Home – New Forums Tech talk Linking to external sites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::

We hear the benefits of other sites linking to ours, but are there any benefits to my site if I link to an external site? Purely from an SEO perspective.

This is mainly an academic question, because it’s not going to affect what I’m doing. I’m writing some blog posts for my (quite empty) blog and I’m including links to other sites, but I wondered if it had an effect. It would seem to me that if I’m linking to other sites within my industry, it might help in some fashion?

J

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

John,

If it benefits your customer base that’s great, but don’t over do it. If you are doing it for the sake of SEO, don’t do it at all. These days, the focus should be the benefits, not the ranking.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi John,
    Cesar nailed it in different words. The best long term SEO tactic is to write for your target audience.

If offering them a link to more detailed or related info will provide useful info, DO IT.

Bing has said it looks at external links in its rankng algo. G just says it is more reliant on semantic search. That may or may not mean external links are part of the equation.

The primary consideration in SEO must always be the reader. If a SE cannot “see” the benefit of an external link now, it may as it develops its algorithm.

IMHO, always take the long term view in SEO.
    Regs,
    Johnw

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I did say it was an academic question.
    If no one knows, thats fine, I was just curious.

ashram89
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi John,

Linking to out to other sites can be beneficial. Look at co-citations (not to be confused with co-occurrence which looks at the keywords surrounding your anchor text). Basically, it is a good idea to link to other authoritative websites but make sure you know where they are linking because you may be associated to those links at some point. You can check out this article from Rand at Moz for more details. One thing to note though is that user experience should be paramount to whatever it is you’re doing, so make sure that when you do link out, it benefits the user in the end.

digitalclass
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi John T,

Linking out has its Seo benefits when done appropriately:
    – More likely to get link backs
    – Good for usabilty
    – More likely to be seen as a valuable resource

Does linking out provide direct Seo value, in itself?
    The closest Google has indicated that there is a direct Seo benefit for the site linking out, is in this blog post from Matt Cutts, from Google’s webspam team, where he said “In the same way that Google trusts sites less when they link to spammy sites or bad neighborhoods, parts of our system encourage links to good sites.”

This indicates that Google has a “Reverse Trust Rank” as part of its algorithm which judges trust by a website’s links pointing externally.

Hope that helps,
    Michael

Cesar
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 182098 wrote:
    I did say it was an academic question.
    If no one knows, thats fine, I was just curious.

From an “academic” and “purely from an SEO perspective” as you mentioned, we clearly answered your question.

Academically, if you offer value to your customer/reader base with your knowledge and or recommended resources you offer through your site, then it’s of great benefit.

From an SEO perspective, if you over-do-it for the sole purpose of ranking, then avoid it all together. “Balance is the Key”.

All though Google is strict on quality these days, they are also keen not to identify the key signals for ranking sites, to avoid the “Herd of Sheep” following each other and “Spamming” the Internet once more.

businessclass
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

By linking to high quality sources that help potential customers, you can enhance your reputation with human visitors. That eventually results in more one way links, and higher response rates.

With great information and a good collection of outbound links, website visitors could even bookmark your website and utilize it as a bouncing off point. Human readers like info that’s corroborated by various other resources, and like internet sites that assist them to find out more about a subject of interest.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

“IMHO, always take the long term view in SEO.”
    Well said John.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Any linking out from your site should be highly relevant to that page and be in context with the text etc. Linking out just for the fun of it or to build links is useless.

Google appreciates sites that give back the most relevance to the visitor against the search terms to get there.

So always consider how you can enhance the visitors experience in the context of your business, rather than purely half baked SEO strategies.

Riley
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

If you want to link to another website without Google following the link you can use “nofollow” on the link. This is useful if, for whatever reason, you are linking to a website of substantially lower quality than your own.

Cesar
    Up

Hey Guys! I will give you some good advice. Google wants you to stop thinking about “Links”. Start thinking about what you have to offer in terms of expertise and quality, and surely enough you may well be rewarded somewhere down the track.

PayForPerformance
    Up

Certainly linking to authority sites is beneficial to your site if in context, and relevant. It can be just a detrimental to link to a non relevant site as if they were linking to you (but I’m sure why anyone would do that).

The web is becoming more semantic, so it is becoming less about keywords and links (although they will still be important), and more about the wholistic entity of your web properties, i.e your website, social profiles, web 2.0 profiles, and the way they interact between each other, and with other relevant entities. Links are still important however, and should always be part of the way you think about SEO.

gazzatoadie
    Up

If you link to site that has no inbound links (or only a handful), you are likely to get inbound links from Alexa.com.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    gazzatoadie, post: 186692 wrote:
    if you link to site that has no inbound links (or only a handful), you are likely to get inbound links from alexa.com.

wtf?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.