Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Looking for sales staff?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blp_Sales
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am new here, and there seems to be a number of threads about searching for sales staff. I run a company called vSELL, and we are an outsourced sales agency. Forgetting that for a moment, I have had vast experience in hiring sales people, managing sales people, being a sales person myself – you get it, I’ve been there, done it, and had success and failures over many years. I have worked for startups and multinationals.

My tips for hiring sales people:
    1. Work out what you want. Do you want a farmer or hunter? That is, an account manager or a BDM. They are two very different people. Once you have worked out what you want, be honest in your communications and advertising.

2. Work out what you want part 2. Are you trying to poach from a competitor and have somebody with industry contacts, who genuinely can hit the ground running? Or do you want somebody who you can train? Can they be young and enthusiastic, with the right attitude? Again, be honest in your advertising.

2. Have a flexible base salary, both advertised and when in discussions. If you want somebody experienced, you will need to pay more. If you want somebody keen and enthusiastic who is young, you can pay less as a base.

3. Make commissions uncapped, and don’t limit them. Put accelerators in place. Pay commissions at most monthly, this keeps sales people motivated. Further, to stop sandbagging, allow the sales person to earn a % of everything they sell.

4. How are the leads going to be generated? If they are inbound, and the sales person will be flat out attending to these, say so. If the sales person is expected to generate their own leads, make that clear as well. This way you will target the right people for interview that you want to hire.

5. You have to like them and trust them. If you don’t, how will your prospective clients?

6. Have realistic expectations, and communicate these clearly to any prospective employees. Give examples of how they can hit their targets.

7. For advertising, cast the net wide with your criteria. Seek, Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook etc. The more people that see it the better.

8. Never hire on the spot. Have at least two interviews, with different questions. preferably have a second person in there for at least the second interview, for a different perspective.

9. Ask the candidate to present to you in the second interview. Give a scenario, and have them present your product. This way you will see what you are getting, and whilst the product knowledge won’t be spot on, you will see if they are any good.

10. Back them in. Once hired, train them, work with them, help them, go to appointments with them, encourage them, congratulate them, give them as much time as you can, if they are putting in the effort.

If all else fails – outsource it!

BLP

Hamish Jones
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Great tips. Thanks.

We’ve been hiring and firing sales staff for years in one business I am a partner in and the below makes perfect sense.

Cheers,

Hamish

Blp_Sales, post: 125652 wrote:
    Hi,

I am new here, and there seems to be a number of threads about searching for sales staff. I run a company called vSELL, and we are an outsourced sales agency. Forgetting that for a moment, I have had vast experience in hiring sales people, managing sales people, being a sales person myself – you get it, I’ve been there, done it, and had success and failures over many years. I have worked for startups and multinationals.

My tips for hiring sales people:
    1. Work out what you want. Do you want a farmer or hunter? That is, an account manager or a BDM. They are two very different people. Once you have worked out what you want, be honest in your communications and advertising.

2. Work out what you want part 2. Are you trying to poach from a competitor and have somebody with industry contacts, who genuinely can hit the ground running? Or do you want somebody who you can train? Can they be young and enthusiastic, with the right attitude? Again, be honest in your advertising.

2. Have a flexible base salary, both advertised and when in discussions. If you want somebody experienced, you will need to pay more. If you want somebody keen and enthusiastic who is young, you can pay less as a base.

3. Make commissions uncapped, and don’t limit them. Put accelerators in place. Pay commissions at most monthly, this keeps sales people motivated. Further, to stop sandbagging, allow the sales person to earn a % of everything they sell.

4. How are the leads going to be generated? If they are inbound, and the sales person will be flat out attending to these, say so. If the sales person is expected to generate their own leads, make that clear as well. This way you will target the right people for interview that you want to hire.

5. You have to like them and trust them. If you don’t, how will your prospective clients?

6. Have realistic expectations, and communicate these clearly to any prospective employees. Give examples of how they can hit their targets.

7. For advertising, cast the net wide with your criteria. Seek, Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook etc. The more people that see it the better.

8. Never hire on the spot. Have at least two interviews, with different questions. preferably have a second person in there for at least the second interview, for a different perspective.

9. Ask the candidate to present to you in the second interview. Give a scenario, and have them present your product. This way you will see what you are getting, and whilst the product knowledge won’t be spot on, you will see if they are any good.

10. Back them in. Once hired, train them, work with them, help them, go to appointments with them, encourage them, congratulate them, give them as much time as you can, if they are putting in the effort.

If all else fails – outsource it!

BLP

brookbyherbs
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi there sorry I don’t know your name but wonder if you have some thoughts on hiring “commission only” sales people who work from home. Do you think this can work successfully for small companies who can’t afford permanent sales staff but are willing to pay generous commissions based on success?
    regards Jackie

Blp_Sales
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi Jackie,

My name is Ben – nice to meet you :)

My opinion on hiring commission only sales reps. In theory, it is terrific. All reward, no risk. However, in reality, it is usually different. Usually (and I know there are exceptions – I am one of them), people who are working for comms only can’t find a job elsewhere paying a job, and can be desperate to earn a sale – as they have to earn a living.

This can tarnish your brand, the sales people can make commitments that you can’t fulfil, and they say and do a lot just to get the sale. If you can find the right one, then it is perfect!

As a general rule of thumb, you should expect to bring in between 2.5 and 3 times the base that you pay your sales people on salary.

I am passionate about sales, and it is a skill and a trade in its own right.

At vSELL, we pay our sales people a retainer, or a base, and offer generous commissions on top of this. We understand that people get sick, that sometimes people have bad days, and these people still need to live, feed a family etc, which is why we pay the base.

We do operate, depending on the product, on commission only, however obviously because we are an outsourced sales agency, our risk is spread – so we can afford to do that. Sometimes individual businesses can’t.

I hope I’ve answered your questions – please let me know if I haven’t!

Ben
    vsell.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.