Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Live chat with site visitors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Techalite
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if anyone here has had experience with (or has any thoughts on) live chat with site visitors. Basically it allows you (or a team member) to see when someone is visiting your site and start a chat with them via a bit of JavaScript you place on your site.

What I’d like is some opinions of how well this might work in terms of sales. Is initiating a chat with someone who’s browsing your site and asking if they have any questions or just letting them know that you’re there and they can feel free to ask you any questions likely to get them to tell you a bit more about what they need and maybe then help to continue the dialogue over email or phone, or do you think that it might just weird you out that someone else can see when you’re on their site and then try to talk to you when you’re just trying to browse?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

As a customer, I’d never go back to a site that engaged me by live chat. I think the upside to browsing sites is that you can do it at your leisure without being bothered by sales pitches.

Just one opinion…I’m sure there’s plenty that disagree :)

Wendy

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I really enjoy the live chat, but only if I instigate it. As was mentioned, if you popped up whilst I am trying to browse, I would find that very annoying, but I think to have the ‘online chat now’ option is a very useful tool, and allows people to ask questions etc. in a non-confronting manner

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    Techalite, post: 71629 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I’m wondering if anyone here has had experience with (or has any thoughts on) live chat with site visitors. Basically it allows you (or a team member) to see when someone is visiting your site and start a chat with them via a bit of JavaScript you place on your site.

What I’d like is some opinions of how well this might work in terms of sales. Is initiating a chat with someone who’s browsing your site and asking if they have any questions or just letting them know that you’re there and they can feel free to ask you any questions likely to get them to tell you a bit more about what they need and maybe then help to continue the dialogue over email or phone, or do you think that it might just weird you out that someone else can see when you’re on their site and then try to talk to you when you’re just trying to browse?

We offer live chat for sales, support and billing on our website. Our sales team never initiates a chat session with a person that’s browsing our website. In my opinion, it’s always best to let the customer request a live chat.

Cheers,
    Shaun

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I’m in agreeance with all others….. I love sites that have live chat, but I get really annoyed if a box comes up asking to chat that I didn’t initiate.

Another pointer is if you HAVE live chat, make sure it’s manned during business hours. No point having live chat if it’s constantly offline or you take 5+ mins to engage with the customer.

Techalite
    Up

Thanks, everyone, great advice. I think I will end up going with live chat, but as you say not initiate conversations myself.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

If you use Skype you can add instant chat to your site for free.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

I have a small script that works with my gmail chat… you can see it at
    http://www.internetninja.com.au

It’s free.. so I guess I can’t complain..

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I trialled using a live chat feature on my website for a few months – not the same method as you mentioned, where the customer can click a link.

I ended up turning it off because it became a nuisance. If I ever had to step away from my desk, I had to log out and someone on another computer had to log in. As there isn’t anyone at their computer for the majority of the working day, turned out to be quite an inconvenience constantly logging off / on.

I’m not really a fan of a website popping up when I visit to ask if I need any help / sales pitch. If I needed help, I’d call or email =)

– Jake

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

We use livezilla it’s very good.

Techalite
    Up

Thanks so much for the recommendations, guys, I’ll be checking all of these out! With the Skype client – does the visitor also need to have Skype installed or can they chat via the browser without needing the software on their machine?

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I use Digsby – paste the code onto whatever pages you want it on.
    It shows the IP of the visitor (an a lookup) so if you have international presence, you can then adjust your responses to their country (ie for prices)

They do not need any code on their site.

Digsby is also a messenger aggregator, so you can have all your MSN, Yahoo, mTwitter, Facebook and Google Talk etc in the one interface

Oh and its free.

see it in use here http://www.caricatureking.com/contact.php

Update, I now use Livezilla, as Digsby changed their offering.

Maybe one in 1,000 visitors use it.

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

I’ve implemented http://www.zopim.com on a clients website. They sell appliances online, and they’ve definitely turned more leads into sales.

The big thing is not to get in your visitors face, let them come to you with their questions.

Zopim is a professional solution. It will provide you with tracking, statistics, email capture, pre-written answers and a heap of other stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.