been around for awhile.

I just completed a photography website where we focused on content based Local SEO and within a week she had a 5% increase in conversions. Which is outstanding – not everyone can achieve this, but it shows you what a good website can do for you.

Best of Luck!

Renee.Schouten
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hello. I am running my first flyer campaign soon. It will be 3weeks in a row. One flyer drop won’t work. You need 3 I hear. Ill let you know how I go. I have an online store. Not brick and mortar. http://Www.zazzle.com/rhschou

Paul Leach
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Gretel,

I have always had a good response in the past from letterbox drops, as with all advertising if it is well designed with a strong offer and call to action then it stands a much better chance. I get a lot of flyers delivered at home that look poorly produced and do not really promote the business properly.

Have you considered looking into some of the mums groups on Facebook? I have a client who used these quite successfully. Most groups have a large and very active member base and posts within FB groups get a lot more coverage than standard page posts.

Good luck with the business!

Paul

Paul Leach
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

P.S Went to look at your Website but it appears to be down?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.