Home – New Forums Starting your journey License help please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jordanwhittaker
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi guys
    does anyone know if I can start picking up work on my own as a carpenter without having a license ? Will I get in some sort of trouble? I’m waiting on it at the moment and I should have it by the end of the month, max next month ? But I want to start working for myself now? Will it affect any insurances?

Thanks in advance
    Jordan

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Contact your insurance company/broker and ask them, they are the only ones who can confirm your specific policy requirements.

As for the licensing, try the Master Builders Association in your state.

Good luck !!

Wendy :)

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Jordan,

Basically if you are undertaking work that requires a licence and you do not currently hold that licence, then you will not be covered by your Public / Products Liability insurance policy. You would also face sanctions from Fair Trading for being an unlicensed contractor.

You will find that you can’t get cover for this as it is a moral hazard which insurers won’t consider.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I would wait until the licence arrives and then be ready to go….

Regards,

Mark

ShellysBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Hi Jordan,
    I think in qld there is a $ limit on work you can perform without a building license. Best to check with your insurance agency and the building association to find out what you can legally do while waiting for your license.
    The other option might be to do some subcontracting work. Or you may be able to quote on some work in preparation for obtaining your license.
    Shelly

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.