Home – New Forums Starting your journey Looking at starting a New Venture!!! Need advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    johannpsaila
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    Firstly hopefully everyone is experiencing success (Learning) in such challenging conditions.
    I have not been on this site for a while, but I thought it might be a good idea to get back in touch with everyone on this network.
    At the moment I am currently working a sales manager in the logistics industry for Victoria and Tasmania. I have another business which operates six days a week and I have three staff managing it well (Very good team). After a year and a half of very hard work I am starting to see small return on the business. We are in the process of fixing a few little screws to make more money.
    After a hard first year in business my wife and I are starting to build up our selves both finically and emotionally again.
    My long term goal is to be board a director with an organisation and at 28 years old i am pretty focused.
    I love sales; I am a very confident person, driven and good at what I do. To be honest I am on a good wicket and even thought business is very tough (even our own store) I would like to branch out into another business.
    I have a idea of teaching people on how to sell, source leads, engage with consumer, customer service, motivational speaking, writing E books on how to sell.
    I am planning to start this really small and hope to use the internet to deliver this product and even skype to communicate with clients.
    I personally think there are allot of “ok” sales people but I strongly believe we always have room to improve.

Need some feed back please
    Cheers
    JP

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hi Johann, what state are you in? My first thoughts are to get yourself aligned and mixing and mingling with people who are doing what you want to do. And an ideal organisation for that is the National Speakers Association of Australia. I go to their network meetings here in Melbourne but they do have meetings in other states too. I know you’ll learn heaps from those who are already doing what you’re doing but you’ll also have much to offer them as well. It would be a good mix I’m sure.

johannpsaila
    Up

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply,
    I am also based in melbourne.
    I have had a look at this site allot of information and had a gret read on some profiles.

Cheer
    JP

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Ummm what is the question you need advice with?

You told us what you do and plan to do, but no specific question!

If it is “should I get into trying to sell selling the answer is there is always a need, but it is sadly all too rarely recognised by those who need it most.

So your challenge will be the selling of the selling :)

johannpsaila
    Up

My real question is this, is their a need for this service?

Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

Yes, there is, sure! I think that anyone here wants to learn few new tricks to sell more. The real question is how are you going to convince people to pay you for your knowledge?

You say that you are a very good sales person, but you need to prove it. I’d share some of your best sale experiences with the forum members, explaining what you did to make the new potential customer to sign the contract, and why you did that.

This will surely engage a discussion and it will be soon clear enough if you are as good as you say :) and if you are, believe me you will get lots of attention in this forum and more than one paying customer as well.

Lets see how you sell yourself, and at what price :D

Rico

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

That’s why I think you should go to a National Speakers Assoc meeting. I really do think you’ll learn how to put your stuff together to teach others what you know. Have you heard of Brad Tonini? Suggest you Google him. He runs a Friday Sales school here in Melbourne and was formerly a Chapter President of the speakers assoc.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    johannpsaila, post: 124316 wrote:

Defintely.

Steve

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    johannpsaila, post: 124316 wrote:

Well yes there is a need, but the challenge is: “Is there a desire?”

I would suggest you need an angle to create instant recognition of need by business – and aim for bigger business rather than small (10+ staff) and that could be – “are you losing out to internet sales? How to keep your customers and not drop prices”

That is very topical and front of mind for many businesses.

Another could be “How to turn browsers into buyers and keep them for life”

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

I’ve seen this model one to many times before, if it works for you.. Well good luck to you.

Few questions though;

1. What is the difference with you, compared to someone with a proven track record?
    2. If your so good at sales why is your business finding it tough in this climate?
    3. Do you a testimonial following that your experience is valid?
    4. Also which is it? Selling, selling? Or trying to get onto a board of a organisation?
    johannpsaila
    Up

Hi all,
    I have testimonials but I also have allot of respect from current clients and past client. My ultimate goal is to be on a board but I dont want to put all my eggs in one basket. I am very good at time and I can always squeeze time in
    For me this little project is to raise capital for my other passion
    Which is shares….

For me if I need to achieve a goal I will look at ways at getting their but making sure I live what I am doing in the process
    For me this would not be a full time thing but only a part time bussiness to raise capital

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi JP!

When it comes to marketing online, a lot of people make the mistake of focusing on the product and what they can deliver. The first thing you need to do when you are planning to market online is to test the market. You have to find out if there is an actual market online for the products or services that you wish to sell.

Then, you have to check out the commercial viability of the market. You need to know whether the people that are searching for your goods and services are actually willing to buy or they are just searching for actual information.

Afterwards, you need to look for a weakness in the market that either good marketing SEO or paid advertising can bring your products up to be able to fit that gap in the market. Only then, do you match your products and services to fill that gap in the market.

You really need to have a baseline. A lot of people in this forum suggest other advice seekers to market online in Facebook, Linked In, and etc….But no one explains that you must find if there is a market there first, and then match the product to the market.

If you need any help with this, I am more than happy to help. Just send me a message and I will get back to you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

johannpsaila
    Up

Hi,
    You make a valid point and I agree with you in a sense that you need to see if there is a market for this service.
    Is there a need for this service? I personally think there is a market for this service, but are individuals willing to pay for the service, well that is another question.
    We live in interesting times where allot of people and business are struggling finically.

My target market would be young people who want to develop their skills in selling, I believe having the ability to sell these days is a important fundamental.
    Why? You want to get a job, you need to know how to sell yourself, after finishing university are you prepared for the real world? How to be a professional and how to excel as one too.

How much are people willing to pay this service and what I think i am worth are two different things.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Hmmm…

There are many agencies that are used as a outsourcing means of large departments stores to train there staff on selling products.

What is so different about you besides the many others out there?

Some questions you have to ask yourself, it can be done there are plenty of take away shops out there, all with different sauces, though which is the best?

Though businesses are struggling financially it usually comes down to there marketting and selling, yes your right there, though business owners I know need a financial restructuring, you have to find what your good at selling and what? Trying to raise capital for a business and selling yourself won’t be enough to get across the board without education.

Alot of people get the misconception about raising capital for their businesses, some are natural at it, some even know the right people, but when it truly comes down to it is that you need to be educated in exactly what your doing, and this is in legal terms and financial terms, this why most business people seek professionals to advice them, such as a corporate board.

Right now to grow businesses is through acqusitions, where you must have the means and resources to grow that business better.

Sorry if I’m little pessimistic.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I can’t say I’m really sold by the idea. I also need to be critical of the way you write your posts. I’ve found them difficult at best to read. So, if you’re planning to deliver your material via written media; I don’t think you’re quite ready, unless you have it professionally edited (which is going to cost you a mint).

The harsh reality with your venture is the market is already saturated. There are “how to sell for dummies” books, as well as hundreds (if not thousands) of keynote speakers in any city in any given week being paid thousands to teach people to sell. These people often have large organisation experience, and can prove they really sell.

I could write a book and train people to be business analysts, but the problem is – no one knows who I am. Moreover, why I think I know more, and should be an authority figure to them. I’m a nobody in the business world.

You mentioned you were in your late twenties. Doubtful anyone older than about 23 is going to take you seriously unless you’ve headed the sales and marketing division of an F500 company – or can prove with complete public disclosure you’ve done something remarkable (in the millions of dollar sphere of sales).

The intent of this was not to put negativity on your idea – but to give you things to think about when it comes to marketing yourself. Don’t take this as destructive criticism.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.