Home – New Forums Starting your journey Liquor licences for home based business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Busy Working Mum
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I am thinking of starting a home based business selling wine. This would be via the internet, mail, fax and going to see customers.

i was thinking of opening a shop, but think this might be a good alternative, as i would have lower overheads and hours to suit. In addition, i think this way i could see if my business idea would work.

I have been searching on the net for Victoria (as this is where i live) to see what the regulations are. I think i need a ‘renewable limited licence’.I wonder if many other people set up at home to sell alcohol? Does anyone out there operate this type of business and can give me some pointers?

thank you

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi There,

Have you come across the Victorian Licence Finder Tool? If not, this should help ensure you have located the right licence for your business.

Also check with your local council as to any general requirements about running a business from home :)

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I imagine there would be things like security you’d need to consider too. If people were aware you were carrying alcohol stock at your home it might mean unwelcome visitors. Just a thought. Although I expect you won’t be advertising your home address. A PO Box would be required. Note that currently ASIC’s new set up with business names is showing private addresses on their system. I know this is being looked at by local govt reps at the moment as there are many people up in arms about it. But security is one thing I can see you’re going to need to think about.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Sounds like a good idea to sell wine online from home, but it may force you to get DA for adjusting your home to a part business and then approving the licence at your home address because it would be then deemed a business.

As kathiemt has said, security would definitly be an issue, also with the name business name searches, if another business is paying for creditwatch and they do a search it still comes up publicly. PO Box wont secure your location to where your actual business address is located either.

Sounds like a fantastic endeavour, best of luck.

tmerrill
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

This post has been an eye opener for me. I’m from the US, and I would highly doubt any city or county would let someone sell alcohol from their home. I also know it is difficult to ship alcohol here as well.

A thought that occurred to me was: could you use a drop shipper and avoid the need of a license? Perhaps not, but it might be something to consider.

Thanks for the question, I’ve found the answers fascinating.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.