Home – New Forums Starting your journey Logo Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    ::

:) Don’t you just love a win-win situation?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    victorng, post: 81080 wrote:
    I find your idea of a standardised scale of charges pretty unrealistic.

Two things should determine what you charge – the value you place on your work and the value your client / market places on your work.

That’s one reason why I don’t believe in hourly rates in many professional services industries (gasp, a lawyer who doesn’t believe in the sacred 6 minute unit?). If an expert tax advisor can show me in 10 minutes how to save tens of thousands of dollars, I’m happy to pay for more than just ten minutes of his time…

Cheers,
    Victor

That reminds me of something I read once; it roughly went like this:

Ted Johnson had worked for a big engineering company for 38 years and was one of their best engineers, but finally decided to retire.

A few years later the company was having a big problem with one of their machines that NONE of their top engineers could figure out; so in desperation the company decided to give Ted a call; Ted agreed to come in and have a look at the machine; Ted inspected the machine and within minutes spotted the problem & drew a circle where the problem was with a pencil.

A few days later they received Ted’s invoice in the mail, it was for $50,000.

The company was in shock, $50,000 for a few minutes work? They asked Ted to draw up a cost chart.

It read:

Cost of pencil: $1
    38 years experience: $49,999

I always liked that ever since I read it! :)

Virtual Marketing Force
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

Hi,

I would suggest that you don’t just get the cheapest logo – your logo will be a key feature of your brand for years to come and changing it down the track can be a big process – rather spend the time and money getting it right now than regretting it later.

I have a graphic designer contact who is a freelancer and therefore less expensive than many other options. She does good work and I would be happy to help you get in contact with her if you like.

Kind Regards,

Lorraine Salvi
    Virtual Marketing Force
    http://www.vmf.com.au

PawsForLife
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Hmm, there’s a fair bit of misinformation and selling going on in this thread. I would strongly suggest the moderators need to have a look in to the practises of the creatives on this board – it’s not just a place to peddle your wares…

That being said, the criticisms of crowd sourcing are completely valid in some respects. Although in others, they are completely baseless.

A logo and branding will help some businesses but not others. For the price, crowd sourcing (especially where multiple ideas are logged) is a completely valid way of getting off the ground quickly and cheaply where a logo is not an intimate part of the business strategy (which I would hazard is most of the time).

Be careful of the circling sharks…

PawsForLife
    • Total posts: 77
    Up
    Virtual Marketing Force, post: 81314 wrote:
    Hi,

I would suggest that you don’t just get the cheapest logo – your logo will be a key feature of your brand for years to come and changing it down the track can be a big process – rather spend the time and money getting it right now than regretting it later.

Getting up and running with something is much more important than creating a brand early. It’s the service / product you need to test in the early phases, not the brand.

The product / service builds a brand, not the other way round.

Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Kim, from what I have seen and experienced, for the most part people genuinely try to help each other in this forum. To come in and just slate this thead by blanketing it as one of misrepresentation and commercial opportunity challenges that and is a bit high and mighty of you, don’t you think? :) If you are so concerned about people taking advantage of others in this thread, there’s a little button at the top that says “report post”. I have no doubt the moderators would be most attentive in reading your concerns. But since you’ve aired rather than acted on said approach, would you mind pointing out exactly what you find to be inaccurate, misleading and opportunistic? This would be more helpful.

Again, you blanket comments regarding crowdsourcing without pinpointing the commentary at which you take umbrage. To aid those that read and/or participate in this thread, being specific would also be very helpful. After all, we can’t be valid and baseless at the same time can we? :)

Regarding the construct of a logo and its relevance to your business, I would wager it would depend on what you were about and in which industry. While it may be perfectly reasonable to assume that a logo is not important to businesses in certain industries, in my industry at least, it has been long proven that a well designed branding strategy does get mileage. That doesn’t mean buying the most expensive nor the cheapest service to obtain that logo either. It’s about finding someone you get along with, who can understand what you’re trying to convey about your business in a way that both makes sense to you – creatively and financially.

As VMF suggests, a logo is a potential long term viability/liability. In metaphorical terms I’d say it’s akin to a mast on a ship. How strong the mast is how far you sail, not the sail itself, meaning that you can have a bland logo but if it’s strong (memorable) then it’ll sell. So it’s important to invest what you can at the time of commencement. This isn’t always possible of course but the premise is there. To therefore suggest that a logo is not part of a business’ strategy could be viewed as hazardous.

Adam Claydon-Platt
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Hi BellaBlue!

I know you’ve already received a lot of helpful tips from this thread, but I thought I’d just add my own personal favorite place to get all graphic/web/corporate identity work done: http://www.vworker.com

For a logo, you should be able to get something decent on there for about $20-30.

And yes it’s true that it may not be Fantastic (though I’ve always been very impressed with the ones I’ve seen), but in the start-up stages of business I always suggest outlaying as little capital as possible until you start to generate a profit and see if there really is potential for your business idea…

In addition, through those sites you have the ability to employ individuals in less-privileged countries, where unemployment is high, and the “dole” is non-existent, so in that way you’re also doing your part to help those in less-fortunate circumstances as we are here in Australia.

And if you give them a reasonable bonus if you’re happy with their work, it could be the price of a few Lattes for you, but the equivalent of a week’s wages for them, which can really make a difference in their lives!

Hope this info helps,

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    PawsForLife, post: 81356 wrote:
    Hmm, there’s a fair bit of misinformation and selling going on in this thread. I would strongly suggest the moderators need to have a look in to the practises of the creatives on this board – it’s not just a place to peddle your wares…

Hi PawsForLife,
    We keep an eye on all threads and overall I think there’s plenty of genuine help being offered here. We do have strong guidelines around pure self-promotion, but where members asked for specific professional services it is appropriate for people to offer help.
    There are always going to be widely different views and debate on value/process/methods for going about design work (as reflected in this thread) which is part of the appeal of open forums.
    As always, we do love to hear feedback, suggestions and reports as it helps us keep on top of things so thanks for your ongoing involvement.
    Cheers
    Peter

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

I have found that if you want some work done relatively cheap Elance is the best place. Check it out http://www.elance.com

angsm1th
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Bella Blue,

I’m a freelance designer based in Sydney. Personally, I would quote $300 minimum for a logo design, and around $550 for a Corporate ID package. It depends though, as some clients have no real idea and it often means you have to do several concepts in the first round so they have a choice to pick from.

As everyone has mentioned – logos are a central part of a business strategy, and (as both a freelance designer and a full-time digital manager) I find it incredibly difficult to take a business seriously when they’re logo was bought for $20 from a “professional design studio”.

Spend the extra money now, create a beautiful brand and reap the benefits!

Good Luck!

A

http://angsmith.com.au

flipajob
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi there,

For sourcing a logo design try http://www.flipajob.com.au all services here are $100 or less.

Good luck.

Mark

BellaBlue, post: 80633 wrote:
    Hello!

I am in the process of developing a little business idea that I have had for a while, and I wondered if anyone could help me with a couple of things.

Firstly, can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive graphic/logo designer? I have a fair idea of the sort of thing I would like, but do not have the technical know-how to put my ideas in to practice.

Secondly, I already have an ABN as a sole trader for another very small business that I have. I presume that I can use this same ABN for my new venture, but I am not sure what I have to do (if anything) regarding this. Do I need to add my new business name to this, and register the business name?

I am hoping to set up a little online retail store.

Many thanks in advance!

Rudra
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi all,

Just saw this thread and figured I’d help out the small business that did my logo and graphics for my website AudioVibes. They are called Make Your Mark Creations and it is a sole trader business that have only started recently.

The business is actually my sisters and her prices are quite low to try and get the business in such a competitive environment. If anyone is interested shoot her an email at [email protected] and mention my name.

She has done everything for my business so logo, website graphics, t-shirt design, business card design and gift card design.

Cheers
    Rudra Radasandaran
    Director
    AudioVibes
    [email protected]
    http://www.audiovibes.com.au

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    PawsForLife, post: 80678 wrote:
    http://99designs.com/

Try them out for logo designs – Australia crowd sourcing start-up – very cost effective.

This is not Australian, based in San Francisco.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    Leisa at Alexandra Design, post: 82800 wrote:
    This is not Australian, based in San Francisco.

San Fran via Melbourne, where the guys are from. Smart enough to see where the money is …

Carofly
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    BellaBlue, post: 80776 wrote:
    Many thanks for the helpful info. I am really still in the planning stage, I will be using our family savings to fund this, so I have to balance affordability with getting exactly what I want. Does anyone have any idea of the cost of getting a logo designed? I was thinking that up to $300 or so would be okay, I really can’t afford thousands!

Again, thank you. Lots to think about.

Hi BellaBlue,

I’m a freelance graphic designer and would love to help you out.
    Drop me a line if you would like to talk about your logo.

[email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.