Home – New Forums Find the help you need Looking for an accountant that doesn’t rip me off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    ::

Hi guys, this is the experience I have with my accountant.

1. I can’t call him, I have to organise meetings to talk about any accounting issues
    2. He has no idea about technology, I think I’m being charged extra for his staff to understand Xero
    3. He gives me no indication of charges accrued throughout the year or how much my return will cost me
    4. When my company tax return is due, it costs me $2,500 and takes about 10 weeks to do

I have a pretty simple accounting requirements, I have losses from old businesses and a few complicating factors but I do my personal tax return myself and all I need is a decent accountant to do the company tax return for my trust.

Any suggestions? I don’t care where they are located I’d rather just deal over the phone.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

Xavier. Axle Edge Accounting.
    He’s a member on here as well..

Chris Brodie
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

Hi Dan

I would like to offer my services to help you out with your accounting needs and I can certainly resolve the issues you mentioned. I’m based in Melbourne but have a few clients interstate, liaising via the phone/email has never been an issue. Please have a look at my website and testimonials. If you are interested give me a buzz and we can have a chat to discuss your needs further and work out a fixed fee.

All the best,

Xavier Xi
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Happy to chat,

call us, maybe we can help, or even direct you in the right direction.

cheers

websitedesigner
    Up

Thanks for the replies guys.

steve201
    • Total posts: 278
    Up

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear things are not travelling so good with your accountant on the Gold Coast. I read what you wrote about a Xero based tax return taking ten weeks to prepare. It seems a little bit much when Xero is an automated accounting system online.

I am a CPA Public Accountant and Xero Certified Advisor in Melbourne.

We only charge for work completed and not training. We can also accept calls, emails, and letters on a regular basis – there is no charge at all just to ask for basic advice that might take a short email or telephone call to put right.

Feel free to email me or call me 0432686499. I don’t mind discussing how we can help.

We even have a free Facebook page where clients can gain free access to youtube videos on a variety of topics in their own time and at their own pace.

Thank You.

Steven Thomas CPA
    Director, Thomas Service Holdings

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Dan, I highly recommend Janna at Fletcher Tax http://fletchertaxaccountants.com.au/

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

What in the dickens!? It sounds like you are seriously being ripped off. Not on. Glad you’re open to finding another.

Someone who will answer simple questions without a meeting shouldn’t be too hard to find!

Best of luck.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,726
    Up

I’d suggest that $2500 per annum for company compliance handled by a mid to upper quality accountant is very reasonable. You get what you pay for (not excusing the apparent poor service you have received).

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Ah the age old question of what am I paying my accountant for?

I was involved in chartered firms for 15 years and definitely know the difficulty really with clients understanding the charges for quality accounting and tax compliance. It was always a tricky business because in the end as a company owner, you pay 1000’s to be told that you owe money to the commissioner. It is a difficult situation but I can say, there is a lot of compliance and obligation placed on the tax agent to ensure the rules are followed and a fair bit of work that goes on in the background prior to your financials and tax returns being completed.

Having said that, some will be very efficient ans some wont be and so you are doing the right thing if the time is dragging on and you are still experiencing high costs, which I suspect $2500 is btw.

Dont be afraid to move, the new tax agents will ask for all information they require from the existing tax agents as well. Good luck with it all.

websitedesigner
    Up

Thanks guys. James pricing is never as simple as when its discussed in a forum like this. I understand this having run a services business for 6 years. But I asked him how much my bill would be and he said ‘less’ and proceeded to tell me how bad his last accountant was and how he had to let her go. I don’t agree with this way of going business. I’ve had bad staff. I suffer those decisions, the clients don’t – at least not directly

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,726
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 134669 wrote:
    Thanks guys. James pricing is never as simple as when its discussed in a forum like this. I understand this having run a services business for 6 years. But I asked him how much my bill would be and he said ‘less’ and proceeded to tell me how bad his last accountant was and how he had to let her go. I don’t agree with this way of going business. I’ve had bad staff. I suffer those decisions, the clients don’t – at least not directly

Agreed – it’s easy to blame staff but the buck stops with management.

The reality is that mistakes happen in business. It’s best to take it on the chin, accept responsibility, rectify the issue, make sure it’s not repeated and move on.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    WattleWebDesign
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

My uncle is an excellent accountant & tax agent! http://www.bristax.com.au

IantheG
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Dan,
    How did you go with looking for a new accountant?
    I can tell you that $2500 is quite steep for just one trust especially since you are on Xero.
    If you didn’t find someone – I am happy to have a chat.
    We are a new firm based in Brisbane. We offer fixed fee quotes for any work done. As a rough indication- we would charge $1400 for a trust and 2 individual tax returns (depending on the data that was provided to us).
    We are chartered accountants and have 13 years experience in the industry – and we can say we have the experience of working in a big firm without charging you the big firm prices.

websitedesigner, post: 132267 wrote:
    Hi guys, this is the experience I have with my accountant.
    1. I can’t call him, I have to organise meetings to talk about any accounting issues
    2. He has no idea about technology, I think I’m being charged extra for his staff to understand Xero
    3. He gives me no indication of charges accrued throughout the year or how much my return will cost me
    4. When my company tax return is due, it costs me $2,500 and takes about 10 weeks to do

I have a pretty simple accounting requirements, I have losses from old businesses and a few complicating factors but I do my personal tax return myself and all I need is a decent accountant to do the company tax return for my trust.

Any suggestions? I don’t care where they are located I’d rather just deal over the phone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.