Home – New Forums Tech talk Link Attraction Content Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EdmundPelgen
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

For many small businesses link building is a pain in the A$$. I’m in the industry and the old link hustle drives me crazy.

Which is why this example I’m going to show you of creating a piece of Link Attraction content is so attractive.

It’s an approach that any business can replicate.

The strategy is called the Skyscraper Method”. SEO’s have been doing this for ages but the term has been popularised by Brian Dean of Backlinko.

The approach is:
    1) Find a piece of content that is doing well in your market or space (attracting social shares and links)
    2) Build a bigger better version of it
    3) Promote the crap out of it by emailing people who linked to the first piece and other influencers

I like it because it’s easy to understand.

I’d add that if possible, make it an industry resource, a go to guide and evergreen if possible so that it has long term relevance.

Have a look at this most recent case study. http://backlinko.com/content-strategy

NOTE: Yes it’s a three-step process BUT the results are proportional to the effort put in to write, design and promote it. Just look at the quality of the final piece of content in this case study..still for smaller niches and markets it just needs to better than what came before.

Any questions?

Ed

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

+1

You’ve summarised the process nicely too but can I just emphasise the fact that this is all about producing a standout piece of content – an asset that matters to others in some way, so good they will talk about it and link to it naturally.

If everyone could produce some really brilliant content for their industry there would be much less SEO work needed!

I recall a link builder produce a resource on link building strategies – which was so comprehensive it still attracts new backlinks naturally to this day.

… aaaaaand it just got another one!

NB – I think its probably dated now, or at least some of the strategies he talked about then would now be unproductive if not dangerous!

Ilya
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I don’t mean this as self-promotion, but I actually run a business that helps business owners and bloggers to implement the exact strategies mentioned in this article.

The strategy is solid and delivers great results. 20%+ increases in traffic after just one campaign are not uncommon. And unlike social media, the increases are usually permanent.

The most common problem with content creation is the perception that if you write something great people will just find it and link to it. Unfortunately, without active content promotion it’s very unlikely.

Also, so many people treat their content as after thought. They are too busy running their businesses. That’s why so much content out there is mediocre at best.

I also would like to add that you don’t need to create masterpieces like the one in the case study. You content only has to satisfy one of these criteria :

• be more detailed or more up to date
    • be better written or more readable
    • be better visually (images, graphics, inforgraphics etc).

If you apply all of the above, you will absolutely smash it! :-)

Great article, thanks for sharing, Ed.

EdmundPelgen
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Good point Aidan.

Hopefully those site owners realise that this all works if they invest in creating an awesome piece of work.

Ed

twillis
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Great post, Brian Dean’s put together some very good (and up to date) resources on off-page SEO.

Your second point is valid, but it’s worth mentioning that it doesn’t have to necessarily be a bigger and better version. Sometimes a great way to build link attraction is simply by localising or modernising a piece of content.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up
    EdmundPelgen, post: 207796 wrote:
    Good point Aidan.

Hopefully those site owners realise that this all works if they invest in creating an awesome piece of work.

Ed

From my experiences so far the challenge is exactly that for small business owners. Developing an understanding about what an “awesome” pieces of content means, that will resonate with their audience, and teaching how to promote that effectively to generate links over time.

In most cases I see that small business owners are relunctant to get involved with content, “my content is boring” / “I don’t have time to blog”, which usually results in

a) outsourced development of thin/spammy content on a small budget
    b) lack of business and industry knowledge contained in the article because of point a)
    c) no content developed at all

Good content doesn’t have to be expensive. Small business owners can produce the content but they have to want to be more than their competition instead of simply producing it because someone told them it would be a good idea or they should be doing it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.