Home – New Forums Starting your journey Logo Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    3ntr3pr3n3ur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up
    ::
    bluepenguin, post: 206359 wrote:
    I used Fiverr once to get a logo designed out of curiosity and the designer sent me back the Qantas logo. Be careful.

….no way!!

Tell me this is legit………??!!

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    3ntr3pr3n3ur, post: 207296 wrote:
    ….no way!!

Tell me this is legit………??!!

True story. I promise.

MaraRoberts
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Elance and fiver are ok to start but the most important thing would be to not waste hours of your time trying to find the right person just to spend $20. Weigh up ‘convenience, cost and your time’.

Best of luck!

Mirella Vertigo
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Here’s a fantastic article about a designer who posed as a company and enlisted Fiverr to design a logo—a logo that one designer stole from a stock photo site, and one that another designer did not technically render correctly, thus making it useless and unsuitable for print and small-scale use.

http://blog.folyo.me/the-5-dollar-logo/

“If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur.” – Red Adair

Your brand is arguably your most important business asset, so if you decide to go with one of these sites, please do your research first. :)

Mirella

Ethanson
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

As per my experience, you should not use these logo generator tools.. The logo designs are almost repetitive and might get you caught in one of those trademark issues.

Even if you go for someone professional, do some research on your part to see if the same design hasn’t been used elsewhere.

ckgdesign
    Participant
    • Total posts: 48
    Up

Bit surprised how many people have decided to roll the dice with places like fiverr.

If the ‘designer’ is sending through “100 concepts” then they aren’t even designing a logo for your company.

A good logo isn’t a logo that necessarily looks nice. A company logo should communicate what your company stands for, who your target audience is and what sort of price range your product or service offers. People make decisions based on what your logo looks like. Your logo may be the only thing a person sees when deciding whether or not to buy your product.

Don’t buy a car based on their logo? Don’t buy a computer because you don’t like their logo? The list continues.

If you’re spending $5 or even $40 on a logo, the job isn’t being done correctly by both you and the designer. If that’s the price you’re putting on the face of your company, then you aren’t valuing your business highly enough.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ckgdesign, post: 207891 wrote:
    Bit surprised how many people have decided to roll the dice with places like fiverr.

If the ‘designer’ is sending through “100 concepts” then they aren’t even designing a logo for your company.

A good logo isn’t a logo that necessarily looks nice. A company logo should communicate what your company stands for, who your target audience is and what sort of price range your product or service offers. People make decisions based on what your logo looks like. Your logo may be the only thing a person sees when deciding whether or not to buy your product.

Don’t buy a car based on their logo? Don’t buy a computer because you don’t like their logo? The list continues.

If you’re spending $5 or even $40 on a logo, the job isn’t being done correctly by both you and the designer. If that’s the price you’re putting on the face of your company, then you aren’t valuing your business highly enough.

So what do you suggest one would have to pay for a logo, even if it doesnt look nice.

ckgdesign
    Participant
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    bb1, post: 207892 wrote:
    So what do you suggest one would have to pay for a logo, even if it doesnt look nice.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say in regards to ‘even if it doesnt look nice’.

However, the cost is going to depend on a wide variety of factors such as how big your business is, time frame, experience of the designer, amount of concepts, style guide creation and so on.

A logo might look good to you and your friends, but is it the right design for the people you’re trying to target? How does it compare to the competition? Does it fit your product? etc. A logo may not look like something you like, but might be best for the socio-economic group you’re trying to target.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    ckgdesign, post: 207903 wrote:
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to say in regards to ‘even if it doesnt look nice’.

However, the cost is going to depend on a wide variety of factors such as how big your business is, time frame, experience of the designer, amount of concepts, style guide creation and so on.

A logo might look good to you and your friends, but is it the right design for the people you’re trying to target? How does it compare to the competition? Does it fit your product? etc. A logo may not look like something you like, but might be best for the socio-economic group you’re trying to target.

It was 2 questions really,

But the main one was what is a reasonable cost for a logo. You state that $5 or $40 isnt (and yes I do realise that is to low), but what should the average person be looking at, is it $100.00 or is it $1000.00, whats a ball park figure, we are talking about small business’s here so we need to be realistic, I know government departments and big corps spend $100’s of 1000’s. My budget or I would guess 99.9% of other FS’ers wouldnt run to that. Sometimes $40.00 is a lot for a small business. And thats if we have a nice or a not so nice logo

bluepenguin
    Up
    ckgdesign, post: 207891 wrote:

When it comes to number of concepts, I often tell clients that you don’t go to your doctor so he can give you 10 possible ideas on why you’re sick, you trust that due to his training and experience, whatever diagnosis he gives you will be the right one.

I good designer doesn’t need to give you 100 concepts. A great designer only needs to give you one, and it will be worth far more than whatever you pay for millions of unique concepts.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    bb1, post: 207915 wrote:
    Sometimes $40.00 is a lot for a small business. And thats if we have a nice or a not so nice logoLet’s be honest.

For a local gardener that is happy to mow lawns and do some weeding and garden maintenance – not get rich but pay the bills – cheap branding would be fine. (under $500)

However, if that gardener wanted to build a larger business rather than just having a job, then investing in good branding, as well as well marketing material would be pretty important.

Larger organisations, or up and coming businesses understand how good design helps make them money.

Another example is a local restaurant I know. They paid many thousands of dollars to do branding, menus, and shop and window design. They are competing in a very tough area with other trendy restaurants. It’s a lot about the ‘perception’ as it is the food.

A 5 buck copied logo isn’t going to cut it there.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 207974 wrote:
    When it comes to number of concepts, I often tell clients that you don’t go to your doctor so he can give you 10 possible ideas on why you’re sick, you trust that due to his training and experience, whatever diagnosis he gives you will be the right one.

Sorry have to disagree with this one how many times have you been to the doctor and he/she says it could be this, or this or that. Lets start with this pill, if that doesnt work after a week heres a script for pill 2, and if you are still sick, come back and see me in 2 weeks. Sorry I know to many people who have had to go to multiple doctors over a long period of time. I wouldnt be using a doctor as an example of this, having said that if my doctor is listening to this thread, keep doing the fine job you are doing.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 207979 wrote:
    Let’s be honest.

For a local gardener that is happy to mow lawns and do some weeding and garden maintenance – not get rich but pay the bills – cheap branding would be fine. (under $500)

However, if that gardener wanted to build a larger business rather than just having a job, then investing in good branding, as well as well marketing material would be pretty important.

Larger organisations, or up and coming businesses understand how good design helps make them money.

Another example is a local restaurant I know. They paid many thousands of dollars to do branding, menus, and shop and window design. They are competing in a very tough area with other trendy restaurants. It’s a lot about the ‘perception’ as it is the food.

A 5 buck copied logo isn’t going to cut it there.

So we are saying that you have to spend well north of $500.00 for a good logo, to go any better than just lawn mowing and weeding. Interesting.

Must admit I cant remember the last time I looked at the local restaurants logo to determine if I went in or not, I generally check out the menu, reputation, and looks of the place. never said oh lets not go there because they have a dodgy logo. Or hey thats a great logo, lets go in.

Logo’s are important, but like I have said in other threads how many widgets do you have to sell to get that logo, and will that logo bring in any extra bsuiness.

bluepenguin
    Up
    bb1, post: 208006 wrote:
    Sorry have to disagree with this one how many times have you been to the doctor and he/she says it could be this, or this or that. Lets start with this pill, if that doesnt work after a week heres a script for pill 2, and if you are still sick, come back and see me in 2 weeks. Sorry I know to many people who have had to go to multiple doctors over a long period of time. I wouldnt be using a doctor as an example of this, having said that if my doctor is listening to this thread, keep doing the fine job you are doing.

But you get my point, right?
    Just pretend instead of a doctor, I used… ummm… a bungee jumping operator in my example, you don’t choose and pay them lots of money to give you 100 options of how they could secure your rope to your legs, you choose them because they know what they’re doing and you trust that the solution they provide to fit your unique ankles will be the best possible option.

Weird example, but my brain is currently occupied with logo design and there’s not much space left over.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 208018 wrote:
    But you get my point, right?
    Just pretend instead of a doctor, I used… ummm… a bungee jumping operator in my example, you don’t choose and pay them lots of money to give you 100 options of how they could secure your rope to your legs, you choose them because they know what they’re doing and you trust that the solution they provide to fit your unique ankles will be the best possible option.

Weird example, but my brain is currently occupied with logo design and there’s not much space left over.

Another bad example, there is no way you are getting me to do bungee jumping… LOL.

And yes I do understand what you are saying, if I was presented with 100, I would be very sus on what I was getting. My main point was a bit like SEO, we say a certain price point is a rip of or to cheap, but what is the right price point for a logo design. CK said $40 is to cheap, so is it 50, 500, 5000. And than I take you to my response to Mathew, it all comes down to what your business can afford. No good us saying you have to spend $892.52 to get the ideal logo, but that will break my business.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.