• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    vinainna
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

And Johny, how do you think how much could you pay for a logo? Simply interesting. Minimum and maximum?

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

Overall you want to go with a $5 logo that’s your choice, you want to go with a $1000 logo, your choice. I always judge a business based on their brand image, tells me a lot about their character that’s attached to the business. That’s just my opinion anyway.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Hi Vinainna.

And Johny, how do you think how much could you pay for a logo? Simply interesting. Minimum and maximum?

Nothing.

And here is why.

Noone yet has convinced me of the value I get from paying for one.

All the examples I have ever seen, including in this thread, are irrelevant. I have never seen anything, anywhere that tells me any real benefit I get from having a logo, as a small business owner.

You cannot compare multi national companies to a small business. Just as you cannot compare a doctor, lawyer, or someone who designs a chair to a logo designer. These are just more examples as per my above comment.

I could name any number of international companies that have strong brand recognition, but poor quality products and poor service. Conversely, I encounter many a small business that has to have great service and quality otherwise it will not survive.

Here is something I wrote about branding:-

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140819023703-169973897-since-when-has-branding-been-about-quality?trk=mp-reader-card

I have never yet heard anyone say I will do business with you because I like your logo, but many have said they will work with me because of reputation, service, my perceived knowledge and experience.

Is there a subconscious element that revolves around colours, fonts, etc. I believe there is. The question is then how much value should I place on that? For me, it is not enough to warrant the cost, and I’d prefer to focus on other stuff.

A few years go I was looking to have a website developed. I contacted numerous website developers and designers in Australia. They had great logos and webpages, and yet somehow weren’t able to pick up the phone or return emails.

If I liked their logos subconsciously, it didn’t matter much as I disliked their service more. End result was I didn’t proceed.

I think I said in a comment somewhere above that if people are getting the $5 logo, then they also don’t see the value in paying more for one. And if that is the case, it is the designers who haven’t done a good enough job in selling the benefit of what they provide.

ckgdesign
    Participant
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    Johny, post: 241104, member: 34822 wrote:
    I have never yet heard anyone say I will do business with you because I like your logo, but many have said they will work with me because of reputation, service, my perceived knowledge and experience.

I’m sure they have.

However, I can guarentee you’ve made a purchase or used a service based on what a company looks like from a visual point of view, haven’t you? You look at a website, shopfront, product and say to yourself, I’m not buying that using their service because of its visual appeal. Whether that be expensive or cheap. I can guarentee that you might choose a more premium or lesser product based on its visual style. But, you don’t TELL the company that you did/didn’t use their service because of it.

Is there a subconscious element that revolves around colours, fonts, etc. I believe there is. The question is then how much value should I place on that? For me, it is not enough to warrant the cost, and I’d prefer to focus on other stuff.

…So, you contrasted the first point you made with this second point

A few years go I was looking to have a website developed. I contacted numerous website developers and designers in Australia. They had great logos and webpages, and yet somehow weren’t able to pick up the phone or return emails.

Oh damn! Every designer must be the same then! Just like every doctor, every lawyer, every gardener, every builder!

I think I said in a comment somewhere above that if people are getting the $5 logo, then they also don’t see the value in paying more for one. And if that is the case, it is the designers who haven’t done a good enough job in selling the benefit of what they provide.

If you believe that, then that’s fine. And, you’re right.

I can’t try and pursude someone like you. If someone values how their company is represented visually, then I want to talk to them. If they don’t really care, then I’m obviously not the right person for them.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

I think you need one -we’re living in a very visual world. Even if you look at your tabs at the computer screen, the ones with a logo just look better. That said, I have no logo yet. I will either draw something myself once it’s raining or ask one of my daughters.
    I went on some of these sites free logo maker and so on and they are all VERY ugly.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

First post in a very long time…

I’ve only skimmed this thread, but these kind of discussions are always so entertaining – you’d think it was a matter of life or death for some.

In my experience it’s not so black and white:
    There are businesses who’s logos, and more importantly, their branding as a whole are the the key to their success – Think alcoholic drinks aimed at young people – the actual product doesn’t need to be amazing, people in their target demographic will generally go for the coolest looking product, they may not even like the taste of it.

And on the other hand, there are plenty of businesses who have terrible logos and branding, or none at all, yet they are incredibly successful. If you walk through your local shopping centre, I guarantee you’ll find a bland looking shop with a hideous logo that has been making a roaring trade for years and years.

I used to be one of those designers that thought it was my mission to shoot down anyone who questioned the power of a good logo, but my experience shows that while strong branding (including a good logo) can be essential to a successful business, this is not always the case.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

That is really a thoughtful answer! Imagine a gardener or a plumber with a bad logo, but good job, nice, punctual and good manners, the logo doesn’t count.
    I’ve got a logo now, I am not sure weather or not it represents me and my obscure herb plants, but it was basically for free – a swap.

PrintOp
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Wished I’ve had joined the conversation just when it started! lol! Anyhow, here’s my two-cents.
    Yeah I have to agree that price matters. But I will leave it to the businesses to decide which ones to work it out with – the pricey or the cheapy ones? Consider the budget that your business is happy spending on that Logo, and by Logo I mean a professional one. Is there such a thing as an unprofessional Logo? Unfortunately the answer is YES! Is the cost a factor? Fortunately the answer is NO! Obviously there are Logos that are artfully and intelligently designed at a reasonable price and there are those that are crappy (excuse the choice of word) at a price as high as the blue skies.
    What am I driving at? Simple. One can only create a masterpiece when one is willing to invest time, attention and a huge piece of brain work! You may not be the designer but you can work with the designer to ensure that your business Logo is conceptualised and completed to really serve its purpose and sends out its message to the business world. Hence, the importance of a meaningful flow of communications between the Designer and the business owner. Share you ideals, your thoughts with the Artist and let him formulate those into a Logo that has the power and the flair of your branding and business presence.
    Does any or all of the businesses out there need a Logo? The answer is an absolute YES! However, if you talk about the relevance of the Logo to the growth of the business I would say…erhmm..excuse me but I have to say the Logo is not designed to sell per se. In a way it does but your Logo is not in any way responsible to the growth or failure of your business. The strategy lies in our hands. So why would you still need a Logo? Simple. It represents your Business. It is the face of your business. It tells the people who you are and what you do. It is your silent Marketing arm that leaves a mark in the minds of your target market. It is the impact that your business makes in the heart of the thinking clients. The impact is insanely huge that your customer would only have to look at your Logo and decide that they are in good hands (if it is a service-oriented company) or they have in possession a product that boasts of superior quality. Well, stuff like this happens when you are already able to establish your business presence as a consequence of great exceptional service and goods. So, what’s a Logo for? It is there for a noble purpose: to present the entirety of your business without saying a word!

dima
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up
    ckgdesign, post: 240983, member: 59271 wrote:
    I love have Bert decides to say:

Google $0
    Nike $35
    Coca Cola $0

…What a rubbish type of post yours is…Your post infurates (sic) me…

I think the point Bert was making was more to do with the fact that you need to select the right designer, rather than assuming that the $1000+ logo will be ‘better’ than the $400 one or the free one your bookkeeper came up with (in reply to someone suggesting a price-range they recommend). If so, I think that is hard to argue with, but anyway…

As far as the original question goes, Google is a really interesting one to bring up though.

It is easy to say how effective it was because the company is now huge, but to the casual observer it is hard to say the original logo really conveyed any of the traits that they would have wanted to share at the time? It is well known that word of mouth was a major driver in its uptake. It is case where I would say the logo was secondary. Maybe they would have spread faster if they had a great logo too, but who knows?

For the record I do agree that ‘great’ logos (together with all the other elements of a brand) can bring in more business. It also depends on the business you are in though. Being in architecture, a design oriented field, I have no doubt that people are making a judgement based partially on our logo. You’ll always need to seal the deal with service/quality, but it may help get you those lineball leads who could have walked away otherwise.

aprilbiz
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I used designcrowd’s logo contest for less than $300. Got a very professional looking logo. Just add that touch of professionalism to the business image. I’ve seen someone else using fiverr for logo design, very poor quality.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    bb1, post: 240937, member: 53375 wrote:
    Its not the cost of the logo, its the quality of the logo, or the appeal of the logo.

Just some examples
    Coca Cola = $0
    Google = $0
    Nike = $35

Don’t get caught in the how much trap,
    You have cherry picked three examples. Most big brand logo’s spent a lot more than $35 bucks.

Coke and Nike lucked out, but both business are built on branding.

https://stocklogos.com/topic/famous-logo-designs-and-how-much-did-they-cost

MatthewKeath
    Up

In addition to my above comment, it’s worth noting that Coke ending up giving shares worth around $600,000 to the guy who did the logo.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 242460, member: 3997 wrote:
    You have cherry picked three examples. Most big brand logo’s spent a lot more than $35 bucks.

Coke and Nike lucked out, but both business are built on branding.

https://stocklogos.com/topic/famous-logo-designs-and-how-much-did-they-cost

Matthew, Yep I sure did cherrypick some examples, but that just goes to show that it can be done without spending mega dollars. Some comments on this thread indicate that you must spend up big, but comment was aimed at saying it all comes back to what you get for your dollars. I could have also cherry picked some examples of where hundred of K have beinf spent on a new logo, and they were flops. All I am saying it is not the $’s, it is what you get,

Even if you have a million dollar logo and you business ethics, fundamentals, and all that are not right you will still be a flop.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Those examples in that website are not all just the cost of logos, many are the cost of the whole branding strategy.

If you are going to look at companies like these, then take the example of nike. It wasn’t even nike for the first several years of operation. It was a successful business and it was only a change of strategy (having their own brand of shoes) that meant the change in name and the nike logo.

There was no “swoosh” logo when the guy was selling shoes out of the boot of his car. It came later.

Even so, those examples are irrelevant to the original question which is about how the logo benefits small business. All the examples provided are for branding or rebranding of already well established/large companies.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    bb1, post: 242473, member: 53375 wrote:
    Matthew, Yep I sure did cherrypick some examples, but that just goes to show that it can be done without spending mega dollars. Some comments on this thread indicate that you must spend up big, but comment was aimed at saying it all comes back to what you get for your dollars. I could have also cherry picked some examples of where hundred of K have beinf spent on a new logo, and they were flops. All I am saying it is not the $’s, it is what you get,

Even if you have a million dollar logo and you business ethics, fundamentals, and all that are not right you will still be a flop.
    The examples your provide are as invalid though.

1. Both Nike and Coke spend mullions on branding each year. They are branding companies that sell a product.

2. The Original coke logo was made when Coke was make when that was the style of the time for such products. Since then they are had numerous re brands and other logos’s used that would have cost big $$$$’s over the last few years.

3. When Google created that logo, they had no money and needed something quick. They then built an amazing tool that people wanted to use (they never advertised or cared from branding back then). The actually rebranded last year – and have spend big on redesigning their prpoducts with branding front and center)

4. The Nike was again was a great logo that they guy go right and no, then didn’t pay. But they did pay the guy a fortune later on so it was not free. Plus see point one!

People who think branding is pointless always bring up those three examples, but is always wrong.

People make decisions on branding every day. Small business can ignore branding at their peril.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.