Home – New Forums Find the help you need Looking for a joiner/carpenter/shop fitter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up
    ::

We are opening a shop in a shopping centre with very demanding “guidelines”.

I’ve gone through my usual channels of asking people I know (and don’t know) who they would recommend to do some basic carpentry/shop fitting for us.

The problem we’re finding is everyone who’s been recommended is booked solid for months. We’ve called several of the bigger mobs in the area but because the work we need done is relatively small, it’s not something they’re willing to take on since there’s so much bigger work to be had. All we’re after is a bar bench, some bench seating, and some basic facia/facades (I don’t really know what they’re called, small false walls to cover basic cabinetry).

Anytime I approach anyone who’s doing some sort of shop fit-out and get a hold of their boss, it’s the same old story… booked solid.

Our next port of call is to go through the local newspapers looking for anyone listing themselves as carpenters or joiners etc, but they have to meet a pretty strict criteria for the shopping centre regarding their own workers comp if they have off-siders, personal liability to $20M, suitable insurances, it won’t be cash-in-hand type work, etc

Without sounding like a complete noob, how do I not end up with a DIY/handyman guy and where would I start the conversation?

“Hey mate, before we get into it, have you done any work for a shopping centre before?
    “You’ll need to provide evidence of your insurances and evidence of previous works.
    “You’ll need to have an ABN… etc etc etc”

And so on, spilling it all out before they just hang up on me?

I could ALMOST get away with doing the bar bench myself and I have seating benches that I can simply buy. But the paneling around the counters and fridges are well beyond my scope.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you’re in Victoria, call Carlo or Chris at Troubleshooters Available (labour hire), they usually have plenty of shopfitters on their books who would be compliant and could organise and do the work.

Their labour work as contractors (not employees) and the rates are reasonable.

d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up

Thanks Greg, NSW Central Coast for me, but thanks for the idea!

Also another thread I’ve been watching has info about checks which I found useful too.

Quote:
    Don’t know if you are already doing it but I found when searching for tradies, that going to the appropriate licensing website and doing a search, especially for disciplinary actions and history helped a lot. Linking to the tradie license page from something like QBCC Search saves time and offers additional information above what other competitors offer. You could take it a step further and search any legal decisions made against them like in Civil Administrative Tribunals. Wish I’d done that before I got my doors done.
    and

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.