Home – New Forums Tech talk Link Building Update Google’s John Mueller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    ::

You may recall this thread from me previously in regards to link building. Well here is the current update in regards to that particular strategy.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I think they would love to get away from it completely but realise that true organic linking is so damn useful to help rank pages. (They have already told us links will be a factor for some time to come).

I think in their ideal world where there were lots of great pages with high ‘Quality Score’ (i.e. from their content and user experience scores) to show for a search query, they would use the ‘authority’ from backlink profiles as the ‘Bid’ multiplier to rank the pages in order.

So if there were 10 equally awesome pages the authority thing would be the ordering factor only…

That’s a reference to the AdWords adrank algo where your adrank is the product of your quality score and your bid, it is the deciding factor in how the competing ads are ordered on the results page.

The problem is this organic ‘Bid’ multiplier gets gamed terribly so they have to put a lot of effort into trying to adjust it to a more ‘real’ organic score. Hence the message to avoid link schemes and unnatural links and instead to focus on your ‘Quality Score’ and let it attract natural links!

twillis
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Thanks for sharing, interesting comment by John!

What I believe he’s saying here is that link building is not advised where it is essentially artificial – trying to buy links, directory submissions etc.

To me this simply means that to rank organically you should be focusing on creating great content that people will want to link to / share

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    twillis, post: 208762 wrote:
    Thanks for sharing, interesting comment by John!

What I believe he’s saying here is that link building is not advised where it is essentially artificial – trying to buy links, directory submissions etc.

To me this simply means that to rank organically you should be focusing on creating great content that people will want to link to / share

Hi Twillis,

Firstly, I didn’t post this thread so that it “gets out of hand” as it normally does on link-building.

The important thing is to focus on quality for your targeted customer base. Nothing to complicated about that, and in the end you will be rewarded.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Cesar,
    Another important one…

John Mueller Video: Webmaster Hangout – 26 Jan 15

Note at 25 min 22 sec: “My friend’s website has no links & ranks in Google well

At 29 min 57 sec: “What ranking factors are you going to use if you don’t use social media

For small business owners,

There is no question that G uses links in calculating a page’s ranking value but for small businesses there are many, many whole business categories where people don’t need any links at all to attract many SE referrals.

IMHO, the most critical issues in attracting SE referrals are:

1. Defining the target customers and their needs.
    2. Qualifying for as many relevant search phrases as possible.
    3. The level of competition for the search phrases.
    4. Developing the most cost-effective SE referral strategies.

There is no way out of it, building external links that generate optimum ranking points for specific search terms is usually very time consuming and therefore very expensive. Building lots of cheap links is likely to be irrelevant and even dangerous.

So before anyone starts running around building external links they should find out whether they are needed.

The second problem they face is deciding what, how and from whom their external link building needs to work and how they will measure the value of the link building program.

• No one knows the potential range of values a single external link may generate.
    • There are around 20 ranking parameters I could name that G uses or probably uses
    • G can weight each of these differently in calculating a link’s value…

This quote from Cesar’s old post would still seem relevant:

12 Jul 12. “Try a search on G Aust for the word, “home”. There are 22 billion documents that match it.

#1 ranked page has 650 links to it
    #6 ranked page has 2,400,000 links to it

Please explain!”

Wish we had a record of which sites were #1 and #6 back then. They won’t be the same now.

PS: Out of interest, there are currently 16 billion page matches in G Au for the term “home” as of today.

People may want to consider why these pages currently rank on page 1 of results for me.

# 1: http://www.thehome.com.au
    # 2: au.tv.yahoo.com/home-and-away/
    # 4: http://www.blaxlandhomeservices.com/
    # 5: http://www.blaxlandhomeservices.com/
    # 7: http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-blaxland,+nsw+2774/list-1

I’ll give you a hint, I live in Blaxland.

See how important location of the searcher has become in the last 2 years? Search is so much more complex than blindly chasing links, IMHO…

Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    JohnW, post: 208918 wrote:
    This quote from Cesar’s old post would still seem relevant:

12 Jul 12. “Try a search on G Aust for the word, “home”. There are 22 billion documents that match it.

#1 ranked page has 650 links to it
    #6 ranked page has 2,400,000 links to it

Please explain!”

Exactly – it has never been about the number of links, even in the wild days, it’s why I hated tools like MS and the others that looked at numbers of links as important.

I agree there are lots of small businesses that can get good traffic without link building, usually the ones involved in local services where the competition is not intense.

Of course, other businesses in more competitive fields can be a different wok of frogs.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Aidan, post: 208925 wrote:
    Exactly – it has never been about the number of links, even in the wild days, it’s why I hated tools like MS and the others that looked at numbers of links as important.

I agree there are lots of small businesses that can get good traffic without link building, usually the ones involved in local services where the competition is not intense.

Of course, other businesses in more competitive fields can be a different wok of frogs.
    Hi Aidan,
    Amen to your comments about SEO tools.

One group of small businesses that can have big problems without quality links is online shops in competitive search markets.

PS The other factor that kicked in for the “home” search above, was Universal search. At other times “query deserves freshness” may be activated.

PPS: The video I linked above includes the first comment I’ve heard from a G employee that it is now using specific algorithm ranking signals for searches on mobile phones. Seems G is experimenting a lot in this area.

Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.