Home Forums Marketing mastery Looking for a software agent – or to sell myself

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    brownbag
    • Total posts: 37

I’ve designed a piece of software for our store which is quite unique and I’m sure that it could have enormous benefits for other stores. I’d like to try to sell it to other stores like ours.
    I do think it needs some refinement – currently it is browser-based software and I’m getting a quote into getting an app built for it – maybe a Windows or Android app.

My wife thinks that I could make more by finding a company that builds apps and then markets the software – maybe for a royalty or percentage of the business – like going into a partnership. Yet I’m not sure if such a thing exists.

Is there such a place that you can go with your software?

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

Hi [USER=112769]@brownbag[/USER] – nicely done there?

If you want to go down the path you have suggested – and like you, I am not sure it does exist, I would look for at least a couple of things:

1. I would be far better to use your lawyer to draft a contract so that your interests are looked after as a default.

2. You would get the best results if the firm you partnered with is already selling into the vertical markets your software targets eg, automotive retailers.

A huge risk for you is that they take you on, then do not put a lot of effort into selling the software.

Good luck.

Paul

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Stop, Stop now, go back to step 3 in the process and start again.

What I see wrong with your proposal to date, you think it’s a great software package, you think it’s unique, you think other business’s will want the package. The problem I see to date is it’s all you.

Before you spend any dollars (thats the hard earned stuff), go and find out if anyone else besides you, your cat, your mother in law, etc, thinks it’s any good.

There are so many app’s out there that the developer thought everyone wanted, needed, would fall in love with, but no one wants them.

I remember a few people who have come on here saying I have spent Mega dollars developing this app that I think the world needs, but no one wants it. Well had they done some research upfront they would have saved a few Mega dollars.

Step 1 is to go and do some market research, and talk to other business’s that you think will buy your product, and I don’t mean Fred down the road, who you have coffee with every Friday.

Research, Research, Research.

Happy weekend

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    bb1, post: 267907, member: 53375 wrote:

What I see wrong with your proposal to date, you think it’s a great software package, you think it’s unique, you think other business’s will want the package. The problem I see to date is it’s all you.

Before you spend any dollars (thats the hard earned stuff), go and find out if anyone else besides you, your cat, your mother in law, etc, thinks it’s any good.

There are so many app’s out there that the developer thought everyone wanted, needed, would fall in love with, but no one wants them.

I remember a few people who have come on here saying I have spent Mega dollars developing this app that I think the world needs, but no one wants it. Well had they done some research upfront they would have saved a few Mega dollars.

Step 1 is to go and do some market research, and talk to other business’s that you think will buy your product, and I don’t mean Fred down the road, who you have coffee with every Friday.

Happy weekend

What Bert said.

You don’t want to spend all your money before even selling your product to the world. It’s the opposite, spend as little possible to see if people would buy your product.

Stop what you’re doing with your app, set up a landing page and start selling your idea to see if people/companies would even consider paying you money.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    BusinessTrade, post: 267911, member: 113709 wrote:
    Stop what you’re doing with your app, set up a landing page and start selling your idea to see if people/companies would even consider paying you money.

Sorry a landing page is a lazy person way of doing research, who really doesnt want to know what people think.

Sure people can sign up and say yes I am interested at the click of a button. Easy Peezy. But what do they really think.

Go and visit business’s, talk to them (thats old fashioned), look them in their eyes, and maybe even get some real feedback, also you never know, they may all say yes great idea if you added this or that feature. A landing page doesnt do any off that.

Do real research,

brownbag
    bb1, post: 267907, member: 53375 wrote:

Happy weekend
    Thanks for the advice – much appreciated. I should have explained a bit more. The software has been built for my wife’s business and is hugely successful there – we have already significant benefit for the cost of the development. I have done research and know that there is a market for it. I know what similar shops have to cope with and how this software can improve their bottom line – it is a simple proposition.
    The question is not about whether it is worth doing but how to go to market. Do we :
    1. approach other similar businesses similar to my wife’s who have a need for this software, and possibly burn them if the proposal or the marketing is not ready and even give them ideas to get something similar built.
    or
    2. Do we partner with an organisation that can take this proven concept and already developed software to the next level before we go to market.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    bb1, post: 267914, member: 53375 wrote:
    Sorry a landing page is a lazy person way of doing research, who really doesnt want to know what people think.

Sure people can sign up and say yes I am interested at the click of a button. Easy Peezy. But what do they really think.

Go and visit business’s, talk to them (thats old fashioned), look them in their eyes, and maybe even get some real feedback, also you never know, they may all say yes great idea if you added this or that feature. A landing page doesnt do any off that.

Do real research,

BusinessTrade, post: 267911, member: 113709 wrote:

Re-read my comment Bert, you’re just repeating what I already said.

Paul – FS Concierge

I would start documenting the actual benefits, especially as they relate to:
    1. Actual time savings
    2. Actual cost savings
    3. Actual profit increases

Using your wife’s business, be as transparent as possible.

Then I would run a project where x number of businesses were approached over a set time period and start distilling the results.

This will give substantial data around where you are shining and where you need to improve, as well as the level of demand out there etc.

You can then use that data to work out the best way forward. If you look for a partner, having that data will form a valuable part of the process both as part of your pitch to them as well as to monitor their performance.

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,523
    brownbag, post: 267915, member: 112769 wrote:
    Do we :
    1. approach other similar businesses similar to my wife’s who have a need for this software, and possibly burn them if the proposal or the marketing is not ready and even give them ideas to get something similar built.
    or
    2. Do we partner with an organisation that can take this proven concept and already developed software to the next level before we go to market.

Option 1.
    But there’s no need to burn them. Be honest that you’re just starting to roll it out. Their feedback is more valuable initially than sales. If you start a relationship, you can come back to them when you’ve improved the product/pricing/offer/etc.

This process is going to help you do option 2 if you ever hit a plateau in sales or need help scaling an already successful product. You’ll have identified the best clients. Figured out how to make implementation easier. Be able to share success stories. Calculated $$ savings. Etc.

AirBnB (for example) started out by visiting hosts apartments individually to get them set up. In doing so they learnt what the concerns or difficulties were with adopting their service (and learnt how to sell it). Had they outsourced their marketing, they never would have understood their customers so well (or known how to improve their product).

Good luck!
    Dave

brownbag

Thanks for all the advice guys. It does look like it will be drastically better for me to sell to a few local business first and try to get as much feedback as possible along the way, before I start looking for a partner. From what I’ve seen myself also, I doubt that I’d get partner, or anybody to market my software, until I have some level of success other than my wife’s business.

Paul – FS Concierge

There is a parallel between your story and Afterpay – this is very interesting reading:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/afterpay-brain-bubble-came-from-jeweller-ice-online-20191101-p536h6.html

brownbag

Yes, I see the parallel, not in size but in the original purpose of the software.

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89

Call the businesses you think will like it. If you do 3-6 hours of cold calling, you will know if it’s is worth pursuing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.