Home – New Forums Starting your journey Logo Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    ::

My ‘FREE’ offer extends to anyone but first in best dressed ( offer is for a limited time )

Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Thanks for the recommendation Victor. There are a few problems surrounding 99Designs (unfortunately). That aside, I’d prefer to pay a designer up front for his/her work and not have to go through a middleman.

( how does FREE sound )

Honestly? Scary. I would prefer to pay. Even though I don’t have much at the moment (but it won’t always be that way), I’m up front about it and I think very realistic with my expectations (ie I don’t expect an entire brand identity package for $300, just a logo for $200-$300 or less if I’ve designed it myself and only want it to be put onto a printable format – I think designers call them “proofs”?). That aside, I am unable to get into your website. The white screen is pretty though.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    Beautician, post: 80902 wrote:
    Thanks for the recommendation Victor. There are a few problems surrounding 99Designs (unfortunately). That aside, I’d prefer to pay a designer up front for his/her work and not have to go through a middleman.

Honestly? Scary. I would prefer to pay. Even though I don’t have much at the moment (but it won’t always be that way), I’m up front about it and I think very realistic with my expectations (ie I don’t expect an entire brand identity package for $300, just a logo for $200-$300 or less if I’ve designed it myself and only want it to be put onto a printable format – I think designers call them “proofs”?). That aside, I am unable to get into your website. The white screen is pretty though.

It’s good to see someone with realistic expectations when it comes to web design & development.

Too many people expect too much for too little and love to throw around phrases like “it’ll only take a couple hours”; I find that kind of comment laughable TBH; unless you have experience in the field how do you know how long it will take!? lol

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi There,

I have made up some business cards for some of Jackie’s clients of Keepsakes Designs, and her work is very good also. Has a very nice feel that may suit your business model well, and I am sure she would look after you on price too :)

sensory fx
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 80949 wrote:
    It’s good to see someone with realistic expectations when it comes to web design & development.

Too many people expect too much for too little and love to throw around phrases like “it’ll only take a couple hours”; I find that kind of comment laughable TBH; unless you have experience in the field how do you know how long it will take!? lol

I have to disagree on this one. I think too many web designers overcharge for what they do. Sometimes charging upwards of $100 an hour for someone who has what ? A certificate 3 in desktop design from TAFE ?

Professionals are qualified to charge upwards of $100 an hour, professionals with University Degrees. I doubt there are too many web designers with degrees.

Qualified graphic Designers who have a formal qualification of at least a diploma and have at least 5 years experience could hope to charge upto $80 an hour.

Your run of the mill web designer is kidding themselves if they charge more than $50 an hour.

I have 3 diplomas and an Advanced diploma ( a TAFE Degree ) and over 10 years experience. I would never charge more than $50 an hour and in most cases a lot less.

sensory fx
    Up
    Beautician, post: 80902 wrote:
    The white screen is pretty though.

I would say you dont have flash enabled or dont have the latest plugin.
    http://jdmextreme.com/ is one of my other sites, are you able to see this ?

Beautician
    Up

I doubt there are too many web designers with degrees.

Whoah! *clamps hand over mouth*
    That’s a huge call :)
    Let me just say that I know quite a few good web designers who have degrees. And I also know plenty of good ones who don’t too. All charge according to their expertise and what the marketplace is willing to pay for them.

My electrician charges $120 per hour and he has a year 10 education.
    On a commercial shoot, I can charge $2000 a day. Business wise, a degree for me would be a waste of time.

Your price has no bearing on your education or vice versa.

Nor should it.

I have 3 diplomas and an Advanced diploma ( a TAFE Degree ) and over 10 years experience. I would never charge more than $50 an hour and in most cases a lot less.

Perhaps you are undercharging. Either way, you have over ten years experience and I still have a white screen :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 80987 wrote:
    I have to disagree on this one. I think too many web designers overcharge for what they do. Sometimes charging upwards of $100 an hour for someone who has what ? A certificate 3 in desktop design from TAFE ?

Professionals are qualified to charge upwards of $100 an hour, professionals with University Degrees. I doubt there are too many web designers with degrees.

Qualified graphic Designers who have a formal qualification of at least a diploma and have at least 5 years experience could hope to charge upto $80 an hour.

Your run of the mill web designer is kidding themselves if they charge more than $50 an hour.

Sometimes I think you argue with people for the sake of it!?

I don’t think anywhere in my post did I justify people with little experience charging huge rates, in fact it annoys me when people that have 6 months experience and then go around calling themselves a designer/developer. That is what is wrong with the industry, anyone thinks they can call themselves a designer/developer because they have read a few tutorials; so no, these people should NOT being charging $50/hour, they shouldn’t even be looking for work in the field until they have about 18 months under their belt.

Quote:
    I doubt there are too many web designers with degrees.

Although a degree isn’t everything, that is a bit of a ridiculous claim.

Beautician
    Up

they shouldn’t even be looking for work in the field until they have about 18 months under their belt.

Just out of genuine interest, what should they be doing in the meantime?

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    Beautician, post: 81057 wrote:
    Just out of genuine interest, what should they be doing in the meantime?

Good question. Well myself, for the first 18 months I was studying up the whole time and coding projects for myself. Then once I became comfortable I could do work for others (which was about the 18 month mark) I started freelancing.

I can speak only from a coders perspective though, it may be different for a designer as a lot of their talent comes from their creative ability.. although they do have to get a firm grasp on software such as Photoshop.

To add to my post….. like anything, the more experience you have, the more you can charge. So people with minimal experience perhaps shouldn’t be charging $50/hour.

I myself have been working with websites for over 14 years but only been doing it seriously for just over 7 and I charge $70/hour.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 80987 wrote:

I find your idea of a standardised scale of charges pretty unrealistic.

Two things should determine what you charge – the value you place on your work and the value your client / market places on your work.

That’s one reason why I don’t believe in hourly rates in many professional services industries (gasp, a lawyer who doesn’t believe in the sacred 6 minute unit?). If an expert tax advisor can show me in 10 minutes how to save tens of thousands of dollars, I’m happy to pay for more than just ten minutes of his time…

Cheers,
    Victor

BellaBlue
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Gosh, I didn’t mean to start such a heated debate!

Thank you all for your input. I totally understand what a few of you are saying, and would definitely prefer to pay and get a good logo design that will (hopefully) last for years to come. I am going to be spending a whole lot more than $300 on the rest of my business, so I want to get it right and have something designed that fits exactly what I want.

Again, thank you!

sensory fx
    Up

” sigh “

Greed, thats whats wrong with the world today.
    Fortunately that greedy self centered system is about to come to an end very soon.

Beautician … you are using a Mac computer yes ? Fortunately Mac web browsers are a minority.

Beautician
    Up

No, I’m using a PC actually. I’d love to be able to afford a MAC though :)

Bella, no heated debate here. Just a segue into an allied topic which has proved to be very informative for me (so thanks for that). I’m sorry to have hijacked your thread with my question but the answer proved to be a learning point so thanks again – and to Condor who answered me.

Bella, I understand people are approaching you privately with discounted offers for logos as they have me. This is a great opportunity to investigate the possibility of getting a logo within your budget and worth looking into.

I’m pretty much in the same situation as you except that a designer has kindly pointed out to me that because I’ve since designed my own logo then what I require is logo tracing which is a different service. So, again, another reason to thank you.

What Victor said but in a way that I didn’t articulate very well. Two things do determine what you charge – the value you place on your work and the value your client / market places on your work. This is not about greed either (although that’s not to say it doesn’t exist) but primarily about self respect and honouring what it is you do. If you happen to make money over and above what it costs to feed, house and clothe yourself then good for you.

BellaBlue
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Beautician – I don’t mind the thread being hijacked at all! It was interesting for me, and gave me plenty to think about too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.