Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Lighting Design website needs review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AdeleLockeLight
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi there flyers,

My business, providing residential lighting design services has recently had a website upgrade and I’d appreciate any feedback that may be forthcoming from the forum. – http://www.mintlighting.com.au

As a lighting professional I know I get a little lost in the catch phrases of my industry sometimes – often not realising I’m describing things in a way that doesn’t necessarily read well to people who have less knowledge of lighting.

I would really appreciate it if a few eyes could find the time to wonder over the home page and let me know if it makes sense to them or if there’s anything that they feel is missing.

Thanks everyone,

Adele.

Mesa Paradigm
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi there,

Don’t really have much time to give you more of a review but the one thing that really stands out to me is when you open the page there is quite a big wall of text/images. You have “Why, What, How?” as a menu item, may I suggest possibly creating separate menu items for each as some people may not be willing to read through all of that singular page in one go (and I am sure you have some important information in there you are wanting to give people).

Good luck

NoBillsForever
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    AdeleLockeLight, post: 154629 wrote:
    Hi there flyers,

My business, providing residential lighting design services has recently had a website upgrade and I’d appreciate any feedback that may be forthcoming from the forum. – http://www.mintlighting.com.au

As a lighting professional I know I get a little lost in the catch phrases of my industry sometimes – often not realising I’m describing things in a way that doesn’t necessarily read well to people who have less knowledge of lighting.

I would really appreciate it if a few eyes could find the time to wonder over the home page and let me know if it makes sense to them or if there’s anything that they feel is missing.

Thanks everyone,

Adele.

I tried to look at site with link provided…did not load to display much? Is it only my browser?

Mesa Paradigm
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Haha I just checked, it appears that they have decided to follow my advice and divide that single menu item into three, you have just been linked to one of the three which is still getting implemented.

AdeleLockeLight
    Up
    Mesa Paradigm, post: 154689 wrote:
    Haha I just checked, it appears that they have decided to follow my advice and divide that single menu item into three, you have just been linked to one of the three which is still getting implemented.

Sure did – it was an excellent call, thanks. It’s all linked back together now and functioning properly

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

It’s nice and simple and looks very pleasant. SquareSpace always does do a good job of that so you’ve chosen well.

If you are familiar with HTML I would suggest giving the navigation a little more definition. Maybe change the colour of the links so they don’t look the same as generic text, and make them bold so they stand out. Some dividers between the links might also help.

I think the link text could be shorter. In an ideal world I would try to get them all on one line. That will help the user view it as a navigation bar and not another section of text. You won’t find many websites that have navigational links across 2 lines.

Instead of having Subscribe as a main link, I would integrate subscribe links throughout the content. Someone who has finished reading your information or a blog post is likely to subscribe, so add a prominent link on those pages.

Ideally you want to get the actual subscribe form on the website so they don’t have to click away from the website. I would drop the questions about HTML or text because nobody knows the answer, and you don’t really need a last name for email marketing so I wouldn’t bother getting that. More fields = less chance of getting a subscriber.

The Inspiration page is a nice idea but the links that stick to the top take up too much space. Without some decent HTML knowledge this will be hard to fix, so you might be a bit stuck with that one.

AdeleLockeLight
    Up

Thanks so much – actioned the shortening of the nav titles and changed their colour, along with the links. I’ve cut back the inspiration page to try and make it easier to use. as far as getting the subscribe onto the same page, I’m at a loss, but I have integrated it now, and pulled out the html question so hopefully it works a bit better.
    Thanks so much for your feedback.
    Cheers, Adele.

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I like your logo and the fact that the website is responsive. It’s great that you have a blog too.

I think the menu looks a bit cheap, it reminds me of the standard blue links that a browser puts in if you don’t apply any formatting. Maybe you could try to reflect your logo colours a bit more throughout the site, e.g. in the menu and other links, using a darker shade of green. Or maybe try a menu bar with a different background or some buttons to add a bit more interest.

The Inspiration page is great, although some of the photos were too large for me to view without scrolling, even though I am on a large screen. The main menu disappeared when I scrolled down, so it was difficult to get back to the other parts of the website.

It’s great that you have broken up the text with bullet points, but it might need some more sub headings. The home page is a bit hard to take in as there is such a big block of text to get through initially (in the Why section). Maybe try bullets or several sub headings so that people can skim read it?

On the contact page, I would make your phone number more prominent. The map is nice but you don’t provide an office address so I assume you don’t want people to visit you anyway – not sure if it is needed. Might be better to focus the page on the contact form and phone number, and maybe put your name in too so that people know who they are dealing with.

I hope this helps!
    Frederike

AdeleLockeLight
    Up

Thanks Frederike, I’ve changed the colour of the nav words – excellent point about the blue. My logo green is a nightmare to replicate, but I think the colour I’ve selected works OK.
    I’ve added in sub-headings – another great tip – thanks again, hopefully it makes more sense to people skimming the site now.
    I see what you’re saying about the inspiration images… might take me a bit more time to get that sorted out, but it’s a great idea to make them more accessible (I haven’t found a shortcut for it yet, so I guess I’ll be spending some time resizing originals.)
    And I’ve moved the map – the studio is open to the public by appointment, and you’re right, that doesn’t come across with no address shown. bigger phone number is also a great tip.

I so very appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this.
    Cheers, Adele.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.