Home – New Forums Tech talk Linking to external sites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up
    ::
    Aidan, post: 186712 wrote:
    wtf?

My thoughts too. ;)

gazzatoadie
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    Aidan, post: 186712 wrote:
    wtf?

Alexa.com is a website that provides a traffic ranking and other data for nearly every website. On each website’s Alexa page, it has a list of up to five websites that link to it. Those websites are listed as do-follow links to those websites. If you were to link to a website that has four or fewer inbound links, it would result in a link to your website from Alexa.com.

Alexa.com has a Google PR rating of 7/10.

Flying Solo’s Alexa page:
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/flyingsolo.com.au

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    gazzatoadie, post: 186763 wrote:
    Alexa.com is a website that provides a traffic ranking and other data for nearly every website. On each website’s Alexa page, it has a list of up to five websites that link to it. Those websites are listed as do-follow links to those websites. If you were to link to a website that has four or fewer inbound links, it would result in a link to your website from Alexa.com.

Alexa.com has a Google PR rating of 7/10.

Flying Solo’s Alexa page:
    alexa.com/siteinfo/flyingsolo.com.au
    Hi gazzatoadie,

I’m confused by your post…

There is no value to FS from the link on the Alexa page to FS as it is a “no follow” link.

From the Alexa page source code:

Even if it did pass page rank, the value of a link from the page referenced would be virtually “0”.

Alexa could have a PR rating of 10 and any link from one of its website statistic pages would be meaningless in search ranking terms.

As to the value of the Alexa website statistics service, I’ve never used it and I don’t see any value in it now.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 186722 wrote:
    My thoughts too. ;)

Likewise, but I’m still bewildered as to what that acronym means…:D

gazzatoadie
    Up
    JohnW, post: 186775 wrote:
    Hi gazzatoadie,

I’m confused by your post…

There is no value to FS from the link on the Alexa page to FS as it is a “no follow” link.

From the Alexa page source code:

Even if it did pass page rank, the value of a link from the page referenced would be virtually “0”.

Alexa could have a PR rating of 10 and any link from one of its website statistic pages would be meaningless in search ranking terms.

As to the value of the Alexa website statistics service, I’ve never used it and I don’t see any value in it now.
    Regs,
    JohnW

The flyingsolo.com.au link on the flyingsolo.com.au Alexa page is ‘no follow’, but if you look further down the page there is a section titled ‘What sites link to flyingsolo.com.au?’. In that section is a table of five websites and webpages that link to flyingsolo.com.au. The websites have do follow links, while the webpages have ‘no follow’ links.

These websites have an inbound do follow link from Alexa.com, as a result of having an outbound links to Flyingsolo.
    1. yahoo.com
    2. reddit.com
    3. secureserver.net
    4. freelancer.com
    5. blackhatworld.com

Most websites wouldn’t have ‘do follow’ links from Alexa.com.

JohnW
    Up
    gazzatoadie, post: 186863 wrote:
    The flyingsolo.com.au link on the flyingsolo.com.au Alexa page is ‘no follow’, but if you look further down the page there is a section titled ‘What sites link to flyingsolo.com.au?’. In that section is a table of five websites and webpages that link to flyingsolo.com.au. The websites have do follow links, while the webpages have ‘no follow’ links.

These websites have an inbound do follow link from Alexa.com, as a result of having an outbound links to Flyingsolo.
    1. yahoo.com
    2. reddit.com
    3. secureserver.net
    4. freelancer.com
    5. blackhatworld.com

Most websites wouldn’t have ‘do follow’ links from Alexa.com.
    Hi gazzatoadie,
    I’m still confused…

1. The Alexa page has no “follow” links to FS.

2. The Alexa listed pages that link to FS

yahoo.com answers.yahoo.com/activity?… Link is useless to FS’s ranking value
    reddit.com reddit.com/r/australia/… The link to FS from reddit is “no follow”
    secureserver.net/… No longer contains a link to FS
    freelancer.com/ The link is useless to FS’s ranking value
    blackhatworld.com/… Who wants links from this sort of site? This link is useless…

How is this Alexa page or any of the pages listed on it helping FS in the search rankings?

(To the FS Sysop,The title of the blackhatworld page is, “Need Someone To Scrape Forums For Members Email Addresses“. You may want to check it out.)
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

John buddy,

It goes to show how many misguided and confused people are still out there, in relation to back-links. Anyone can get a back-link from Alexa, another easy-link, and passes no value whatsoever.

The day people stop being fixated on links and focus on constructive, useful social and customer engagement, the sooner they will start seeing positive results. Always keep in mind also, it’s not all about Google to succeed.

It also shows, the damage created by the SEO industry, not as a whole, in creating this back-link dilemma that’s still ongoing today.

I think Yandex did well in making that decision.

gazzatoadie
    Up
    JohnW, post: 186868 wrote:
    Hi gazzatoadie,
    I’m still confused…

1. The Alexa page has no “follow” links to FS.

2. The Alexa listed pages that link to FS

yahoo.com answers.yahoo.com/activity?… Link is useless to FS’s ranking value
    reddit.com reddit.com/r/australia/… The link to FS from reddit is “no follow”
    secureserver.net/… No longer contains a link to FS
    freelancer.com/ The link is useless to FS’s ranking value
    blackhatworld.com/… Who wants links from this sort of site? This link is useless…

How is this Alexa page or any of the pages listed on it helping FS in the search rankings?

(To the FS Sysop,The title of the blackhatworld page is, “Need Someone To Scrape Forums For Members Email Addresses“. You may want to check it out.)
    Regs,
    JohnW

I was mistaken.

I had mistaken internal navigation links like this:

… for external do follow links like this:

Now this has got me wondering, where on Alexa.com have I been getting do follow inbound links from? They show up in my Google Webmasters stats.

On the plus side, you learnt about some black-hatters trying to harvest addresses from this site (something that is illegal in Australia).

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

GWT shows nofollow links too!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    JohnW, post: 186868 wrote:
    (To the FS Sysop,The title of the blackhatworld page is, “Need Someone To Scrape Forums For Members Email Addresses“. You may want to check it out.)Regs, JohnW

Thanks John,
    Just found the page so we’ll check it out. I see it’s a year or so ago so hopefully it’s sinking into the depths of time.
    Appreciate the tip.
    Cheers,
    Peter

JohnW
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 186917 wrote:
    Thanks John,
    Just found the page so we’ll check it out. I see it’s a year or so ago so hopefully it’s sinking into the depths of time.
    Hi Peter,
    I was not concerned with the link to FS causing a problem – it won’t.

I was concerned about the security of our email addresses that were stated to be vulnerable to scraping.

Are FS members’ email addresses secure?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi John,

Thanks for following up about this and yes, email addresses held within our system are secure.

We’ve investigated scraping reports like this a few times over the years where spammers have emailed people and claimed to be associated with Flying Solo (or other sites for that matter) even though they are not members or associated with these sites.

What some of these spammers do is trawl popular sites on the internet looking for email addresses that are posted online and then sometimes claim to have some affiliation with the site where they found them.

So while there is no way for them to access any of our member data held securely within in our system, they can obviously scrape content on public website pages. This can be when email addresses are posted on on public threads or sometimes forum signatures or people’s own business website contact pages.

To avoid this on Flying Solo and other websites and also social media, rather than publish your full email address online you can ask users to send you a Private Message or email via the forum’s messaging system. That way they can send you a message but not access your contact details and you won’t need to disclose your email address publicly. Alternatively you can link to the contact form on your website rather than supply email address.

If anyone does get unwanted/spam direct messages from actual Flying Solo members (who will need to be logged in to send them), just hit the ‘report’ link and we can easily identify these people.

In general for business owners, it’s a matter of being easily contactable for genuine prospects and customers without opening up the door too wide to spammers – a tricky balancing act!

Cheers
    Peter

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.