Home – New Forums Tech talk Like this, unlike it, like it again. What is going on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::

Ok, I checked my facebook page this morning and a friend has ‘liked’ a post with the following phrase.

“Like this picture
    Then Unlike it.
    And, Like it again.
    Then Check your friend requests :)

Apparently you then get inundated with friend requests. As far as I can tell, this comes from a group called the FriendRequest.Team.
    I’ve no idea why anyone would want lots of friend requests from strangers.

Why on earth would anyone do this? Where’s the money? What is going on? Why the double like/unlike?

PaulThomas
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

There are plenty of fools ready to scam on FB John.

Personally, I only use FB to post ads for my clients or myself, and on the odd occasion I might post interesting articles I find online. That’s it, I go in to FB once a week at most.

If you are tempted to follow instructions from strangers on FB … pause and think about it for a second. You may end up with a virus! Even JPEG’s can contain malicious code.

For business FB is like a coffee shop tucked away down an ally. Whereas, Twitter is the convention centre of life. It’s fast paced, easy to use and if you don’t like someone you just “unfollow” done! I picked up two huge clients in Twitter and couldn’t be happier!

My advice is to focus on one social media platform and get it working for you then move to the next. It’s difficult to have two or three SM sites going at the same time.

Give Twitter a whirl as a trial. Follow me if you like and I will help you get more ‘valid’ followers! :)

Cheers,
    Paul – @the1seoexpert

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    PaulThomas, post: 115399 wrote:
    There are plenty of fools ready to scam on FB John.

Cheers Paul, I just wondered if anyone knew how this particular scam (assuming it is a scam) works.

PaulThomas
    Up

I was thinking the same thing.

It could be like “Simon Says”, they get people clicking and then the real scam appears! The last big scam I came across on FB was the Costco “We’re giving away $1,000” scam. Affected thousands of people who would obviously be struggling in tough times. Prime targets for a scam like that.

I agree with your comment about wanting friend requests from strangers. If you want to see a great FB model for business, NextByte have it down pat. Their open approach to customer service is brilliant. To do what they are doing requiers a Social Media manager or perhaps a SM team.

I think the down side of FB is you can’t do much research on a follower, whereas on Twitter you can view a bio and if there is a link, check their website or simply see who else is following them.

All that said, SM is like a power drill, if you use it correctly you can drill a nice neat hole, use it incorrectly and you get a nice neat hole … in your head :O

See you on Twitter!

Cheers,
    Paul

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    PaulThomas, post: 115399 wrote:
    For business FB is like a coffee shop tucked away down an ally. Whereas, Twitter is the convention centre of life. It’s fast paced, easy to use and if you don’t like someone you just “unfollow” done! I picked up two huge clients in Twitter and couldn’t be happier!And Twitter isn’t? It’s all how you work it.

Both Twitter and Facebook is full of people shouting to no one. Whatever platform you use, engagement is the key.

If your retail then ignore FB at your own peril. If your b2b then you will find FB harder, however if you enjoy it (which I do) and work it well, then you will find clients.

I have found many clients via FB.

You might find it better to put a link on your Twitter handle in your sig so that people can easily follow you.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

there are many who are caught up in the ‘numbers game’

But to me Twitter is all down hill from here.

If you have 100 followers, and they post 10 tweets a day, what good is it to anyone to get 1000 tweets?? What if you have 3000 followers? It is not a trickle of info, it is a tsunami of crap mostly. either breakfast menus or self promoting links, or just links of no importance…

Facebook, well I really wonder how people make that work….tried interesting stuff, relevant images, some deals….. another black hole.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I have to agree with King, and maybe it is because I am not engaging enough. But I have tried more posts, less posts, personal posts, informative posts, replying to posts and on and on, and on both Facebook and Twitter I get no results, hardly any comments or feedback.

Perhaps I am doing it all wrong, but if I cannot even envision where the results will come from, I am not going to invest more than I already do in it.

Out of the two, I prefer Twitter, simply because they don’t change their format every other day and pay no attention to anyones input!

PaulThomas
    Up
    King, post: 115566 wrote:
    there are many who are caught up in the ‘numbers game’

But to me Twitter is all down hill from here.

If you have 100 followers, and they post 10 tweets a day, what good is it to anyone to get 1000 tweets?? What if you have 3000 followers? It is not a trickle of info, it is a tsunami of crap mostly. either breakfast menus or self promoting links, or just links of no importance…

Facebook, well I really wonder how people make that work….tried interesting stuff, relevant images, some deals….. another black hole.

Personally for me King, Twitter is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a numbers game but I found that you need to convert the numbers into names, real people with real lives, wants and needs.

Social is just as the name applies. I have learned so much from my followers, I have made contacts I never would have made without Twitter, and connected to people who otherwise would have ignored my pitch as just they would any another pitch.

Twitter is a players game, like poker you need to be present at the table to be engaged.

I started by following interesting people, CEO’s, executives, managers, business owners. I block bots and scammers, to keep my group clean. I have never paid for followers and don’t recommend anyone does.

If you’re at a conference you need to work the room. That’s how Twitter is!

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions about how I use social media.

Cheers,
    Paul

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

A social networking platform that I think is underrated in terms of marketing purposes is Tumblr.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.