Home – New Forums Logistics Logistical Challenges

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jon79
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all
    Happy Easter

I am a newcomer to the Australian small business community, and have just started a business, but have not commenced trading.

I am trying to become a reseller of consumer electronics goods.

A certain wholesaler I am wanting to buy from employs two couriers: Star Express and Australian Air Express.

My challenges are:

– I also work in an office job and am out of the house 8am – 6:30 pm every weekday.
    – The two above courier services only deliver between 9am-5pm, and there will be no one at home to collect the deliveries.
    – I have a caretaker in my apartment building, but he normally leaves packages outside my door, and I am worried about these going missing before I get home.
    – I want to avoid my work finding out about me running a business, so I am reluctant to have goods delivered at work.
    -Star Express has a pickup depot and it is open until 9pm weekdays. But this depot is near Penrith (in Sydney), and is a 120km round trip for me to pick the goods up after work, and is not feasible.
    -Australian Air Express can drop the goods off at the closest post office to my home address, but again this post office is open 9am-5pm, and i am not able to make it back to collect these items whilst I work.
    -I have no friends or relatives in Sydney that are home during the week on a regular basis, that I could get the goods delivered to.

My thoughts:
    -I could pick up the goods from the Australian Air Express depot (which opens between 9am-5pm), but this would entail me taking time off work and making an excuse that I have a “doctor’s appointment” on a reasonably regular basis.
    -I could get the goods delivered in small parcels/lots, and get them left outside of my apartment door by my caretaker, therefore mitigating losses if they do go missing.

Neither of these potential solutions are ideal however. Does anyone have any advice/ thoughts they could share with me? I would also encourage your views on getting the goods insured whilst in transit.

Thanks in advance.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

First of all, if this is going to be impacting on your current job in any way I suggest your let your employer know your intentions. You will be surprised, most employers are very reasonable (Mine said “I always knew this day would come”).

You may consider getting a virtual address – Quite a few home based businesses use these virtual addresses as they can’t be home throughout the day to receive deliveries – It also adds an element of professionalism to your business.

Also, they normally have convenient opening times – I think some are from 7am-7pm.

There are a lot of them around, so do a bit of research on Google and find one thats close to / on the way home.

– Jake

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

I agree with Jake/Emroy – a virtual office is the solution to this. I looked at pricing for one last month and the prices seemed very reasonable. As you would only be looking at their basic product, this would not add greatly to your costs and would allow you to be comfortable that no deliveries go missing!

Kathy

Jon79
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks Kathy and Jake! Very helpful and much appreciated.
    Cheers, Jon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.