Home – New Forums Starting your journey Looking for Feedback on a Business Name!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brent Foster
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

So I have registered the business name Evoko.

This will primarily be used for creative services. It’s a little (yet not overly) obscure, has a good number of characters for a URL, and was derived from the word ‘Evoke’.

What are your thoughts? Am I on the right track, or should I go for something less obscure?

Any feedback is welcome, even just a simple “good!” or “bad!” will do.

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

Hi

I like it a lot

Have you checked out trademarking the name? Have a look at ipaustralia.gov.au

D

Brent Foster
    Up

Trademarking is the next step, will have a look now.

PRO, post: 147235 wrote:
    Hi

I like it a lot

Have you checked out trademarking the name? Have a look at ipaustralia.gov.au

D

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Quite like it Brent!!

There’s a cool little tool I use for checking username availability. It’s namechk.com.

Hope that helps!

Don’t forget IP Australia, ASIC, domains etc.. Im sure you’re already onto that ;)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Brent,

Nice name but the au domain its already taken by a guy called Brent :)

Steve

Brent Foster
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 147285 wrote:
    Hi Brent,

Nice name but the au domain its already taken by a guy called Brent :)

Steve

Thanks!

It sure is, and that Brent would be me :)

I decided to secure the domain’s and business name at the beginning of the startup. I can always rebrand before going live if the name doesn’t stick.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

A couple of quick notes if you intend on carrying out your own trademark searches:

1. An earlier trademark may be seen to conflict with your name if they are so similar, and in connection with similar goods/services to your own that confusion in the marketplace is likely. So, be sure to broaden your search to include similar names. A search finding that the exact name Evoko is ‘free’ does not actually mean you could register easily.

2. Use the database at http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/Falcon_Users_Cookies.clear_User rather than the TM check tool that is linked in business name information. In my opinion it’s a better search tool/more in depth etc

All the best :)

softz
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I like the name mate,

and one of the great things IMO about being n the creative services is the fact you can be creative and be outside the square a bit more

Pawpost
    • Total posts: 48
    Up

Sounds good to me. 100% subjective, but I think creative companies that use vowel consonants leapfrog like Evoko sound better… just seems more imaginative for some reason. Hopefully the IP thing works out for you.

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

It’s very pleasant to say. If you test it against a few norms it might fail, but it sounds good.

Could you tell it to someone on the phone without spelling it?

Probably not. It can get irritating when you have to continuously repeat the name letter for letter.

On the other hand you may benefits from this naming tactic in that it reinforces the brand in the mind of the person on the other end.

Does it describe what you do clearly?

Not really. For the domain name and social media accounts certainly stick to Evoko for the length and crispness. On your documents and website you might want to be called Evoko Creative.

I appreciate that without using 5 words it’s probably impossible to describe the business in a name, so just try to narrow down the possibilities as much as possible.

Evoko could be an eco-friendly African safari as much as a creative agency whereas Evoko Creative probably could not.

That being said I’m sure there are plenty of wild names to disprove the above.

Seacraft Gallery
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I like the name!

Good luck with your business!

Cheers,
    Jennifer

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

When I first saw the title of your thread I thought ‘oh, oh’. Seen it many times. Someone new in business wants advice about their chosen business name, only to find that someone else has gone off and registered it before they could. Not nice, I know, but it happens.

So, I was really glad to see you had registered it and the domain too (make sure you get both the .com and the .com.au).

Trademarking is also important. You need to protect what is yours.

Congrats on your business and the business name.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.