Home – New Forums Starting your journey Logo taking flight…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sansamad
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Coffee time…and a question :)

I am at the pre start-up stage. I have business cards and I want to use the ‘logo’ off my card to drop into pricelists and facebook scenarios and may need to resize etc. What format/file type can I request from the printer so that I can do this myself?

Thanks,

Sandra

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

If you don’t need to make any changes to it then JPG or PNG would be fine. But if you can get it, the original (.PSD, for instance) is better because you can have changes made in the future.

sansamad
    Up
    JoshG, post: 162531 wrote:
    If you don’t need to make any changes to it then JPG or PNG would be fine. But if you can get it, the original (.PSD, for instance) is better because you can have changes made in the future.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply. :) I have been sent the PDF file but yes the PSD is what I am after. Is it quite reasonable for me to ask for my business card in original/PSD file format?

Cheers,

Sandra

JoshG
    Up
    sansamad, post: 162532 wrote:
    Is it quite reasonable for me to ask for my business card in original/PSD file format?

Cheers,

Sandra

That really depends on the designer and the price. Some will do it cheap but keep the original and copyright so that you have to go through them for other changes, but some will give you everything. Some may even charge extra for the original.

Honestly, I’d check the contract you have with them. If it doesn’t mention originals then you’re probably within your rights to expect them, otherwise just ask very nicely and see what happens. Good luck!

sansamad
    Up

Thanks Josh for all your help :)

Cheers,

Sandra

JoshG
    Up
    sansamad, post: 162538 wrote:
    Thanks Josh for all your help :)

Cheers,

Sandra

No problems, good luck! :)

LuckyDip
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

If it’s a vector logo (which it should be), you should ask for an .eps file as well.

sansamad
    Up
    LuckyDip, post: 162556 wrote:
    If it’s a vector logo (which it should be), you should ask for an .eps file as well.

Hi LuckyDip,

Thanks for your reply :)

My cards are stylish though simplistic. So there is only a standard font that has been sized up and there are no graphics.

Cheers,

Sandra

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

If you have a pdf it may be a vector pdf that can be opened in Illustrator and scaled.

When I provide logos I provide various formats including vector pdf, eps, jpg, psd, png, colour and mono.

Cheers.

sansamad
    Up
    KarenC, post: 162566 wrote:
    If you have a pdf it may be a vector pdf that can be opened in Illustrator and scaled.

When I provide logos I provide various formats including vector pdf, eps, jpg, psd, png, colour and mono.

Cheers.

Hi Karen,

Great! Thanks for your help and input :)

Cheers,

Sandra

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Will second the vector requirement.

A raster image (eg JPEG, PNG) is one that is defined on a pixel by pixel basis, so if you enlarge the image you will lose quality. A vector is defined in individual colours and shapes, so they can be enlarged indefinitely without any loss.

Common vector formats are AI, EPS and PDF.

Good luck!

Martin – The Web Guy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.