Home – New Forums Find the help you need Looking for a Guest Blogger

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

My predicament: I dislike writing and creating content. Unfortunately any online business these day’s also have to master the art of content creation. Over the last year we have tried outsourcing, but with limited budget it is very hard to get good content that feels genuine.

Guest blogging sounds like a solution to my problem. It seems like a win win, although it does feel like I will be benefiting the most, especially if I can get real experts that have very good writing ability’s.

My question I suppose is to those who are currently guest blogging. Do you feel it is a win win. ie are you getting value for the time taken on creating the content? Other than a link back to your own site from the blog, do you get any other rewards, do you also get paid for your efforts as well?

How many articles a month would you contribute to an individual blog? I’m thinking of finding 4-6 guest bloggers all with different expertise and asking for 1 post a month from each.

If anyone is interested my request for a guest blogger is up on sourcebottle. http://www.sourcebottle.com/query.asp?iid=30&qid=24538

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Jason,

It can be difficult coming up with content, even if you are into writing.:)

Personally speaking I am much more willing to guest blog if I have a relationship with the blog owner, an appreciation of the aims of the business or an understanding of potential blog traffic (think writing for Flying Solo vs writing for a new business blog).

I personally like writing so I’ve enjoyed writing for my website and the few guest posts that I’ve done. However when approaching others to guest post for my blog (only 1 so far) I was very upfront with anticipated traffic, how I would use social media to promote the post etc so that their expectations were clear. In this case we agreed that we would write for each others blog. This meant that we both had to invest time writing, promoting etc. A win-win for me anyway.

As far as return, I see it as an opportunity to develop new business relationships, improve my writing skills (hopefully) and to get in front of a new audience. Writing for the smaller sites has resulted in small numbers of visits to my site – visits I wouldn’t have had otherwise and these visitors tend to stay on my site for between 5-8 minutes which I think is pretty good (disclaimer: not an expert). On the other hand a significant portion of my traffic comes from Flying Solo (possibly due to my monthly articles) these visitors also spend between 4-6 minutes on my site (thank you). So I am getting an increase in traffic and my FS articles are ranking decently for some of my keywords.

If you’d like regular contributions that is a little different, you may need to offer an incentive. I’m much more likely to do 1 or 2 guest posts a year as agreeing to a monthly blog post is a significant time commitment. I’m sure others with more experience in this area will have different opinions though.

I hope this has been helpful.

Mary

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Just my opinion, but I feel sweetening the deal with some remuneration is likely to help. I personally keep a list of relevant blogging opportunities and the ones with some cash on offer (some as low as $60) sit at the top of my priority list.

When you step back and analyze it, offering someone the chance to write for you is in most cases similar to saying ‘design our logo for free and you will get good exposure’.

There is plenty of competition out there for a guest bloggers time. You really need to convince them why they should spend 2 – 3 hours writing for your blog and not another.

Jason@Plumsale
    Up

Mary,

Thank you for your insights.

Initially I was thinking of trying to find some regular guest bloggers to form a relationship with, but as I was eluding in my post and you have really confirmed is that to find that win win balance will be based on what I can provide to the guest, ie the quantity and quality of traffic and promotion on my behalf, and this will be balanced with frequency of blog entries.

My current plan is to evaluate the responses I receive from sourcebottle and narrow it down to the people I feel I can do business with, then be totally upfront with them and as to what I can offer in terms of our visitors and what I will do to promote on other social platforms etc. Then leave it to them to offer their services on an adhoc basis, so then we can build our relationship from there.

Jason@Plumsale
    Up

James,

I definitely want the guest blogger to feel they are also getting enough out of the relationship for the effort they put in.

I think everyone is different on what they will want in return. I suppose I don’t know what effort is involved in creating a guest article. Being a little naive, I was thinking 30 minutes research and 30 minutes to write it.

I personally do around 10 – 15 hours a month free work which has no direct immediate benefit to me other than increasing my emotional bank account with others (quote from “7 habits of highly effective people” book).

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Jason,

I agree with James about the time investment, I spend between 3-4 hours writing most of mine, some even longer so it is a significant investment on the guest writer’s behalf.

Not sure what the solution is but you will need to convince people that their time investment will be worthwhile.

Good Luck,

Mary

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.